+++Aeldari Outpost+++

Captain Semper

So I've been trying to get going on my stuff and get a vow in, but I'm actually stuck on a basing scheme. Anyone have any ideas for a "webway" base? My thought on the Lugganath army I'm building is that it will have Lugganath, a Harlequin troupe, and possibly some corsairs, all "emerging from the webway".

Have you considered trying a mist or wispy fog effect? Teased cotton, pillow filler, dental floss, or spider web (like the the kits you see in stores around Halloweeen time) will give varying densities.

Have you considered trying a mist or wispy fog effect? Teased cotton, pillow filler, dental floss, or spider web (like the the kits you see in stores around Halloweeen time) will give varying densities.

That's a cool idea! What else would you put on the base? I'd been thinking of some kind of cobble- or paving stones of some kind.

I've been trying to find descriptions of the webway, but I haven't been all that successful on what it looks like. I'm not normally that concerned with the official representation, but I'd at least like to have a starting place.

I would put paver (or slate/marble) stones and rubble on the bases. Webways go hand in hand with wraithbone for me so I’d try for something to represent that. The rubble would be to transition to other terrain and show general decay of the webway. Or...I’d go with something like the Desecrated Lands based from Dragon Forge. Has the paver stone appearance and the patterns on those would fit well in my opinion. Plus random skulls? It is 40k and the webway isn’t safe for the unprepared.

I also really like the idea of water effects on some parts of the bases as that could be used to create an iridescent effect maybe. This isn’t something I feel I could pull off but it seems to have potential.

Progress has been slower than I would like. I was able to spend time this weekend working on my vow instead of working...so had that going for me! Everything is still at various stages of what I consider the pre-shading phase since my palette remains monochrome (working up from black primer to white highlights in this case). At some point I'll shift to glazes and washes to add color and deepen the shadows. Not the most efficient way to paint but it helps me visualize where to shade and highlight easier.

Drazhar is the furthest along. Ideally it will only take another 2-3 transitions to move up to pure white for the extreme highlights. Then comes the point where I had to make a decision on colors instead of changing my mind every other day. The wrack is partially through the stage that is finished on Drazhar. Figured I'd show it just to give an idea of how details start to get picked out. There are a few things I've messed up on all the figures getting to this point but I think I can correct the items without too much hassle.

med_gallery_70556_14545_122534.jpgmed_gallery_70556_14545_207226.jpg

Great progress here guys - keep the pace!

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE.

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Final shot before I have a crack at the motley. How hard can it be, right? I bought a new brush and everything.

med_gallery_54681_14477_754178.jpg

I was tempted to call it there for these guys - they're already far beyond my old standard that I used to paint to. But I'll be damned if I get left behind in the wake of the gorgeous stuff all you guys are doing!

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_9407_434717.jpg

Just here to make a list for She Who Thirsts...
Those whose souls are forfeit upon failure of vows
:biggrin.:

But more seriously, as WarriorFish mentioned, my army is based as if fighting in a (wraithbone) Eldar settlement.
You can see the Armies on Parade board Here
Scroll down for the better images.
If it provides anyone with ideas, great.

And, made a couple of years ago, I have a Webway Gate (it’s more of a backdoor now, compared to the new, official model...but Slaanesh is interested in penetrating any way. Front or back):

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_13407_936576.jpg

I used UV-cured resin from the hundred-yen store (like a dollar-store, I guess). This particular one had a little glitter in it.

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_9407_434717.jpg

Just here to make a list for She Who Thirsts...

Those whose souls are forfeit upon failure of vows

:biggrin.:

But more seriously, as WarriorFish mentioned, my army is based as if fighting in a (wraithbone) Eldar settlement.

You can see the Armies on Parade board Here

Scroll down for the better images.

If it provides anyone with ideas, great.

And, made a couple of years ago, I have a Webway Gate (it’s more of a backdoor now, compared to the new, official model...but Slaanesh is interested in penetrating any way. Front or back):

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_13407_936576.jpg

I used UV-cured resin from the hundred-yen store (like a dollar-store, I guess). This particular one had a little glitter in it.

Maybe the new terrain might be of interest to you. :wink:

One last update before completion of Karandras.

Hidden Content

UwAr0rP.png

This looks seriously good man - excellent post and stance and great detail in the armour! :yes: Can't wait to see this painted!

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE.

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

I, Bryan Blaire, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Aeldari and vow to complete a Farseer Skyrunner with a Singing Spear for a total points value of 140 pts on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring eternal glory to the Craftworld of Lugganath and all Aeldari people, even the cursed Drukhari - may their souls find no solace, while failure will doom me to once more wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until redeemed.

(I realized that all my other units that I had wanted to paint had all been started...)

I am well and truly overdue for an update, and the reason for the delay is stupid.

