+++Age of Darkness Traitor Outpost (AoD-T)+++

To all you traitorous brethren, I say well done! I think we, both loyalists and traitors have the 40k guys a run for their money. Not to mention we have a points disadvantage.

Cheerleader of the year goes to Vykes for sure. He was pushing both sides to finish pledges. It's been an awesome event guys! Thanks for your hard work and effort

That's the style Der_H! Leave it to the 3rd to pull off a classy and perfect finish! Hey, I know I really appreciate details like the control panels. Lookin' right good.

I know the feeling, but I can' wait to see some 3rd legion dreadclaws, and the spartan... and I love me some phoenix guard (Got 10 myself because oh man are those gorgeous!) Can't wait to see em mate. And bloody well done again, they look fantastic.

The Warmaster needs more, I hear the loyalists have restruck the forges to challenge us with a knight household!

As for me, well, I'm willing to send my Cthonians into the fray!

OOC Vow 1 Complete!

gallery_107230_14721_167065.jpg

I was waffling about grey or green, so I decided to try a different shade of green entirely, and add Cthonian gang markings (while the 65th is primarily terran), aaaaand I still have bits coming for the grey vets too.

Partial edit for the sake of edit: added the picklehaub spikes

gallery_107230_14721_120420.jpg

In the works are a dread claw, 2 10 man tactial squads, 5 more phoenix terminators, a librarian (for the IIIrd you say?!) and some more HQs.....oh, and a Spartan! That's basically 2 years work right there....

Hahaha! Don't worry, by next ETL everything will fall into line! :biggrin.: Congratulations man! :thumbsup:

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

The posing on these guys is astoundingly good! Great work and stunning paint job!

In the works are a dread claw, 2 10 man tactial squads, 5 more phoenix terminators, a librarian (for the IIIrd you say?!) and some more HQs.....oh, and a Spartan! That's basically 2 years work right there....

BAH! In the chaos section I did 2 15 man Tactical Squads, 4 Deathshroud, a Dredero, A Maginant Plagucaster, a Chaos Lord AND a Spartan. You could do all yours in one ETL.

(Plus it's a LOT of points no matter your faction. If my memory is correct to the tune of at least 1300 HH era points.)

Haha, I wanted to do a bigger ETL this year but Post-grad exams have struck again - next year they should be done and over so you never know!

And to the fierce contention brought along

Innumerable force of spirits, armed

That durst dislike his reign, and me preferring,

His utmost power with adverse power,

opposed in dubious battle on the Plains of Heaven,

And shook His throne.

What though the field be lost?

All is not lost; the unconquerable will,

And study of revenge, immortal hate,

And courage never to submit or yield:

And what is else not to be overcome?

That Glory never shall his wrath or might

Extort from me. To bow and sue for grace

With suppliant knee, and deify His power

Who from the terror of this Arm so late

Doubted his Empire.

Since through experience of this great event

In Arms not worse, in foresight much advanced,

We may with more successful hope resolve

To wage by force or guile, eternal war

Irreconcilable to our grand foe,

Who now triumphs,

Let us tend from off the tossing of these fiery waves,

And there rest, if any rest can harbour there,

And reassembling our afflicted Powers,

Consult how we may henceforth most offend

Our Enemy, our own loss how repair,

How overcome this dire calamity,

What reinforcement we may gain from hope,

If not, what resolution from despair.”

~John Milton, Early human scholar M2 Treatise on the Long War

The logicians have been consulted and my points are correct. I have committed the 65th company, 11,553 points (and one extra OOC vow) to the fray and await the official call. Though I shall not order recall, I shall feel pride in the fight to the last, and I shall trust in the comrades in who we have entrusted this endeavor to us all. Well done, to all the faithful, the vanguard, the harbingers of the new era. No matter our final result, well done one and all.

And many times thank you Captain Semper for organizing this and keeping it running, it's been an absolute best. So my humblest thanks and deepest gratitude mate! My first ETL has been fantastic, and by the grace of fate, it shan't be my last!

I second this; Thanks Semper! Great event as always!

...and I'm calling my second vow complete

Way to go, Balthamal! I would have cried to see those beautiful Alpha Legion not pick up a point :smile.:

Beautiful is a stretch indeed sir but the sentiment means a great deal :happy.:

Hah, go team -cheerleading, waving a banner around- 

Hey it was awesome you lively laudable lot!  And thanks Der_H, I'm pretty happy with how those vets came out.  I really didn't plan them at all, just kinda saw a new unopened box, a bunch of unused bits and said 'Meh, lets see where this goes'.  Now I kiiinda want to nab some more, but got death guard bits for a second vet group coming in too.  Of course, eh? 

Naah Balthamal, those look like they're pretty awesome and metallics work out great.  Better in person too, and they already look great (Oh how I know, lenses on my stuff always looks a bit weird I have no idea how that one vet side-by-side picture turned out).  

So, this all a cool down period for y'all or got some other projects cookin' up? 

Hah, go team -cheerleading, waving a banner around- 

Hey it was awesome you lively laudable lot!  And thanks Der_H, I'm pretty happy with how those vets came out.  I really didn't plan them at all, just kinda saw a new unopened box, a bunch of unused bits and said 'Meh, lets see where this goes'.  Now I kiiinda want to nab some more, but got death guard bits for a second vet group coming in too.  Of course, eh? 

Naah Balthamal, those look like they're pretty awesome and metallics work out great.  Better in person too, and they already look great (Oh how I know, lenses on my stuff always looks a bit weird I have no idea how that one vet side-by-side picture turned out).  

So, this all a cool down period for y'all or got some other projects cookin' up? 

My next project is my Custodes I've had sitting around in the boxes all year.

I will try to get my Alpha Legion to 500 points (zone mortalis?), but will inevitably slow down. Are there any other suitable events to help keep up motivation?

Those are two pretty cool projects, mates.  Custodes are good... too good -laughs- I'm building a few 'cause of the prospero kit, probably flip 'em to pay for another Eagle or a chunk of a Cerastus.  But they are a fun group to paint up, and I still kinda want to work on Valdor and some of their grav stuff. 

Aaah, a Zone Mortalis force, now that could be cool, Lamebeard.  I'm taking it a little smaller myself and planning on a few Kill Teams of various legions (I'm not sure how I'd feel doing a whole army of Alpha Legion but I'm totally down for a squad or two).  

Whatcha both putting in your forces, eh?  

My project is just waiting on some more vets, currently staring at the FW site.  I've got a bunch of Orks (2 speed kult boxes and some other stuff) to make a mad max style army... gotta do that some time, but right now I'm thinking on finishing touches for the short term on the 65th. 

So, theres a 1k starter tourney (single battalion) at the end of the month for 40k near me. I'll be playing custodes in. I'm running 3x Dawneagle Jetbikes Captains and 9 Custodian Guard. Im painting them in the finery of the Solar Watch, so 22 days to paint 12 models.

After the ETL, should be a breeze eh?  Custodes are a really awesome looking army, and among them the Custodian Guard and Wardens in particular are just terrific.  Got plans for an expansion?   Solar Watch, eh, bone white or platinum metallic colouration? (experimenting with white aluminum from vallejo might be pretty cool) 

I'm interested in everything that allows me to build some ridiculous models/armies that I can't justify in regular games!  (See Cinder Wolf :tongue.:

Kinda wondering if the Blood Angels will get much more on 'em by then, or if I'll get to finally make the whole of the 65th at Istvaan. Hmm, or maybe Deathguard... World Eaters... -ponders- Restart my Emperors Children even.

Anyone interested in Loyalty and Treachery? :whistling:

Absolutely! Even if I was an oathbreaker for this go around :sweat:

And sorry guys! I lived up to my username and let you all down. But I must say, I never would have made as much progress or challenged myself as much as I did without having pledged. I might have challenged myself a little too much, and I ended up wasting an enormous amount of time in masking tape hell. Attempting checkerboards is likely something I would have put off for ages without the pressure of a deadline.

Anyway, I have this scheme down to where I'm very happy with it now, and my next projects are just going to be more of these Knights for a while. I definitely still need to finish the one I started, too! After that (or if I just need a break from knights) I'm going to move to one of two projects:

- Mechanicum Taghmata Scoria, but because I can never let anything just be easy, it's going to be in this scheme instead of the Malinax bone,

or

- mid-Heresy Traitor Emperor's Children inspired heavily by Andy Hoare's, with mostly black vehicles and sinister red eye lenses.

After the ETL, should be a breeze eh? Custodes are a really awesome looking army, and among them the Custodian Guard and Wardens in particular are just terrific. Got plans for an expansion? Solar Watch, eh, bone white or platinum metallic colouration? (experimenting with white aluminum from vallejo might be pretty cool)

Bone white with metallic trim

Aaah, a Zone Mortalis force, now that could be cool, Lamebeard. I'm taking it a little smaller myself and planning on a few Kill Teams of various legions (I'm not sure how I'd feel doing a whole army of Alpha Legion but I'm totally down for a squad or two).

Whatcha both putting in your forces, eh?

Yes, Kill Team (for 7th edition) will be my first target - except ...

... my son has decided he wants to play ‘Betrayal at Calth’ (until now just played Age of Sigmar stuff). I think he realises by promising me a game he can wheedle the unbuilt stuff out of me. He has eyes on the dreadnought especially. I told him he has to choose a legion (showed him Kizzdoug’s March of the Legions) and he’s going for Thousand Sons or Word Bearers (bear with me, this will get back on topic). Now I was building the set as World Eaters vs Blood Angels - not so much ‘Betrayal at Calth’ as ‘Siege of Terra’.

