Krakendoomcool’s Nurgle CSM - WIP Inquisitor Martyr Helbrute

Krakendoomcool

Greetings fellow Chaos enthusiasts,

I’m new to forums and blogging. But I have been on b&c about a month in the Space Wolves section (boo!). I’ve spoken to a few of you out there on b&c.

I’ve got some Nurgle Chaos Space Marines, daemons and Deathguard to share. Basically anything Nurgle.

I was really very happy with the Deathguard in the short lived Chaos Legions codex that came out right at the end of 7th. I could finally use my Nurgle force as Deathguard. Although obviously the Deathguard codex came out it actually doesn’t contain a lot of my army.

Here are some pretty old by this point (10 years?) Obliterators I’ve kitbashed...

99499aa2-e01f-4cf6-a376-935e6a1481f6-e15

abb61f5e-e992-4b11-933a-f543c9d51c0c-e15

be17985d-32a7-421a-8b2e-93671895b035.jpe

fe0cb723-ff5e-47de-8fe9-65e146b168da.jpe

d499f312-6a04-431a-b182-bb80ce6d912b.jpe

As I say they are pretty old but GW hasn’t released any oblits since the ugly ones that forced me into making these in the first place.

I’ve done a little write up of these on a blog I write on with a couple of friends:

https://krakendoomcool.wordpress.com/2018/04/29/writing-my-oblituary-kitbash-obliterators/

Here is my Mamon also...

2ffbc9b4-19d0-4fdb-bf8f-aa8dd3b1a330.jpe

420d158d-ed24-43c0-8a57-7e93682353d0.jpe

Hope you like it,

Krakendoomcool

When I first saw the Blightdrone in Imperial Armour the forgeworld guys had done a sewage discharge which I thought was so amazing. I’ve seen the same blightdrone at Warhammer World and still love it. Even though I don’t actually know how they did it, and even though it delayed me finishing my blight drone by at least 2 years I knew it had to have sewage discharge!

e7a764e7-8c98-4e69-b691-b15f67a3c1fa.jpe

2508b73a-65fc-4a2e-91e5-a959d68e8d5d.jpe

c51eaa20-030f-4cfa-8f79-7d3d1cbcf8bb.jpe

I used wire, hot glue gun and brown wash for the sewage discharge. The wire was the basis for the splash. I make maggots every time I have left over green stuff. By sticking maggots on the ends of the wires I could disguise the fact it was wires. The maggots flying through the air is an effect in itself. The wash also helps disguise the wires, if you do happen to see the wire through the wash it can come across as stringy bits (I’m gonna wretch!).

I love these Oblitorators and I've been dying for you to post them for so long. I'm definitely going to make a start on mine soon (sometime after my current project).  Also your Blight drone's supper cool sewage dump was what gave me the confidence to do the green glue gun slime on my Tervigon's Ovipositor. You should whip out the daemon princes sometime soon.  Just give everyone a chance to appreciate these guys, they are super badass.

@ Excessus

Highest possible praise for Nurgle stuff. Thanks!

@ Fhanados

Steal away, I did!

@ Azwaz

Thanks. I’d be very interested in seeing some crazy Tzeentch oblits by you. Argh, your twisting my arm, ok here’s the daemon princes...

Here is my first Daemon Prince. He’s pretty old by this point. The fly concept is all over the Nurgle daemon Prince Model anyway. I love that model. I extended the fly concept with the only fly head available at the time from the chaos spawn set. Then a plastic take away tub was used to make the wings...

d5bf6cd8-a608-4a0e-be86-e5f3e53b85ad.jpe

30bd888b-48de-4301-8b28-06b614d340b3.jpe

He is also based on the character in ‘The flight of the Eisenstein’ who turns into a big fly monster. He’s had fantastic rules in several edition especially in 7th when he had a crazy cover save and even crazier Bale Sword.

I liked him so much I decided to have another go...

791745e2-e231-4a83-99a1-eab7f0c0da6e.jpe

adb5e0d1-ccfd-4f8d-807a-6bf8f07f8fe0.jpe

Here’s a close up on some of the details. There’s a load of tentacle maker pipes, chains, green stuff fly symbol shoulder pad. The centipede on the shoulder is tentacle maker again, with a silly sculpted face.

1eede528-d4d4-45fe-8bd5-afd93fc6a358.jpe

There is a poor soul chained up and feeding the daemon sword, there is a piece of artwork I based this on....

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/5/5a/Daemon_Prince.jpg/300px-Daemon_Prince.jpg

96c0e0c5-d3ec-41ad-a5ca-5ccbaf3cc23c.jpe

I haven’t finished painting him. I’ve got a tendency to get over excited by the next ten projects whenever I’m paintng something.

