+++Grey Knights Outpost+++

Captain Semper

Udate!!

All the power armour is base coated leadbelcher, washed with null oil, dry brushed iron breaker, dry brushed rune fang steel, dry brushed necron compound, then glazed with a very thin Guilliman glaze. So far I'm not too unhappy with the results. I'm debating wether I should go back and do another layer of the glaze to intensify the blue.

Unfortunately my phone camera is clogged with dust. Next time I'll try to use my regular camera.

Here's all the squads:

gallery_87414_14543_172287.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_123937.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_60649.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_91818.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_189240.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_44294.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_64501.jpg

gallery_87414_14543_168231.jpg

On to the details!!!

Nope, that is a mould line unfortunately, I noticed it myself as well :unsure.: .

It looks like I was lazy scraping them and unfortunately dry brushing is not very forgiving for mould lines.

This is the first time I've dry brushed marines. I layer my ultramarines, but it takes forever so I figured I'd try something different for the grey knights.

@Joukernaut They still look great. I know what you mean though about not noticing things. After putting basecoats down on metal miniatures I realize i forgot to scrap off on piece of those stringy metal things. Can be annoying. lol

Go Joukernaut! That dry-brushing is really great - but I guess it would after doing it on so many models :wink: It's made me think about doing a final dry-brush highlight - which I wasn't going to do initially.

I have started a soft dark wash of the knights which has gone ok after an initial few where I was a bit heavy handed - i am now carefully shading select recesses with the smallest detail brush possible. My blue shading of the swords didn't go well. It made the crisp grey/white look become a bit comic-book, so I'm going to repaint the 4 test swords. No biggy but for some reason it feels like a set-back as my 'vision' didn't work and I was really keen. I guess the airbrush layering went better than I could have hoped and all additions are starting to 'ruin' the subtle smooth matt look.

Great work Joukernaut. Keep it going!

Well done skin! :tu: This is a tremendous task you have undertaken! 

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

C'mon guys - lets see some progress!

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Ok, here goes - these 12 are shaded --- 8 left to shade

Then all 20 need to be dry brushed (head and chest only) then based in martian ironcrust.

This shading took ages as I had to cleanly hit the recesses with a super small brush --- shading the entire mini ruins the airbrush layers and the soft grey colour. Going forwards I think that I might try and shade before the final 2 coats of airbrush - but it may not work: gotta test it.

gallery_98673_13490_107263.jpg

Just to show the difference between non-shaded vs shaded:

gallery_98673_13490_181534.jpg

Shading in it's full glory:

gallery_98673_13490_153107.jpg

This is my test dry brush highlighting vs shaded only mini

Not sure it works with this bright white, may do 2 layers - a light grey then a very soft white.

gallery_98673_13490_125651.jpg

Vacation starting today!

Starting tomorrow, I’m painting every evening! I should be able to make some good progress on the greyknights.

Updates soon to follow.

Nice work skinonmyteeth, the shading is definately worth it and so is the additional drybrush. They look great!

Joukernaut! You're back. Thank you. Followed your lead on the dry-brushing. It looks good but detracted from my aim, which was to have the warp-charged sripts on the armour stand out (I'll show that below).

Time for an update:

gallery_98673_13490_57298.jpg

this morning, all 20 finally shaded. Phew. Took ages and was quite stressful. Glad it's done.

gallery_98673_13490_60412.jpg

First 4 done!!! Here I tried dry-brushing highlights - looks OK, but something was not right about it. Based with martian ironcrust. Really love that textured basing. Was a little too bright so I washed with a darker colour.

gallery_98673_13490_286902.jpg

So I did a test - dry brushed the warp-charged writing and compared to the first round of models. Liked it much better so decided to drop the general dry-brush.

gallery_98673_13490_70058.jpg

gallery_98673_13490_74933.jpg

The second four - really happy with how they turned-out.

So here we go:

gallery_98673_13490_30325.jpg

First eight done - 12 more to go...

I’m not sure how to upload pics from my cellphone, so no pictures yet, but I’ve been making good progress on blocking colours so far.

I’ve done a basecoat of gold, blue, white and most of the reds, it’s starting to look like an army.

Still over a week of holiday to go

Archived