MBA++Blood Angels 5th Company - into the Leviathan's maw

Majkhel

Yeah, in proper PA, maybe Cawl forgot that in the Primaris armours.

Actually I think there may be motion predictors and things in the sensor suite too, allowing them to shoot where the xenos will be, not where they are. But that's not for this thread.

These guys are looking good. I've just made some Incursors myself and actually really like the look of them, though I prefer the bare heads with visors.

On a painting and modelling level, I find it amusing that Incursors have so many devices to represent their Multi-Spectrum Array in addition to the targeter of their Occulus bolters. However I'm glad that rules are actually reflected on the models. And imagine how hilariously cool they would look if John Blanche would get a swing at them! :D

I went for helmets, because those help me keep the feel of Space Marines in environmentally sealed Power Armour. I generally use helmets for all the tactical and real battlefield purposes and go for bare heads only rarely. I have contemplated an idea of criss-crossing both types of heads to create a helmet with additional external visor  -chop off the top of each head and attach the Infiltrator helmet's top over Incursor's half mask. Provided my modelling skills would be up to task, it seemed to be too much work overall to make 2-3 squads this way. I might still do that on one or two guys from the upcoming squads now that I think of it again. Maybe even whole 5-man squad. For now I do not have enough spare helmets to try this out, however 'The Prophecy of the Wolf' box should make plenty of Infiltrators/Incursors bits available soon... 

On a painting and modelling level, I find it amusing that Incursors have so many devices to represent their Multi-Spectrum Array in addition to the targeter of their Occulus bolters. However I'm glad that rules are actually reflected on the models. And imagine how hilariously cool they would look if John Blanche would get a swing at them! :biggrin.:

I went for helmets, because those help me keep the feel of Space Marines in environmentally sealed Power Armour.

Yea, the bare heads kind of go against the whole 'close up, kicking in the door' vibe theyre seemingly going with. Most of my recent barehead guys have helms either on their belts or damaged on the ground.

Edited by Xenith

However I'm glad that rules are actually reflected on the models.

I found that GW are going a little bit to far with this. Especially with the last primaries units. Any antenna, small knife, eyepiece becomes an excuse to add a special rule. 

The datasheets gots fuller while the 8th edition was being positioned as a cleaned version of the rules.

However I'm glad that rules are actually reflected on the models.

I found that GW are going a little bit to far with this. Especially with the last primaries units. Any antenna, small knife, eyepiece becomes an excuse to add a special rule. 

The datasheets gots fuller while the 8th edition was being positioned as a cleaned version of the rules.

8th edition was always only positioned as cleaned version of the core rules. It was always clear that they'd be greatly extending the rules via Codexes etc.

8th edition was always only positioned as cleaned version of the core rules. It was always clear that they'd be greatly extending the rules via Codexes etc.

Sorry, I didn't express myself well. 

What I wanted to say is that the first Datasheets seemed to me simplier in the Index. 

One specific rule by unit, maybe two (more for Characters), or a specific weapon with a ability. Rarely both. 

The rest was rules given by shared equipment : Strom Shield, Jet pack etc ... Or given by common weapon : Melta, etc... 

Now for a Incusor squad you have : 

- One rule for a specific deployment

- One rule for ignoring hit roll modifiers

- One rule for Smoke grenade (ok this on could be a futur common equipment) 

- One rule for the mine 

- One specific ability for the boltgun 

- One specific ability for the knifes

In a game with more and more army's rules (codex rules, chapter's rules, doctrine rules, stratagems, ... ), they could avoid this.  

I really think they can make new cool units without given to them too many rules. 

Well yes. The Index was just an Index. Something for us to work with until we got our actual rules release. You shouldn't compare Index rules with Codex rules. Those were never supposed to last or be the final form.

Well yes. The Index was just an Index. Something for us to work with until we got our actual rules release. You shouldn't compare Index rules with Codex rules. Those were never supposed to last or be the final form.

I talked about datasheets and the datasheets didn't change between the index and the Blood Angels Codex. So I don't see why in should'nt compare these Datasheets with the Datasheets of the latest Space Marines units. 

But I recognize that I much prefer 40k with index than 40k with last codex / PA books. Maybe that might juste be the problem. 

It is definitely true that Incursors have many rules :wink:

Speaking of which, I managed to complete first squad of those:
gallery_105306_14251_542977.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_380511.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_466910.jpg

med_gallery_105306_14251_279230.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_437456.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_135071.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_269012.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_499425.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_602795.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_405666.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_43639.jpg

Those became my 5th squad and I will flesh them out to 10 at some point.

