[Review] Kromlech Heavy Weapon Platform- Quad Lascannon

So I finally got my hands on one and I *needed* to share my thoughts. Please excuse my professional-ese that follows.

Sorry for the flash and my use of a cell phone :happy.:

gallery_6494_14456_248485.jpg

Obviously, there are some solid pieces in the package. You can see the injection tube things enter the bottom of the tracks. other than the mud-flap things, I was pleased to see the hull and weapon did not have this ... thing ... I would have to cut off.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_14456_113464.jpg

I took this pic hoping to show that the flash on parts were wonderfully minimal. I mean, you'll have to do some clean-up because ... resin. But so far, much better than other *cough* Warhammer-related sources *cough* in my opinion.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_118596.jpg

I put the tracks onto the hull for a dry-fit and was a little surprised by this. I double-checked to see if I did it wrong, but nope. There is no massaging this either. Gonna need a knife ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_22552.jpg

The reason is the three ... things ... on the hull just above the two divot-holes. "But Race, did you use the right hole :whistling: " Yes and shame on you. Frankly, I'm not convinced those are supposed to be there and they are thin enough to not require work to shave/cut off.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_55143.jpg

Let's get to it: comparing it to a GW Thundefire Cannon. As you can see, it's not much smaller, which is what I expected :thumbsup:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_139665.jpg

IN YO FACE!

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_20273.jpg

From the rear. A little control panel and exhausts! :wub:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_29416.jpg

Top view. Each square is one inch. So, Kromlech's platform is millimeters smaller one way or another, BUT certainly has a smaller "footprint" than the Thunderfire Cannon with stabilizers. Sorry for the orientation, but meh.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_189343.jpg

Next to a TFC Techmarine. Hard to see a good comparison in hindsight because of the black but more meh. Since the Kromlech platform is essentially the same proportion as the TFC, then it should be relatively easy to know how "big" their platform is ... from a certain point of view.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_18085.jpg

Final thoughts: This is a solid chuck-o-resin that easily fits within the 40K universe. Unfortunately (?) current GW turrets will not fit onto the hull unless you "make" it happen and I'm not sure why you would want to do that ... but to each their own I suppose. Likewise, the separate weapon would need some modelling love to fit onto a GW piece, but it could be done I guess. Making a scrtch-built Spartan tank? Here are your sponson weapons :tongue.:

Overall, I've very happy with the purchase and plan to get other turret variants. Actually, I'll be happy to replace my metal TFCs for the Kromlech's Storm Cannon.

This review is purely from intrinsic desire to help the community :happy.:

I like the comparative scale, it looks like it'll slot right in between a TFC and the Rapier Quad Mortar size wise. I also agree about the small triangles/supports/extra resin on the underside of the main hull should be removed, I've seen them on various other resin models.

the " three ... things " you are writing about need to be removed before tracks assembly

those are only needed in cast process :smile.:

I KNEW IT!

Man, I deserve a Coke 'cause I already have the smile ^_^

You got luckier than me.  The two Quad cannons I ordered were a mess on account of what seemed to be mold slippage, and the replacement pieces faired only a little better (less slippage, more bubbles).  To their credit, the customer service was good, and the Techmarine conversion kits were problem-free.

That 'design flaw' on the chassis (it looked like it was part of the design to me) blocking a flush connection to the tracks baffled me, too.  An easy fix, but it was still confusing.  Glad to see it has a logical explanation. :teehee:

I'd never seen it next to a Thunderfire, either.  The cannon seemed a bit dinky at first, but next to the Thunderfire I'm pleased to see they're about equal.  I didn't wanna deal with people calling shenanigans over a size difference or whatever.  Now I gotta figure out a way to slap enough GW stuff on to use it at my local GW store :laugh.:

Great review, R_B! :)

Didn't realize Kromlech had started making their own blister packs; my older stuff certainly didn't arrive that way.  Much improved, I'd say!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived