I am well and truly overdue for an update, and the reason for the delay is stupid.
I'm contending with some health/medical issues right now, which I'll leave vague only for the sake of brevity and because the internet does not care about my suffering. It's not that I can't paint (more or less). The problem was I ran out of matte varnish, and then could not physically go buy more for the better part of a week. Now that things aren't all shiny any more, I can finally share what I've done.
What I've done is spend 14 hours painting feathers.
Dear god the feathers.
Here's the effectively completed first Scourge.
After telling myself over and over that I didn't want to base the wings on an actual bird (because Scourges are more alien and exotic than that) I ended up basing them on the red-winged blackbirds that I used to see all the time where I grew up. I still feel like the faceplate and eyes need something, so I might go back and mess with them later. I know I don't want to do the usual bright/contrasting color for the eyes on these models, but maybe a glaze and reflected highlight or something would do it. I certainly have more faceplates coming up to experiment on.
A box of Scourges comes with two sets of bat wings and three sets with feathers. I definitely want the Solarite to be feathered, but I think I'm going to swap the third set of feathered wings for some bat wings from another box. Because OH DEAR GOD THE FEATHERS WHY
Finally, here's an extremely WIP picture of Scourge number two.
I love that head so much. I think I need to come up with ways to change it so I can use it on other models without them looking like they've got the same head as this guy.
Edited by Calyptra, 31 May 2018 - 05:03 PM.