+++Chaos Space Marines Outpost+++

We've slipped to second guys! All you folks with outstanding first vows, where you at!? Your forum needs you!

Dragonlover

Dude, we're by far the strongest outpost. I don't get this system at all.

Points completed X % of people who have completed vows. Give me a week and a half and I'll add my chunk to the tally.

Essentially it's not just a matter of the number of points you complete but what percentage of your total commitment they represent. We may have completed more points of vows than the Age of Darkness Traitors but as their completion percentage is quite a bit higher than ours (52% vs 39%) the score adjustment works out in their favor. Despite having completed a little over 2,000 points more in vows than the AoD-T, we'd need a lead of almost 6,000 points to be ahead of them overall at our current completion rate. The system isn't just asking who can complete the most points but which board as a whole can most effectively meet its commitments.

The system isn't just asking who can complete the most points but which board as a whole can most effectively meet its commitments.

Which is good, because otherwise none of the smaller factions would have any chance at all. Higher participation within a given faction brings with it the risk of lower completion.

So here's a very early WIP of where my Noise Marines are headed:

med_gallery_82168_14652_28604.png

I'm planning on painting their weapons in the same sort of manner as FW's Kakophoni, but I was wondering whether you guys had any thoughts on whether the weapon details would be better done working off Balthazar Gold instead of Brass Scorpion like the armour trim or if it would be better to keep everything consistent. Any ideas?

Your Noise Marine mockup is looking good.

I'm rather fond of Baltasar gold, it has a nice darker hue. Baltasar is the base layer gold color I use for my World Eaters' trim.

I'd reccomend you test Baltasar out on one model. Note that it might be a bit too dark for flashy, hedonistic Noise Marines. But you can always brighten up the base paint layer with highlights, glazes, gloss sealant and whatnot.

Yeah, I get that system. But this is all intermediary BS - we have far more resources than the AoD-T.

Besides - the traitors from the past may be old school, but in the way that baby humans are old school adults. They have no idea what's in store for them. :devil:

So here's my finished-ish prototype for the Noise Marines, going with Retributor Armour rather than Balthasar Gold as the latter scarcely looked different from the rest of the armour trim. The picture caught a few things I'd missed so I'll probably be making one or two small changes here and there and cleaning things up, but broadly speaking this is going to be the paradigm I go with.

med_gallery_82168_14652_628894.png

They're a bit understated for Noise Marines, but then you've got to consider that they're going to be positively outlandish next to the rest of my Iron Warriors who have no painted trim beyond their shoulders and not a single bare head among them. Truly outrageous!

Sweet noise marine, CD!  I think you should highlight the edges of the gun, though - its kind of a black brick with gold trim at the moment. :)

Finally finished my unit of bikers - man, they took way longer than they had any right to.

Anyway, here the remaining 3 bikers are:

wI4Onra.jpg

And the whole unit:

l0mEk0T.jpg

Now I just have the terminator sorceror lurking in the back of those photos to go!

Sweet noise marine, CD!  I think you should highlight the edges of the gun, though - its kind of a black brick with gold trim at the moment. :smile.:

See ... this is a great example of one of the reasons I haven't got a whole lot of confidence when it comes to edge highlighting: the body of the gun is edge highlighted in Eshin Grey, at least to the extent I'm usually comfortable doing that sort of thing. I've given it another go-over with Dark Reaper, which I think is a little more obvious, but personally I'm still kinda indifferent towards the outcome at best.

You can take Edge highlights up to quite a bright colour, concentrate on corners for the brightest highlights. It helps to define the shape better than if they are even all the way around.

You can take Edge highlights up to quite a bright colour, concentrate on corners for the brightest highlights. It helps to define the shape better than if they are even all the way around.

QFT

Also, sweet noise marine!

I initially thought I'd get this vow done very quickly, but timings always seem to spiral out of control for me. Anywho, here's my second vow, all complete:

Group Shot:

med_gallery_71441_9972_60481.jpg

Sorceror:

med_gallery_71441_9972_39603.jpg

Squads:

med_gallery_71441_9972_64601.jpg

med_gallery_71441_9972_28351.jpg

med_gallery_71441_9972_68076.jpg

@Commander Dawnstar - I certainly know how you feel regarding highlighting, I'm still getting used to trying and often wonder if it's made a positive impact or not.

I fond that highlighting feels utterly pointless while you're doing it then you look at the model the next day and think "yeah actually, that does look better". Quality completion there Pearson!

Dragonlover

I use a lot of edge highlighting type techniques when I do my version of nmm trim, what I've found is that until the final highlights go on that it still looks kinda flat, so if you find that you can't tell the highlights are there there is a chance you need to push them another shade brighter.

though I'd add the fifth member of the squad for ETL. The Space Wolf who join this lot. So quickly getting the shade & bit detail done. Then he going to get painted tomorrow along with the other member of the squad.

gallery_13342_13449_76303.jpg

I will have Blood for the Blood god splatter over the Space Wolves part of the armour, try show him nearly been a complete Khorne Berserker & his past almost gone. There will be a few other Fallen Marines from Legion & Chapter. I'm going add a Iron Warrior for exsample & a Iron Hand next & then plan out the Champion conversion - or I might keep the first model as the Champion for the unit.

gallery_13342_13449_12840.jpg

Here how the squad looking so far.

gallery_13342_13449_66109.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_24175.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_52347.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_24311.jpg

So aim get this lot painted tomorrow & for ETL reason be complete. Base need to wait until the new ruin are release in two week time.

Great completion Pearson!

Highlighting in my opinion is always worth it - however you want to do it, whether it’s by edge or a drybrush, just because it helps accentuate the contrast. Sometimes it isn’t needed though if washed or if other techniques around do that work for you :) All personal preference!

I’m onto the final touches for my Plague Marines, and Mortarion just needs his chains doing and last bits too. Then, Blight Drones and Zombies to complete shortly thereafter :)

So I started off this morning telling myself that I thought there was a decent chance I might have my Noise Marines finished by the end of Sunday, and now I can say with absolute certainty that I'm going to have them finished tomorrow and probably should be able to take care of the Exalted Champion tomorrow too. Really makes me wonder how many more points I might have been able to get through over the course of this event if I had just stuck to Marines rather than painting literally everything but Marines instead.

So I'm going to call my second vow complete:biggrin.:

http://i.imgur.com/Xaj70v5.jpg

I'll get some better pics uploaded once I get back from work later on!

For my next Vow I'm thinking of doing 2 character ideas that I've had on my mind for a while, then move onto a Knight for my 4th to give myself a bit more time to work on it.

Archived