Penitent Engines can do whaaat!?

I was playing a game against the Salamanders, and using three Penitent Engines, when the other player pointed out I was using the PEs wrong. I was rolling 1d6 for the heavy flamers, but he pointed out that the PEs actually have TWO heavy flamers. I should have been rolling 2d6 for number of hits. I've been doing this wrong since I started playing 40k last year. I trust that he is correct since he has been playing for many years and many editions. Has anyone else been doing like I did, and only rolling one die for number of hits? Penitent Engines just got much better for me!

It's got 2 heavy flamers, so yeah, 2d6.

Are you also rolling for Desperate for Redemption for those sweet, sweet extra fight phases?

Whether they're liquidating heretics or dying from shooting to keep your Sisters alive, PEs do good work.

I've been doing the extra melee attacks on the 4+, but was totally cheating myself out of the second d6 of heretic purging blessed Promethium. I won't be forgetting that again.

Absolutely, Montford! PEs are so good, I just wish they could get the 6+ Shield of Faith save. That would really be a game changer for us.

Mossback that would be excellent indeed! If the situation allows I like to keep Celestine within six inches to grant them the save, but mostly Celestine is elsewhere.

Penitent Engines are amazeballs! Great looks great rules. Just a shame theyve such a detrimental special rule.

Made of wet paper: if your opponent declares a shooting attack against this unit, immediately remove it from play.

Not being able to claim cover from tailing behind rhinos hurts. My experience is they get shot off the board top of turn 1. Too expensive a bullet magnet.

But yeah, get them where they need to be by some miracle and they bring the pain.

My opponents have yet to focus them for some reason... I usually throw them behind the biggest piece of LOS terrain I can find, which screens them from many shooting optIons, but not all.

I think move + adv + flame immolators shoulder most of the respect and get shot at instead. Last game, I fielded a double call and avenger flier wing (plus 2 Immos and 2 penitents) and the fliers got th heavy dose of enemy antitank. (He had 2 obliterators squads, and 5 lascannons / 2 autocannons scattered about). If those things paused to glance at the penitent engine it would have collapsed and yet... they didn’t.

That's a good idea for a Strategum, and one I hope to see in the Codex. Or a Strategum which grants them a 4+ Invulnerable Save for one Turn.

A Stratagem to allow them to have the Acts of Faith ability for one turn would be very handy too.

It doesn't seem worth it to pay CP to roll a die to see if it can do something. Maybe a stratagem to make Desperate for Redemption go off automatically?

My problem with penitent engines is that they can't ever seem to get to combat.

Giving them a 6++ or a faster move speed would help... I imagine SoB will get strategems to help, but I have to wonder if Church units will get any.

They really deserve at least a Shield of Faith save. I can see not getting the Acts of Faith, but I agree even getting into the fight can be tough.

I want an ability or strategies that allows them to fire their heavy flamers in melee, but they would take a mortal wound.

I also wish their flamers were assault, or counted as such. I took 4 to a tourney and realized I couldn’t fire them after advancing. They still did amazing. Every game they wracked up kills. I guess people didn’t really know what they did or under estimated.

Pengines are just too slow for what they want to do. They're priced according to what they are capable of doing of they get into combat. Problem is they dont get into combat. Not since they lost their speed boost. Only tome they make it on now is when an opponent has no odea what they can do.

I think theyve been looked at and mentalised as a cut down dreadnaught. Slow and purposeful. Useless for its weapon loadout.

Now if it has the scout sentinel movement, then itd be in much better shape. It doesnt have all the extra armour a hulking dreadnough has to lug around and a 9" move would go a long way to help the Lengine especially in an army that is really going to be moving 12+d6" on average.

I dont think the Pengine needs to survive better, i think its survivability fits the look of the model- scary but vulnerable.

It needs to MOVE! The pilot is supposed to be in a psychotic frenzy tearing across the battlefield. Not taking the leisurely sunday stroll it does currently.

That be a bit complicated for the cut down rules 8th is going for. Probably easier if it were like a monstrous creature going down.

Ie; roll a d6 when a Pengine loses its last wound. On a 6 it deals d3 mortal wounds to units its in combat with.

• 2 weeks later...
Im just not a fan of invo saves on pengines. It just doesnt feel right to me. A feel no pain save on the other hand, that i can get on board with.

I would settle for a point reduction. They are supposed to suffer and then be granted a glorious martyrdom. If they get too durable or too fast it just won´t fit my vision of the suffering and faith they bring to the battlefield. Giving them a decent point reduction is what gets my vote.

Edit: And stratagems that lets them fire heavy flamers and charing after advancing.... (asking for it all, will settle for half)

Archived