Admittedly, the filling of the bolter strap on the sarge could be better, but happy with the experience :smile.: I'm also really glad with the overall posing. Now all they need is a Haywire mine marker.

With those 5 completed, I'm now at 70 marines (not including Captains and other HQ).

C&C welcome :smile.: cheers!

Edited by Majkhel

Thanks guys! :smile.:

@Xenith - do not abandon the Flesh Tearers yet! They are also red after all. It's just a matter of defining your 'red' for them :smile.:
I'll try to rekindle your spirit by asking have you seen Mortarion's take on the Incursors (and FT in general)? What I really like in his approach is that he highlights their armour with rich reds, rather than mixing in whites and pinks.

This fellow here also has some infernal vibe into him:

dbd1bb30b9c49cb8ae76fa4598ccb24e.jpg

Edited by Majkhel

Finishing off the squad with a Haywire mine marker:
gallery_105306_14251_1686468.jpg

med_gallery_105306_14251_480642.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_892744.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_110404.jpg

I've spent quite some time pondering on the colour I want to paint the mine with. Finally I've decided that I will just make each marker in a different colour :tongue.: I have two more of those.
So this one is red, but I'm not entirely happy with the outcome. I couldn't quite decide if I wanted to highlight with yellows or whites and so came out somwhere in between. As a last minute idea, I added the yellow countdown numerals on the small screen. I'm not sure If I would be able to paint anything more complicated the current "17" (or "11", not sure myself :tongue.:).

The fact that I worked on an already fully glued piece did not help with reaching into the recessed area, so I heartily recommend painting the core separately before glueing it into place. Because of this, most of the glow effect is drybrush.

With next ones I want to try yellow and then either green, blue or violet/pink.

Cheers! :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

I've comitted such a cross-over:

Incursor's mask and top from an Intercessor helmet

Obviously some finishing touches needed to blend the two pieces together.

What do you guys think?

I love it! I 'm all in for sensible-hammer, you got to have a proper helmet!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your kind words :)

Could you just sand the texture down on the mohawks and paint them red? Jokes aside, neat conversion!

It did crossed my mind :P Definitely easier.

In my mind, using of a helmet top was supposed to add more mass and increase the 'helmet feel'. After your comment I put the 3 heads together (a mohawk with visor, the converted helmet and a proper Infiltrator helmet with added scope) to see how they compare to one another and guess what - they are all the practically same height!

med_gallery_105306_14251_372068.jpg

In fact the Infiltrator helmet is actually half a milimeter shorter than the other two that are exactly 7mm from the base (chin) of the head to the top (not counting necks)

While my fun conversion does look more streamlined with other helmets, if all are painted red I don't think anyone would actually notice any difference on the table unless pointed.

So sanding the mohawk is a valid and definitely easier option.

I will make another helmet with visor conversion, but I think that's it. The conversion while fun, is a bit too laborious for me to perform on a whole squad.

they are all the practically same height!

That's what I mean. GW has an issue where bare heads are the same size as helmets. I mean, look at a sanguard death mask, and then the bare heads for them. I think only the Mk4 tactical squad bare heads are appropriately scaled for power armour. 

On the other hand, a universe where magical forcefields exist kind of negates the need for physical armour. I dont know why a vanguard veteran with a storm shield wears power armour at all. 

I dont know why a vanguard veteran with a storm shield wears power armour at all. 

Because the power armour does a lot more than just protect its wearer from physical injuries and a shield doesn't give you protection all over the body.

Continuing with clearing my backlog of partly-painted models, the time came for my JP Librarian:
med_gallery_105306_14251_28110.jpg

I kit-bashed him some time before the 8th edition arrived and he was in the above state since then. Took part in one or two games, but then got replaced by Mephy and got a bit forgotten.

Here is his finally complete form:
med_gallery_105306_14251_315036.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_380500.jpg

med_gallery_105306_14251_196126.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_354813.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_208329.jpg

Nothing too fancy - the robe remained basically untouched, but armour needed more attention. I don't really like glazing blue colours and still search for ways to avoid the 'electric' look. Original 25mm base got extended to 32mm with a MDF circle and some PVA terrain build-up. I could have probably worked a bit more on the Jum Pack's gems, but I got exhausted by that blue :P

Cheers!