I'm contending with some health/medical issues right now, which I'll leave vague only for the sake of brevity and because the internet does not care about my suffering. It's not that I can't paint (more or less). The problem was I ran out of matte varnish, and then could not physically go buy more for the better part of a week. Now that things aren't all shiny any more, I can finally share what I've done.

What I've done is spend 14 hours painting feathers.

Action shot:

VkfGdur.jpg

Dear god the feathers.

Here's the effectively completed first Scourge.

IcRLqmR.jpg

DHAxmsQ.jpg

MqGW0Td.jpg

lKO8nGK.jpg

After telling myself over and over that I didn't want to base the wings on an actual bird (because Scourges are more alien and exotic than that) I ended up basing them on the red-winged blackbirds that I used to see all the time where I grew up. I still feel like the faceplate and eyes need something, so I might go back and mess with them later. I know I don't want to do the usual bright/contrasting color for the eyes on these models, but maybe a glaze and reflected highlight or something would do it. I certainly have more faceplates coming up to experiment on.

A box of Scourges comes with two sets of bat wings and three sets with feathers. I definitely want the Solarite to be feathered, but I think I'm going to swap the third set of feathered wings for some bat wings from another box. Because OH DEAR GOD THE FEATHERS WHY

GYxhtpE.jpg

Finally, here's an extremely WIP picture of Scourge number two.

9uAWJT3.jpg

I love that head so much. I think I need to come up with ways to change it so I can use it on other models without them looking like they've got the same head as this guy.

I, Bryan Blaire, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Aeldari and vow to complete a Farseer Skyrunner with a Singing Spear for a total points value of 140 pts on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring eternal glory to the Craftworld of Lugganath and all Aeldari people, even the cursed Drukhari - may their souls find no solace, while failure will doom me to once more wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until redeemed.

(I realized that all my other units that I had wanted to paint had all been started...)

Well Bryan, I really look forward to see your take on the filthy degenerate Xenos witch! Good luck mate!

I am well and truly overdue for an update, and the reason for the delay is stupid.

I'm contending with some health/medical issues right now, which I'll leave vague only for the sake of brevity and because the internet does not care about my suffering. It's not that I can't paint (more or less). The problem was I ran out of matte varnish, and then could not physically go buy more for the better part of a week. Now that things aren't all shiny any more, I can finally share what I've done.

What I've done is spend 14 hours painting feathers.

Action shot:

Hidden Content

VkfGdur.jpg

Dear god the feathers.

Here's the effectively completed first Scourge.

IcRLqmR.jpg

DHAxmsQ.jpg

MqGW0Td.jpg

lKO8nGK.jpg

After telling myself over and over that I didn't want to base the wings on an actual bird (because Scourges are more alien and exotic than that) I ended up basing them on the red-winged blackbirds that I used to see all the time where I grew up. I still feel like the faceplate and eyes need something, so I might go back and mess with them later. I know I don't want to do the usual bright/contrasting color for the eyes on these models, but maybe a glaze and reflected highlight or something would do it. I certainly have more faceplates coming up to experiment on.

A box of Scourges comes with two sets of bat wings and three sets with feathers. I definitely want the Solarite to be feathered, but I think I'm going to swap the third set of feathered wings for some bat wings from another box. Because OH DEAR GOD THE FEATHERS WHY

GYxhtpE.jpg

Finally, here's an extremely WIP picture of Scourge number two.

9uAWJT3.jpg

I love that head so much. I think I need to come up with ways to change it so I can use it on other models without them looking like they've got the same head as this guy.

Well Calyptra, what can I say... You are a great artist man - and all this effort you put on the detail, it sure pays off... Keep going man!

AT LONG LAST:

I, Vel'Cona, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Aeldari (Eldar for we old crows :tongue.:) and vow to complete five (5) Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors of total value 47 points on or before August 1st, 2018.  Success will bring me unending bliss in the pained faces of my opposition while failure will doom me to a slow excruciation at the hands of the Haemonculi.  I'll also wear a Badge of the Oathbreaker until year end, which will cause equal suffering at the hands of the Frater :laugh.:

At long last indeed! Welcome officially to the ETL Vel, let's see those Kabalites coming to life! (don't forget the "before" pics :))

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Update!

Remember when I said I thought the Scourge with bat wings would go faster on account of not having feathers? Yeah, so about that....

Listen! Do you hear it?

That's the sound of a tiny plastic bat wing crying out, begging to be painted in all sorts of interesting ways. Two brush blending! Stippled glazes! Vascular freehand!

VgD0tEY.jpg

How could I say no to that?

I even skipped my plan to paint some sort of design tattooed on the wings because I was having so much fun painting the membranes.

YU6mt4a.jpg

7Zx5B2W.jpg

FvEjBYA.jpg

Total painting time was 25 hours. I regret nothing.

Archived