+++Blood Angels Outpost+++

Captain Semper

2nd captain is done. That means vow 1 is finished!

gallery_82196_14224_492905.jpg

From the side and a group-photo with both captains and some tactical marines.

gallery_82196_14224_157495.jpg

gallery_82196_14224_382279.jpg

For the moment I do not have anything left to paint for another vow, just 4 death company... But there is still time left, so ill be back!

Congratulations on some excellent completions - when I get around do doing my Praetor Captain, I hope he looks that good! ^-^

As for a follow up, if you fancy doing DC and can knock up a Marine from your bits box, then great. Otherwise, you're right in that there's still lots of time remaining and we'd love to see more of your work :)

Exquisite work on these, they are above and beyond simply tabletop quality :smile.: - how did you do the purity seal on the top chap?

Also, any thoughts on another go? Maybe another Character or a three-man squad?

Base coat of oak brown then a quick shade of strong tone followed by a dry brush of skeleton bone, the wax seal was a base coat of uniform grey and a wash with blue tone.

I'll probably vow a relic contemptor with assault cannon but I want to hold off until I get him built so I can make a better evaluation of time left for ETL.

Cheers :tu:

Another vow would be amazing if you can find the time :) The Contemptor builds easy enough, I suppose it depends if you're going down the magnets route...

Just have the Axe and Backpack and Base to finish and Astorath is done.

36063614_10103874348231987_9115156693699

My Astorath is currently a WIP (displaced by the ETL...) and I'm attempting a similar look - especially on the face. Was it simply colour, recess/full wash, layer? Maybe I'm not being patient enough but I can't seem to crack it :(

... Enough about me though, your one is looking stunning :tu: What recess colour are you thinking of doing for the wings?

My Astorath is currently a WIP (displaced by the ETL...) and I'm attempting a similar look - especially on the face. Was it simply colour, recess/full wash, layer? Maybe I'm not being patient enough but I can't seem to crack it :sad.:

... Enough about me though, your one is looking stunning :thumbsup: What recess colour are you thinking of doing for the wings?

Bsically used the Irondeepkin Paints for the face and Washes of Agrax. I'll probably do Black Wings.

Ugh, between the World Cup and my local outdoor pool being open, I haven't managed to dedicate much time to painting. I got back yesterday and cranked out some more of the stormhawk, which is nearing completion, but as i go on vacation in 3 weeks, I think this first vow may be one and done from me.

It has literally been the worst two months to attend a painting competition. First month got covered by a long work trip and after that I had to help organizing a funeral of my wife's grandmother while trying to catch up with all the work. Superb weather and world cup has been eating most of my spare time this month, so I just realized last weekend that we are over the half way mark of this competition and I have barely painted anything on my vow.

So here are the models that I have painted so far. Not much, but at least it's a start. :blush.:

Dante was the first one I painted, and I finished it probably about a month ago. On the death mask I experimented with an idea of a metallic glazing. I painted the mask normally to look like flesh, and then gave it a glaze of 1 part gold and around 5-10 parts lahmian medium. The result was really nice, but I ended up painting it three times as I failed to get the glow on the eyes right. I'm still a bit disappointed on the glow, but I fear that there will be too thick layer of paint if I try to get it right. I also tried to do the same metallic glazing on the axe, and managed to ruined the original paint job by adding one too many layers of the gold glaze mix.

gallery_104948_14179_1218707.jpg

Sanguinary priest was the second model I painted on the vow. I started to paint it right after I finished Dante, and almost got it ready on the first go. After that it took almost three weeks to finish the flasks, lenses and glow on the lamp. It turns out the shade of yellow I used doesn't look good on the glow, but I will probably leave it as it is.

gallery_104948_14179_48845.jpg

Third model is a terminator librarian. I really liked the model and it was really nice to paint it, although I almost lost the idea on how it should look like. I managed to paint everything on on two evening sessions this weekend. Some of the details could be a little sharper, but overall I'm really happy with everything. There is a lot of details and it took roughly around 5-6hours from box to this stage.

gallery_104948_14179_996879.jpg

Great stuff guys - good to see you're keeping the momentum going! :tu:

