+++Aeldari Outpost+++

Captain Semper

I, Boytoy, accept the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX for the exquisite delight of the Dark Eldar and vow to complete a splinter of 10 kabalites (2xblaster, dark lance, PS), a circle of 10 wyches (hydra, razorflails, shardnet, agonizer) and two raiders, for a combined total of 402 points, on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring enjoyment to the skies of Commoragh, failure will  doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker til year-end.

Welcome Boytoy, good to see some more Dark Eldar here! Good luck!

Now we're entering the last 24 hours before the First Weekly Update (out Wednesday). Let's see some more joining up until then!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Wohoo, progress! I always knew doing these guys would be slow, but hey, its faster than I initially anticipated.

med_gallery_54681_14477_105025.jpg

I don't really have an idea of what I want to do for the diamond bases. Any suggestions as to colour/patterns?

I was a little slow on the uptake for this on account of real life and injury, but I got here eventually.

I, Calyptra, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX, nominally for the True Kin and the glory of Commorragh, but mostly for personal gratification. I hereby vow to paint 5 Scourges (blasters, blast pistol, venom blade), valued at 140 points, on or before August 1st 2018, unless I get distracted or bored, in which case I shall wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until year's end.

xzbhDUP.jpg

Don't worry, if enough people kick enough babies, I'm sure they'll get their wings.

I'm guessing it will take me somewhere between 75 and 100 hours of painting to complete these models (15-20 hours each). We can find out how wrong I am together!

Well, my allegiance this time is with the Astartes forum, but seeing as I have game coming up and a few models to paint in time for it...

I, Halandaar, rise to the challenge of E Tenebrae Lux with an Out of Competition Vow for the dark glory of Commorragh. I pledge to complete the following vow before August 1st, 2018.

• "Lelith Hesperax"
  • 5 Scourges (4 Dark Lances, 1 Shardcarbine)

Failure will doom me to an eternity of torment in the dungeons of the Covens.

gallery_84244_14220_59814.jpg

Welcome Calyptra, those Scourges are awesomely posed! Now this seems to be a huge commitment if you plan to devote 15-20 hours on each... I can't wait to see the result! :o

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Limited progress this week. Got everything primed and started on preshading. My carpal tunnel syndrome has flared up so I’m painting significantly slower than normal. Not that I was a fast to begin with. Ah well. No pictures this time as I haven’t finished the preshading.

@Calyptra - It’s awesome to see you join in. The pictures you’ve shared on the B&C are one of the major reasons why I decided to start working on Dark Eldar again.

@Papewaio - The scheme looks great. Harlequins have had a special place in my hobby heart since they were released. No ideas to offer you on the bases but looking forward to seeing these finished.

@BCK - Wow! I know it’s just the start but very interested to see your vision progress. Have you considered making Arhra?

@micahwc - Love it! Did you decide to call these done or are you still working on them?

Welcome Calyptra, those Scourges are awesomely posed! Now this seems to be a huge commitment if you plan to devote 15-20 hours on each... I can't wait to see the result! :o

I have a problem where it's very difficult for me to voluntarily paint a model to a lower standard than I am able. I don't want to think, "This model could look so much better if I'd just spent a little more time on it," every time I look at it.

"But Calyptra!" somebody somewhere is saying, because I provided them with a script. "Every model doesn't need to be covered in two brush blending and glazed freehand patterns. Surely you can find some sort of compromise."

But the thing is, this IS the compromise! That's why I limit myself to no more than 5 stages of highlighting. That's why I can paint a trooper in just 10 hours, as opposed to a character, which usually takes me about 30 hours.

I also have a problem where I consistently underestimate how long everything takes (which is part of why I started tracking the hours). For example, in the Xenos Challenge I thought it would take me about 90 hours to paint a Talos, a Cronos, and a Haemonculus. That took me over 150 hours of painting.

I have a problem. Please, I need help.

Somebody bring me a pizza.

Well, don't cut corners! Take your time and work to the best of your ability, there is no gain in doing something sub-standard. The ethos of the ETL is for people to paint at the best of their ability. Just make sure you finish by the end of the event! :D

Here's my weekly progress report/update.

oRZav4u.jpg

Aai0U3U.jpg

She's mostly done, I think (apart from the wings). As the first Scourge, I'm still experimenting and figuring things out. I haven't decided yet if the faceplate and eyes are done, I think the gloves might need one more stage of highlighting, and I'm waiting to the finish the crest until I know I'm going to paint the wings.

I'm kind of nervous about the wings. It's a *lot* of feathers, and I'm not sure yet how I want them to look.

It took me about 9 and a half hours of painting to get this far, which is about what I expected. How long the wings will take is pretty much an open question. Things should speed up a bit after the first model, but real life is complicating things. I'm pretty much wrecked from performing, and I'm contending with a nerve injury that's effecting my left arm and hand. It's difficult to paint when you don't have it in you to sit upright.

...but not impossible. Action shot.

R8Z5QKB.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

Calyptra, that scourge is gorgeous! I'm especially digging the purple flesh, its fantastic.

med_gallery_54681_14477_662075.jpg

Starting to get to crunch time now. The jury is still out on what I'm going to do with the bases though.

I Marshal Wolfhart rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Aeldari of the Craftworlds and vow to complete one unit of 6 Striking Scorpions with a Scorpion's Claw on the Exarch and two squads of five Dire Avengers each with Dual Avenger Catapults on the Exarch of total value of 224 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end!

Wednesday has come, freeing up some time for sweet, sweet painting :biggrin.:

Entry picture:

uF1puSY.jpg

For progress pictures i'll dig out ye olde camera again, i promise ;)

It seems like every single time I join some sort of event with a deadline, life rears its ugly head for me. Anyway, I'm still alive and managed to get some work done on Karandras last night:

5c1Cz5I.png

The plan is to have him finished up shortly so I can focus on Jain Zar. 

Have you thought about doing any kind of vanes coming from the back up over the shoulders, similar to how the Guardians, Incubi, Dark Reapers, and Wraith units? Might be an interesting way to add some 'Scorpion-ness' without going overboard on it or adding anything overt, like on Karandras's helm.

---------------------------------------

So I've been trying to get going on my stuff and get a vow in, but I'm actually stuck on a basing scheme. Anyone have any ideas for a "webway" base? My thought on the Lugganath army I'm building is that it will have Lugganath, a Harlequin troupe, and possibly some corsairs, all "emerging from the webway".

Welcome Marshal Wolfhart - good luck with those Aspect Warriors! :thumbsup:

@ Calyptra: Your skill level is exceptional... I'm not even qualified to comment. :ohmy.:

@ BCK: This is very a impressive take Karandras! Keep going man, no matter what real life holds! (well, figure of speech). And look forward for Jain Zar! :drool:

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Archived