+++Aeldari Outpost+++

Captain Semper

A bit earlier than usual - I will not have the time to update later today...

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE.

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

And vow 1 is finished!

med_gallery_54681_14477_734238.jpg

I've finally hit the point of diminishing returns, and so these guys are done! (Every time I close my eyes, I see a diamond pattern now.) There's some individual pics in my WIP thread.

And now, onto vow 2!

I, Papewaio, accept the dance of E TENEBRAE LUX in the guise of the Harlequins of the Aeldari forum and vow to complete 2 Starweavers, 2 Skyweavers with haywire cannons and zephyrglaives, and a Troupe Master with power sword and shuriken pistol of total value 374 points on or before August 1st, 2018. A complete performance is its own reward, but failure will doom my soul to Slaanesh (and the Badge of the Oathbreaker) until the year-end.

med_gallery_54681_14477_22841.jpg

AT LAST, an Aeldari completion! :woot:

Congratulations Papewaio, not only you completed the largest vow pledged for the Aeldari first, it was also Harlequins! :o And now a follow up with Harlequin vehicles? Oh, boy! Good luck man! 

UPDATED TO THIS POINT! 

A new pattern for a new troupe master! (Cheers for the suggestion Bryan Blaire!) It has more of a patchwork feel to it in comparison to the rest of the troupe. I'm tempted to try it on the vehicles, but it might break the motley pattern across the army? I dunno, any thoughts?

sml_gallery_54681_14477_532275.jpg sml_gallery_54681_14477_228637.jpg

This is coming along beautifully! 

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Have you considered trying a mist or wispy fog effect? Teased cotton, pillow filler, dental floss, or spider web (like the the kits you see in stores around Halloweeen time) will give varying densities.

That's a cool idea! What else would you put on the base? I'd been thinking of some kind of cobble- or paving stones of some kind.

I've been trying to find descriptions of the webway, but I haven't been all that successful on what it looks like. I'm not normally that concerned with the official representation, but I'd at least like to have a starting place.

Read the old Inquisition novels by Ian Watson, they spent a lot of time running around the webway. If memory serves it was dark, blue and misty.

Do you folks have any words of inspiration? Currently, I'm not really getting much enjoyment out of painting my Dark Eldar. I'll paint the models of my first vow at some point before the end, because I promised I would, but I'm not really feeling like making any additional vows. 

Any advice?

Cheers.

Dallo

I'm notorious for not getting a lot of painting done, and it's even worse when it's a scheme I ended up not liking once I was finally putting brush to model. Not knowing what the final scheme is can definitely be frustrating. Show us what you have so far and maybe some different on eyes on it can help you finalize it. 

I finished this one up a while back, but have been delayed in posting it because reasons.

XzMimcs.jpg

rcJbsl5.jpg

5ckQdm4.jpg

xcTkm0v.jpg

I painted this Scourge based on the Honduran white bat. (Or cotton ball tent bat or Caribbean white tent-making bat. Common names are stupid. It's Ectophylla albus.) I did this for a very important reason: THEY'RE SO CUTE.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xCsmyXWq_48/Tq08CskQM0I/AAAAAAAAAXg/gYgjt5KtmDY/s640/ectophyllaalba3+murci%25C3%25A9lago+blanco+caribe%25C3%25B1o.jpg

hbat1.jpg

Good progress there Calyptra - and those bats are cute indeed! Don't see the connection to the Scourge but that doesn't make them any less cute! :lol:

THIS IS THE CUT-OFF FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATE - EVERY VOW OR COMPLETION REPORTED BEYOND THIS POINT WILL COUNT FOR NEXT WEEK'S UPDATE!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Don't see the connection to the Scourge but that doesn't make them any less cute! :lol:

That's fine - I kept it subtle so the model wouldn't be too different from the others in its unit, and did it entirely for my own entertainment.

I worked pretty hard at matching the color of the membranes of the wings, though mine are a bit lighter than the bats. The Scourge's hair is white (albeit the cool, blueish white I used on the hair elsewhere in the army) with a touch of yellow. Finally, the bats' skin has a deep, rich, orange color that shifts into yellow towards the extremities. I painted the Scourge's skin with my standard recipe, and then spent 3 hours working in oranges and yellows with glazes on the shoulders and wings. It took so long because all the purple I paint with didn't take kindly to me adding yellow.

I think I ended up with color transitions that look natural but an overall composition that's a bit awkward. I am perfectly content with that if whenever I look at this model I think of really cute bats.

Slow progress on my vow.  Small impact from work projects going crazy and significantly reducing my painting time.  More of an impact in motivation as I haven't liked how some of the painting has turned out so far.  Considering stripping Asurmen and starting over on him but not sure if I can do that and still finish in time.   

Same here, work's a PITA and deadlines keep on having to be pushed up :( I got three out of ten Avengers mostly done, but soon i'll take a day off or two and kick in gears! Not that i could match a certain (self-proclaimed :P ) lunatic's beautiful DEldar, but i'll give it my best shot anyways!

On a side note, my wife looked over my shoulder while looking at those bats, the frequencies of her yelling CUUUUUTE would have made a noise marine blush in shame :D

Archived