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Here comes my 3rd vow :D

I MAJKHEL rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete:

1 Captain with Relic blade and Master-crafted boltgun
1 Librarian with jump pack, Force sword and Bolt pistol,
1 Librarian in Terminator Armor with Force axe and Storm bolter,
1 Redemptor dreadnought with heavy Onslaught canon, Icarus rocket pod, Onslaught gatling canon, 2xFragstorm grenade launchers, Redemptor fist,
7 Sternguard veterans with Power fist and Special-issue boltgun (sergeant), 1xHeavy flamer, 2xCombi-melta, 2xCombi-plasma, 1xCombi-grav

for a total value of 784pts on or before August 1st, 2018.
Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

med_gallery_105306_14251_694651.jpg

I need to tone down my vows now, that I enter holiday season. If I'm lucky I'll be able to make one more vow. Probably smaller still.

Aaaaand 2nd vow completed!! :smile.:

gallery_105306_14251_79977.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_154754.jpg

They look really cool, I especially like the red wing tips on Astorath - not seen that before :tu:

Congratulations!

Here comes my 3rd vow :biggrin.:

I MAJKHEL rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete:

1 Captain with Relic blade and Master-crafted boltgun

1 Librarian with jump pack, Force sword and Bolt pistol,

1 Librarian in Terminator Armor with Force axe and Storm bolter,

1 Redemptor dreadnought with heavy Onslaught canon, Icarus rocket pod, Onslaught gatling canon, 2xFragstorm grenade launchers, Redemptor fist,

7 Sternguard veterans with Power fist and Special-issue boltgun (sergeant), 1xHeavy flamer, 2xCombi-melta, 2xCombi-plasma, 1xCombi-grav

for a total value of 784pts on or before August 1st, 2018.

Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

med_gallery_105306_14251_694651.jpg

I need to tone down my vows now, that I enter holiday season. If I'm lucky I'll be able to make one more vow. Probably smaller still.

That's still an excellent follow up; you're going to have quite the force once you've finished. All the best with it :)

It has literally been the worst two months to attend a painting competition. First month got covered by a long work trip and after that I had to help organizing a funeral of my wife's grandmother while trying to catch up with all the work. Superb weather and world cup has been eating most of my spare time this month, so I just realized last weekend that we are over the half way mark of this competition and I have barely painted anything on my vow.

So here are the models that I have painted so far. Not much, but at least it's a start. :blush.:

Dante was the first one I painted, and I finished it probably about a month ago. On the death mask I experimented with an idea of a metallic glazing. I painted the mask normally to look like flesh, and then gave it a glaze of 1 part gold and around 5-10 parts lahmian medium. The result was really nice, but I ended up painting it three times as I failed to get the glow on the eyes right. I'm still a bit disappointed on the glow, but I fear that there will be too thick layer of paint if I try to get it right. I also tried to do the same metallic glazing on the axe, and managed to ruined the original paint job by adding one too many layers of the gold glaze mix.

Sanguinary priest was the second model I painted on the vow. I started to paint it right after I finished Dante, and almost got it ready on the first go. After that it took almost three weeks to finish the flasks, lenses and glow on the lamp. It turns out the shade of yellow I used doesn't look good on the glow, but I will probably leave it as it is.

Third model is a terminator librarian. I really liked the model and it was really nice to paint it, although I almost lost the idea on how it should look like. I managed to paint everything on on two evening sessions this weekend. Some of the details could be a little sharper, but overall I'm really happy with everything. There is a lot of details and it took roughly around 5-6hours from box to this stage.

Thanks for posting these, your progress so far is lovely to see :) I do have a few questions though!

• What ink/wash have you used on Dante's wings? It so light :ohmy.:
  • Please tell us how you did the vials on the Sanguinary Priest!
  • I quite like the armour on your Librarian and I'm doing similar on my Knight - but I can't place your recipe. Is it black -> blue wash of some sort? -> edge highlight of Hawk Turquoise?

I hate to say it, but I think I might have to vow scouts as my 2nd vow. I have a Tourney at end of July and want at least my BA Detachment painted. So ugh, 3 x 5 man scouts. Just gotta get moving on my current vow though.

New Scouts or old Scouts? Either way, that's some commitment. Are you far off finishing your current vow? I'm probably only going to have enough time for a single character at this rate :(

Progress, despite my week long sabbatical in Birmingham I have now managed to complete two rams and the sicaran:

gallery_60109_5815_102163.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_1252085.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_253880.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_109150.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_14325.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_714340.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_38268.jpg

The Kharybdis is still a work in progress.

Cheers

LM

Your weathering skills are nuts :eek

First time I've seen the Sicaran as it is and she really stands out. The whole side being chequered is brilliant :tu:

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_VI_Top_Banner_.jpg

ETL VI - WEEK 8 UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

+++ETL VI - WEEK 8 UPDATE+++

Week 8 was markedly slower than Week 7 on the completions front. However, there was a lot of activity in the background which creates high hopes for Week 9. The total completed points increased by 12k to 83.6k and were replenished for the most part by 11k pts of new vows. As such total pledged points reached 384k. 

The Astartes retain their first position in terms of ETL score with the Blood Angels taking the lead from the Space Marines – even if it was only for 45pts – which goes a long way to show that every little helps. In the second place, the AoD which had a fairly slow week, yet still have a score more than twice that of Chaos with their strong 31% completion rate. Chaos on the other hand, although 3rd, does not have a safety distance from the IFOR which is only 346pts behind and with a much lower completion rate. That means that i) IFOR has more points completed in absolute terms and ii) they have more resources available to them still. Lastly, the Xenos had a very, very slow week, with only 163pts completed among their 5 Forums… I sure hope they regain their momentum in Week 9 as the event is gradually entering its final stage. 

No let’s see Week 8 in detail:

E TENEBRAE LUX VI – Week 8
Faction/ForumParticipantsVowsPoints pledgedAvg. Vow Completions CRSCRAdeptus Astartes 185 241 156,249 64834,304 22.0% 7,531 Space Marines 6689 49,900 561 10,662 21.4% 2,278 Blood Angels 45 5938,853 659 9,501 24.5% 2,323 Dark Angels 45 55 38,032 691 8,634 22.7% 1,960 Space Wolves 29 38 29,464 775 5,50718.7% 1,029 IFOR 67 83 75,778 913 12,77016.9% 2,152 Adepta Sororitas 6 7 4,303 615 519 12.1% 63 AdMech 13 18 11,285 627 3,126 27.7% 866 Astra Militarum 21 27 21,811 808 5,786 26.5% 1,535 Imperial Agents 12 13 21,811 1,667 894 4.1% 37 Grey Knights 2 2 2,658 1,329 0 0% 0 Deathwatch 13 16 14,045 878 2,445 17.4% 426 Realm of Chaos 67 89 59,390 667 12,179 20.5% 2,498 Chaos Space Marines 55 74 45,551 616 10,258 22.5% 2,310 Chaos Daemons 4 5 4,145 829 738 17.8% 131 LatD 8 10 9,684 968 1,183 12.2% 145 Xenos 41 47 30,173 642 4,457 14.8% 658 Aeldari 10 11 3,492 317 718 20.6% 148 Necrons 10 12 7,507 626 1,787 23.8% 425 Orks 4 5 3,600 720 600 16.7% 100 T’au Empire 13 14 12,458 890 1,094 8.8% 96 Tyranids 4 5 3,116 623 258 8.3% 21 AoD 47 68 62,451 918 19,849 31.8% 6,309 AoD-L 26 37 33,874 916 11,120 32.8% 3,650 AoD-T 21 31 28,577 922 8,729 30.5% 2,666 Total ETL VI 407 528 384,031 727 83,559 21.8% 18,181

BLOOD ANGELS:

The Blood Angels had a very good week. With the highest completion rate among all Astartes and the highest score within the Faction (albeit with a small margin from the SMs) and with the most points completed in the week than any other Forum, they have every reason to feel good about themselves. More so since they are doing better than Chaos Marines! But the differences are small and can change easily in the span of a week. The key is to maintain their re-vowing rate (currently at 31%) at high levels – especially when compared with the SMs (re-vowing rate at 35%). But so far, so good…

Boom, phenomenal effort folks!