He looks a bit Wood Elf butterfly right now. The wings will eventually be more subtle sort of oil refraction effect in the end. Like on this plague drone...

edcab8c0-2873-4cb7-9626-40f5c56fb2fd.jpe

Sweeeeet.  I love these guys too, I like how different they are. I may have to pick your brain sometime soon when I want to make a possessed plague marine.  I think they still hold their own, it will be cool to see your next nurgle project when your leave your wolves behind again

@ Azwaz

I’m looking forward to a lot of your possessed but I guess from my point of view the Deathguard and the space wolf the most

Looking through my old stuff I realised great grand father Nurgle has provided four generations of Nurgle Chaos Space Marine, dating back a long way and I can easily see the changes in my painting as the years go by.

Old school Plague marines...

9fcec81c-2b2f-4fe1-9962-69677164b24c.jpe

Nurgle Chaos Space Marines, these were very much at the time when I realised the best chance of my using a painted army on the table top was my Nurgle stuff. Quick and easy...

3798f421-8520-4842-8081-52137c7da923.jpe

These next ones have the green stuff fly shoulder pad on one side and three Nurgle blisters on the other. Green stuff maggots make an appearance here too...

9a06b3e2-ebcf-44e9-8616-0e82fd21d94f.jpe

The next set is possibly the only time I’ve used an airbrush.

64ec14d5-57a8-4e42-8a52-f7b03f07750e.jpe

The green stuff shoulder pads are still present but with a bit more effort going into distressing them. A few centipedes bursting out too for good measure...

6d463a34-a22f-46a6-b7dd-5fbeed94fc15.jpe

5ded933f-e829-4974-9a01-4983663a5783.jpe

With all the dark imperium Deathguard I’m due another go. Generation five.

Ha ha ha ha... that guy with the horn coming out of his face is amazing.  I love your nurgle army, well all of them really. you put a lot of effort in and then the whole force has this completed, tied in feeling. I love it.  All you'd need is a decent table and then it would start to look like a diorama.  I also love the conversions, tweaks and personal touches throughout your armies, and all 3 provide completely different potential.

For the Nurgle army its trying to provoke that gross out uncomfortable feeling like I'm trying to do with my tzeentch, I think its a bit easier for you though.  Everyone knows that rot, maggots, puss and stuff like that is gross where as I need to try to do more non-mutilation body horror with my Tzeentch stuff.  I feel like that restricts me a bit and I get really jealous of your Nurgle stuff and how much fun it must be to corrode, and infect up your models.

Lookin forward to the rest of your stuff seeing the forum, and facing them on the table again!... eventually.

• 1 month later...

I hadn’t done any Nurgle stuff for years, the Deathguard codex and all the new releases really threw my army off as a lot of it disappeared from the Chaos Legions release to Deathguard codex.

But recently I’d made a Nurgle Ork for my Orks. Pandoras bitz box has given me one of his possessed (the plague child) to paint and I saw the cinematic trailer for Inquisitor Martyr the computer game. It was a perfect storm to plunge me right back into the depths of Nurgle’s garden.

The trailer is here for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet...

I thought the Nurgle Helbrute that turns up is a great design (although strangely squared jawed and handsome?!). So I IMMEDIATELY wanted to make him.

I haven’t got far so far...

c7474fbb-eda8-4db0-ac1a-510475243072.jpe

There aren’t any stills to work from but I did find an in game shot...

86dc93b1-8e88-4013-9fcb-e8988c61f4bb.png

This one has a plague hulk cannon. I’m going to stick with the assault cannon look for mine. I thought the hades Autocannon might work but I think it’s way too big...

a5035e56-9569-4b17-8c9b-b03d5ac83275.jpe

I’ll play around with some other options and see how I do. I had an unbuilt maggoth Lord and looking at the kit it has a ton of spare thorns that would be perfect. But I didn’t know which parts would be the spares!

So I put it together. It’s 100% a rip off of Morback’s conversion on Le Blog de Kouzes. I’d been meaning to do it for years but the removal of Maulerfiends from the codex took some of the fun away.

947afb15-0256-4bba-b73b-7fec2c6bd388.jpe

So now I have loads of spare thorns to really go to town on the Helbrute...but I also have basically a spare maulerfiend/forgefiend. A ton of parts from the maggoth Lord and a Calth Contemptor which may be donating its assault cannon.

So a ton of more Nurgle stuff I want to do! At least a forgefiend and a Nurgle Comtemptor after the Helbrute.

Anyone else done the Morback Maulerfiend? What did you do with all the spares?

Uhm this is someb of the best stuff I've seen here. I love the fly lords wings and wonder what you made them from.

Also what technique for those amazing black eyes?

Again this is awesome and I'd love to battle these guys! The discharge and hammered metal of the drone is also amazing.

