+++Chaos Space Marines Outpost+++

Entirely fair DuskRaider, I played conservatively at the beginning of the event due to not wanting to run out of time further in.

Augustus, I tell people not to paint Cultists every year, but there's always a couple of mad folks who give it a whirl!

I've got my sights set on topping 4k next year, I should have at least two full Legion armies built by then. If not, there's always my spares case...

Dragonlover

To be fair, the ETL just happened to coincide with my assembling Cultists and Poxwalkers for Kill Team (come to find out I can't even use the Cultists). In hindsight I wish I had gone with the Daemons instead of the cheap and ultimately useless Cultists and 'Walkers. 

Poxwalkers are by no means useless! Also, I for one am very glad you did vow for the CSM forum. Even though Plaguebearers were allowed in here, the temptation of vowing in a forum that bears the name daemon was strong - a evidenced by a few other traditionally CSM players vowing their Daemon units there - like Teetengee (his Fateweaver conversion could have easily been vowed as a Tzeentchian Daemon Prince. I'm not saying it was wrong of him to do so, but I do think that next year we can learn from this and be more strategic in our choosing a forum next year. 

Poxwalkers are useless in Kill Team, IMO... which is what I built them for. I did seriously consider vowing in Chaos Daemons, especially as my Pestigor Kill Team (now also unusable... thanks GW) are technically counts-as Nurgle Daemons. IT just so happens they also appear in the Death Guard codex, but if I had considered vowing the other models it would have all gone there. What would have happened with the Warhound and Armiger, I do not know. I think they could have been vowed under Daemons but I'm unsure and at this point it doesn't really matter. 

Putting all the space marines together... pretty impossible. :whistling:

I've carried banners at those wins. I wouldn't bet against us either.

The point everyone keeps forgetting is that ETL VI was never about which Faction would win. There's not even a banner or medallion for that win. What matters most, like almost all previous incarnations, is the different Forums competing against each other - within their own Faction, but especially across all Factions. So it's still Codex vs DAs vs BAs vs SWs vs IFOR vs AoD etc.

The material difference this year is that IFOR got grouped together, while Chaos and the Horus Heresy got seperated internally. Had we used the same way of calculating as last year, then Chaos in total would still have become second - as the Horus Heresy in total (the way it has been traditionally calculated) would have scored over 40K of points.

Looking back at the rules of the event, I realize we actually benefited from this arrangement: CSM is the strongest Chaos Forum and has been the big driver for the Chaos wins since ETL III. We didn't really miss the Daemons this year (who scored less than the Sisters, for crying out loud (for shame!:wink: )) and the LatD were also a small faction. The fact that it's just Chaos Marine codices makes it so that the SM Forums actually had a shot against us (and they no longer had the excuse of 'unfair advantages' of taking on Chaos as a whole :tongue.:). But the main benefit came from the seperation of the AoD into Loyalists and Trators: even despite the difference between 30K's 7th Ed. and 40K's 8th Ed. rules preventing overlap, the Horus Heresy performed fantastically.

There is no reason to complain about the new ETL rules at all. We lost to the Blood Angels fair and square. We had a low First Vow completion rate, and incurred 2520 points of penalties due to frater revowing and not completing their vows. Mistakes were made and we should look to ourselves for the causes of our loss. This is a group effort and I take my responsibility for our fail: By now, I allow myself to consider myself a bit of a veteran of the ETL, and I should have been more present in May, to give advice and feedback to unexperienced participants and to the team in general, like I have in previous years.

Next year, I'll post a list of advised do's and advised don'ts to win the ETL. An obvious one would be that vowing Cultists is not smart - their points/effort ratio is possibly the lowest in the entire ETL and they drain energy, preventing revows. But also vowing complicated resin kits with few weeks left and/or experience at hand isn't the safest. On the other hand, vowing relatively simple kits of high points value, like for example Land Raiders or Terminators, is a very smart thing to do. In any case, it's up to the participating frater to do what feels right. If you love painting cultists then by all means go for them! 

I don't know, I could complain about how it wasn't even a contest on the faction side and how Chaos and HH got reduced but Space Marines got a massive buff. Grumble Grumble, best Duradin impression, all that.

