+++Dark Angels Outpost+++

Captain Semper

dark_angel_warhammer_40000_by_loweringsk

FOR THE LION!

3 new participants since the weekly update! :woot:

Welcome Brother Bethor, malarki and Angel of Solitude - your vows are most welcome and come at an important timing! Good luck to all!!!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

image(7)

image(6)

20180525 011839(1)

20180525 011846

What do you guys think of the first part of this finished vow? 

I tried to highlight the black but it didnt work well its too hard to do, and i like it better just straight black i think your guyses thoughts?

To highlight black, I start from grey and particularly skavenblight dinge. Then I do three layers of nuln oil and that provides the perfect shading / highlighting... easy, fast and effective.

The model looks brilliant btw, will yo7 be doing the base?

Hey malarki, what colour did you try and highlight with? I find that a darker highlight easier and more forgiving. If you go straight dawnstone for example it can really show any mistakes. My mind escapes me as to the colour I'm talking about but if it pops into my head I'll post here.

The mini looks cool though, you've done a great job!

For black (which I get to do a lot of with Blackwing and Ravenwing) I use Dawnstone for highlights and go back over with black to smoothen out smudges/errors. On particularly edgy areas, I have also started drybrushing white to give an extra edge. I like to keep it simple, Captain Semper's way might very well yield better results. If you'd like to see what I've made of it, have a look at my land speeder vengeance and dark talon in my blog on this very forum. Note though, the deathwing you can see painted in there, were painted a good while ago, I have improved since then.

Brothers, the first shall march tonight against an unknown foe! 1500pts of 40k carnage and my first game for a few months.  Lets hope I bring us honour, I'll try and grab a few pics as I hope to include the Redemptor.

WIP

The Dark Talon itself is now completed. Just needing to do the finishing of the base!

1c562abe41e02be8d15ab23a9dc75122.png

Soon moving on to the Black Knights!

Remember, brothers - Heresy grows from idleness!

To highlight black, I start from grey and particularly skavenblight dinge. Then I do three layers of nuln oil and that provides the perfect shading / highlighting... easy, fast and effective.

The model looks brilliant btw, will yo7 be doing the base?

Wow thanks for all the tips guys, i cant remembrr what grey arm but it was defently a darker layer grey from citadel.

As for modeling bases i have no idea how to do it, to be quiet honest i dont know how to do alot for painting and modeling since ive only been doing it over about the last month. Im currently learning how to do anything any tips or criticsm is what i seek which is why i always ask. Everything can always be improved

Wow thanks for all the tips guys, i cant remembrr what grey arm but it was defently a darker layer grey from citadel.

As for modeling bases i have no idea how to do it, to be quiet honest i dont know how to do alot for painting and modeling since ive only been doing it over about the last month. Im currently learning how to do anything any tips or criticsm is what i seek which is why i always ask. Everything can always be improved

Wow that's pretty decent work for only a month's experience. Well done!!

Malarki, a little trick I picked up years ago with black. Base coat black, then mix up a 4:1 ratio black to dawnstone. You’ll barely be able to see a difference, but it’s there. Paint the whole section that layer, then add a bit more grey to the mix for your edge highlight. Keep adding grey till you get a highlight you’re happy with, then give it a wash of nuln oil. Then go back and pick out the edge highlights again

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I find it very forgiving though.

I believe Lostrael uses a blue-green wash on her blacks, and she produces an absolutely brilliant black, something I could never hope to reproduce. As you can see, everyone has their own tricks for black. Grab a test model, and practice till you find a method that suits your style!

Malarki, a little trick I picked up years ago with black. Base coat black, then mix up a 4:1 ratio black to dawnstone. You’ll barely be able to see a difference, but it’s there. Paint the whole section that layer, then add a bit more grey to the mix for your edge highlight. Keep adding grey till you get a highlight you’re happy with, then give it a wash of nuln oil. Then go back and pick out the edge highlights again

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I find it very forgiving though.

I believe Lostrael uses a blue-green wash on her blacks, and she produces an absolutely brilliant black, something I could never hope to reproduce. As you can see, everyone has their own tricks for black. Grab a test model, and practice till you find a method that suits your style!

A blue wash/very dark blue normal coat can work very well on tyres too for bikes.

Wow that's pretty decent work for only a month's experience. Well done!!

I will defently try to try that greenz i will have to pick up some dawnstone I thought I had some, worst case if i dont like it I just wont highlight the black for now and be content

@G8keeper Thank you I appreciate it I enjoy painting and I want the quality! Please feel free to check out my albums and let me know what you think of those and what tips you may offer

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/14586-malarkis-dark-angels/

I, Father Mehman, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Dark Angels via their Successor Chapter, the Clerics, and vow to complete an Interrogator-Chaplain amassing 97 points on or before August 1, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year's end.

It's not much, but at least it's something. An Assault Squad and Devastator Squad are in the works, so we'll see about vowing when they get built. Anywho, below is the "before" picture of my first vow - the Interrogator-Chaplain. He's been built for a while, but he still hasn't been painted.

med_gallery_83709_11112_116723.jpg

I know I’ve been away for a while, and it’s nice to see you all painting so well, but what’s happened to you Interrogator Stobz?! That work is glorious, and is coming out sooo fast. Truly impressed; your inspirational work might even get me picking up a paintbrush. I’ve got a Redemptor Dread, Crusader, and some hellblasters/intercessors all ready for priming...

Archived