Our priority will be a full veteran tactical squad each for the first mission. So I need a loyal legion. So do I finish the Blood Angels (don’t like the idea of red vs red), make my Alpha Legion the loyalists (hmmm) or start a whole new legion (probably Imperial Fists)?

Anyone interested in Loyalty and Treachery? :whistling:

You bet, Cap'n! I'm up for anything that helps motivate me to paint just as long as I can stay on the Loyalist side.

Captain Semper, I never slowed down long enough during ETL to tell you just how much I appreciate the time and energy you put into this event. You are the true hero of this event. Thank you for making ETL possible.

My immediate project is putting my studio back together after the electricians got through wiring it last weekend. It looks as though a bomb went off up there. But I'm psyched that it's now all fancy breaker box, plugs and switches instead of running on extension cords from the barn. Unfortunately they didn't do a great job of putting the insulation back when they finished, so I've been fixing that and cleaning sawdust since Wednesday.

My next project, funny enough, is a veteran squad. I had it prepped as one of my ETL possibilities. It's WYSIWYG and so has every little holstered pistol and grenade. I figure that will keep me out of trouble for a while.

Edited for stupid fingers

-winces- maaaan, that is definitely a thing Lamebeard.  Hmm, if it was the other way arond, the Word Bearers could have been in their secular grey armour while the Blood Angels are always red.  Hmmm.  The only other thing I can think of is promising the Prospero thing down the line as Thousand Sons, but honestly... that's tough. But what about switching it up and following something closer to, say, the Furious Abyss and have Word Bearers vs. World Eaters?  It's about that scale, honestly, and World Eaters had some pretty neat loyalists around too.  But the Alpha legion is possible, and Imperial Fists are also possible (and what can I say, the 7th look great in Cataphractii).  

I do have to admit I did find Betrayal at Calth was a surprising game and I enjoyed it a ton.  

@Captain Semper, when is that Treachery and Loyalty, roughly?  :P  Want to know if I need to save a bit for a Mastodon. 

@StatusJoe, you know that is definitely an intimidating scheme.  Good luck with it and you better keep us updated eh, mate! 

and @LetsYouDown , that is still a pretty ironic handle at this point but no worries.  There are some far more guilty than thou -mock glares like the eye of Sauron from atop the crumbling tower... probably the wrong one at that- Hah, nah, seriously though it's all good.  This kind of stuff is half friendly competition, half friendly encouragement to share some painting secrets, get motivation to try new stuff, and finally paint those mounds of plastic that we all have!  It's good for all of us, and the only physical prize is what we can show as our progress at the end of the day!  Well, and some badges, but everyone gets one (even if it's an oathbreaker badge... but it's a big skulled chaplain, that's still cool :P ) 'S all good, and now it's some legacy to work with next year when we do this all again.  

Interesting idea about the darker emperors children.  Heh, might have to try to match ya a bit but in the high gloss metallic purple of the pre-heresy sorts.  It's a cool idea, as is the mechanicum.  That all kinda bronzy sort?  Hmm, wonder how well it would take weathering. Always a bit of a fear. 

What is this ‘Loyalty & Treachery’ of which you speak? It sounds like it could be up my alley.

Here, have a look: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329859-loyalty-treachery-iii/?p=4623798

... But what about switching it up and following something closer to, say, the Furious Abyss and have Word Bearers vs. World Eaters?  It's about that scale, honestly, and World Eaters had some pretty neat loyalists around too.  But the Alpha legion is possible, and Imperial Fists are also possible (and what can I say, the 7th look great in Cataphractii).  

I do have to admit I did find Betrayal at Calth was a surprising game and I enjoyed it a ton. 

Now that is the answer!  I was not a big fan of the book, but I always envisaged my World Eaters as far from the primarch's favour, and was keeping my options open on Traitor or Loyalist.  So this solves many problems, because I was struggling to convert the terminators to look more 'Blood Angel' - I even traded up to resin version, but was now waiting to see if Forgeworld will produce Blood Angel terminators.

So much easier to convert the terminators to World Eaters, and one 10-man squad of vets is nearly ready, I can hold fire on the second squad.

Then my Blood Angel Vets can be a Kill Team (again, nearly ready for paint).

And the spares I've left mean I can do a second squad of Alpha Legion, my son can at least start his Word Bearers, and he can have the dreadnought down the line (again, I was struggling to see how I was going to convert the pose, but my son doesn't seem to mind it).

All round time saver. To the bits store!

What is this ‘Loyalty & Treachery’ of which you speak? It sounds like it could be up my alley.

Here, have a look: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329859-loyalty-treachery-iii/?p=4623798

When do you think this event will kick off? I'm going to have to start cordoning off some HH models for L&T

Archived