I don't know, I could complain about how it wasn't even a contest on the faction side and how Chaos and HH got reduced but Space Marines got a massive buff. Grumble Grumble, best Duradin impression, all that.

You can complain that the SMs got stronger but not for other Factions getting weaker - on a Faction level, Chaos is the old Chaos and AoD is the old AoD.

I know that if I had been able to cross vow, I might have vowed some marines here, but I really wanted to get my daemon painted and wasn't sure of any other models ready to paint. So, splitting things meant I just didn't vow stuff at all, possibly (though I moved, so maybe no difference).

You could, but as I said in the post you quoted and as you unintentionally already said: on the faction side it wasn't a contest because it literally wasn't a contest on the Faction side. Factions do not factor in the competition in any way in the ETL. The Faction with the highest points total got no credit, no banner, no medallion, no mention, nothing. Why would you complain about something that isn't material in any way?

I bashed through 42 poxwalkers this ETL, I give credit to having them spread across multiple vows as a filler rather than putting all of them in one vow.

Let the sparklers have their phyrric victory, next year they will rue their overextension :devil:

I bashed through 42 poxwalkers this ETL, I give credit to having them spread across multiple vows as a filler rather than putting all of them in one vow.

That's a smart tactic.

Let the sparklers have their phyrric victory, next year they will rue their overextension :devil:

Exactly.

http://media.giphy.com/media/eYgVBZKw2LG6Y/giphy.gif

Whilst I did all 42 of mine in one Vow - I do very much like to batch paint! Helps you not to miss things when you are able to group similar models (even with their various intricacies and details). Definitely an acquired taste though...

Having now just caught up on the last few days of the ETL - just the usual message of thanks and congratulations from me to everyone who participated: superb completions and inspirational progress shots, a pleasure as always to see what everyone is producing and at such a consistently high standard, really is motivating.

Huge thanks, as ever, to Captain Semper for all of his efforts in running this again - it is very much appreciated, and I'm very grateful! :)

We learn, we adapt, we improve. Next year, we'll just come back for another go. Anyone fancy aiming for the full 20k next year? It's only a shade over 1500 points a week for 13 weeks after all!

Dragonlover

That would be incredible... Looking forward to next year now! :wink:

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

For those who do not know it, Inspiration Friday is a (generally) fortnightly event within its home in the Chaos Space Marines forum, in which a topic is set for members to write short (or long if the muse takes you) fluff/fan-fic pieces about their war bands, characters and models.

And here begins our fourteenth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2018: ETL mini

ETL-VI ended with a victory for the sons of Sanguinius!

While I myself vowed for the lapdogs of the Corpse-God this year, I do know a great many fantastic models were painted for the Chaos forums.

We’ve seen them, now tell us who they are.

The 14th challenge of Inspirational Friday 2018 is to write a piece about models completed for ETL-VI.

If you - like I - did not vow for Chaos (pray that the Call of Chaos is held this year so that you may seek redemption damnation!) then by all means give us a tale of models you completed for other forums pitted against the forces of Chaos.

If you did not take part in this year’s ETL then focus on models you completed for a previous ETL...or simply completed recently ;)

Photos are not mandatory but are recommended (but your entry will not be judged on the models/photos).

IF2018: ETL models runs until the 24th of August.

Let us be inspired.

The winner of IF2018: ETL-VI Models shall claim the Octed amulet:gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

...and the honour of judging the next topic.

Please post entries not here but in the main IF2018 thread in the CSM forum.

Sorry I let you all down, real life got in the way and it wasnt the kind of thing I could just ignore and paint through.

Great job to everyone else who got their vows finished, better luck next time to those that did not.

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

ETL VI MASTER ARTIFICER: 

KIZZDOUGHS

You can see the results here

Now the ETL VI is truly over. This thread will remain open for posting but will become unpinned. 

Until next year, farewell!

Captain Semper
Member of the Inner Circle
Master of Recruits

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for the current Inspirational Friday: ETL VI Model, is this Friday, but with one entry from me and one from MaliGn - who is this theme’s judge - I’m tempted to offer a third week. Are there any more entries to come? Does anyone want a third week? :)

EDIT: there have been requests for a third week, so you have until 8/31. :tu:

Archived