We've now moved up to third outright (having pipped C:SM and C:CSM) this week, with possibly a "completion" behind AoD-T in second - we're also now in the driving seat for our Faction's Primus Inter Pares title. For the next few weeks we will be jostling for position with these forums as completions come in, so we need to keep the pressure on and crank them out. History is on our side for high completion rates and with that comes everything, but it remains in our hands and it's down to YOU, the Frater, to bring us success.

We will prevail, but it's down to you.

So... here’s what I’ve been brewing!

I, Zebulon rise a third time to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels, Flesh Tearers and Angels Resplendent, and vow to complete the models listed below on or before August 1st, 2018, for a total points value of 574 by my calculations. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photos:

Captain Tycho

https://i.imgur.com/hrxTXnA.jpg

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth

https://i.imgur.com/LNYw7vc.jpg

One Captain Smash

https://i.imgur.com/GtO7XTf.jpg

One Terminator Ancient

https://i.imgur.com/LGd9EqQ.jpg

One Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

https://i.imgur.com/sDDYFLs.jpg

Thanks for posting these, your progress so far is lovely to see :smile.: I do have a few questions though!

• What ink/wash have you used on Dante's wings? It so light :ohmy.:
  • Please tell us how you did the vials on the Sanguinary Priest!
  • I quite like the armour on your Librarian and I'm doing similar on my Knight - but I can't place your recipe. Is it black -> blue wash of some sort? -> edge highlight of Hawk Turquoise?

The wing ornaments have no wash. It is just Vallejo wolf grey base highlighted with white scar. I tried using couple of different washes on earlier models, but in the end this seemed to be easiest way with nicest effect :biggrin.:

For vials I used a black base and then layered the color of the fluid from dark on the bottom to lighter shade on the top. Then a couple of strong washes to smoothen the transition between the layers, and the ink build up in the bottom also makes the bottom of the vials darker. Then just narrow highlights with white to places where the shape of the tube would reflect some light.

The librarian armor is Vallejo midnight blue base, then some highlights on 2:1 mix of midnight blue and magic blue (these are the only blue paints I own :rolleyes:), followed by wash with drakenhof nightshade. Edge highlights are with magic blue and it seems to be perfect color for this job. Caledor sky from the citadel range seems to be similar to magic blue, but there isn't anything as dark as midnight blue in new citadel paint range.

So... here’s what I’ve been brewing!

I, Zebulon rise a third time to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels, Flesh Tearers and Angels Resplendent, and vow to complete the models listed below on or before August 1st, 2018, for a total points value of 574 by my calculations. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photos:

Captain Tycho

https://i.imgur.com/hrxTXnA.jpg

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth

https://i.imgur.com/LNYw7vc.jpg

One Captain Smash

https://i.imgur.com/GtO7XTf.jpg

One Terminator Ancient

https://i.imgur.com/LGd9EqQ.jpg

One Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

https://i.imgur.com/sDDYFLs.jpg

Five weeks to go, five character models remain. Certainly ambitious... Are you going to batch paint or go all in at s rate of one per week? All the best :tu:

The wing ornaments have no wash. It is just Vallejo wolf grey base highlighted with white scar. I tried using couple of different washes on earlier models, but in the end this seemed to be easiest way with nicest effect :biggrin.:

I came to the same conclusions regarding wings. With small feathers it's much easier for me to edge-highlight or even drybrush from darker base color to whatever lighter color I desire. When I use washes I either need to be almost as precise as with highlights or correct afterwards. 

Five weeks to go, five character models remain. Certainly ambitious... Are you going to batch paint or go all in at s rate of one per week? All the best :tu:

Haha! I thought less ambitious than vowing squads or indeed vehicles- the Baal Pred for example is probably going to have to wait!

I will see how I go but probably basic colours on all of them first, then grind through the details one by one, like with my last vow.

We can never have too many characters, right?! :D

Archived