I love that you have gone from doing zero hobby to dipping your toe in the water with a couple of small models, to 3 simultanious conversions of Dreadnought size in a matter of weeks XD

I remember when you were disappointed about the changes (removals) from the Deathguard codex, but I think you are just going to have to take a leaf out of my Tzeentch book on this one and embrace change...  Seriously, I mean the Same thing happened with my Thousand Sons, it basically cut my army in half.  A friend has offered me a game next month and while writing up a list I was coming to the realisation that I probably need the CSM codex to run a Tzeentch Chaos army that I can ally with my Thousand Sons.  I'm quite heavily committed to a bunch of ideas and conversions that are exclusive to the CSMs so ebaying half of my army isn't really an option (as if I would ebay any of my models without a very convincing reason.

There's tons of fun nurgle conversion (convurgle?) potential in loads of the models you don't have in your Deathguard anymore so I'm really glad you are back on the horse/beast of nurgle.

@ brother_b

Thank you, appreciated.

The scratch built wings are made from plastic take away containers. The particular container I had, had an opaque part to the lid. I cut the opaque part into a wing shape, scored lines down it and folded it a bit to try to make it slighlty less 2D and give it some shape and realism. I painted in the veins and used ink for a bit of weathering, also drilled some holes in it, classic 'nurgling up'. The spawn set has tiny wing growth parts in it, I used these to attach it to the model, with some green stuff.

The black eyes are actually the easist way of painting eyes IMO. Paint the whole eye completely black then get a pot of gloss and paint this over the top. Done. The photo might be making it look like more than it is. The citadel gloss paint pot i think has been renamed so check with the store guy that it's gloss, a matt coat with do nothing!

@ Pandorasbitzbox

Yes I'm back hobbying so that's fun. I will be embracing change. Haven't really touched the new Deathguard models. They almost made them too good in a funny way. They are very elaborate and are in dynamic poses already, and generally mono pose too. So it's like 'great those are amazing, ok what am i here for just stick em together and paint them'. But I just need to have a good look at them and convert away like always.

So currently potentially doing:

Helbrute

Maulerfiend

Forgefiend

Contemptor

Or more realistically doing it until I have an Ork or Space Wolves idea that needs to be done NOW!

Here's small progress on Helbrute...

757eefa8-8bb4-415a-aa0a-8b9ffb64bd4d.jpe

Think I will go with the contemptor Keheres assault cannon as a base for the gun.

The one it's based on seems to be a mix of Dark Vengeance Helbrute and the seperate boxed one I'm using. He has those stomach muscles so it's either green stuff or if I'm lucky the daemon prince torso i have lying around will fit once it's cut down.

Also plan on opening up the head mouth bits and make it a clear two sets of openings. So a ton of green stuff to come by the looks of things.

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this party! Everything in here is exquisitely Nurgle-ized! The helbrute and that maulerfiend are balls to the wall!

Excited to see what you do for a contemptor and the forgefiend.

Thanks Hushrong that’s amazing to hear.

Although I can’t take any credit for the Maulerfiend. It’s entirely based on this one...
http://leskouzes.blogspot.com/2014/12/maulerfiend-plaguebone.html?m=1

It’s such a good idea it almost feels like the official kit. The guy went on to sculpt a lot of the new Deathguard models since making this so that makes sense.

I should do some alterations I think. Somehow not just make it worse though. I had wanted to do it way before I started posting on here.

I’ve finished the model step of the Helbrute too. That could have gone on and on, I kept adding to it...

513920e6-e7f8-49a3-99f0-ae4a0197fead.jpe

EDIT - reposted pic as it turned up blurry on entry to B&C

He’s looking good. I love all the additions as it really adds some badass detail without being overboard. I also love the nurglings. Saw the one going for a ride and I didn’t even notice the ones carrying the belt fed ammo.

@ Hushrong

It did feel a little overboard as i was making it but I hope it's still within acceptable Nurgle parameters. The gun size is pushing the boundaries a bit but I'm gonna leave it now I think. The Nurgling's help to add a bit of humour to an otherwise pretty humourless beast. I'm happy with those little guys.

@ Pandorasbitzbox

Great idea, I'll knock up a few and have a play around before risking this guy.

I think you found a great place for everything. The gun looks bulky enough that a walker like that should be carrying it and would have minimal problem spooling up and spitting lead. What I love about the spiny growths is they look properly organic on a war machine that has been fused with its occupant and daemonic elements.

I may have missed it but how are you going to paint him up? I remember reading you were going to start generation #5 of your Death Guard with the Dark Imperium goodies. Wondering if you are going to change up their paint scheme too.

That is a good question...

I haven't decided. Maybe it's the amount of time inbetween(other armies, RL) but by the time I come around to do the Nurgle stuff again I've got new ideas how to paint them. So each unit ends up differently. It can be a bit frustrating for me that I haven't found a recipe I'll stick with too much. But in terms of all the diseases available to Grand Father Nurgle it isn't too bad from an army point of view in terms of fluff excuses.

There are a bunch of paint schemes I like by:

Morback

Thirdeye Nuke

and since I've been on here

Dusk Raider

Augustus B'Raas

But I can't just steal so who knows, I'm sure I will be repeating things I've done before. I've done plenty of horns which is a good thing (although in different styles!).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived