MBA++Blood Angels 5th Company - into the Leviathan's maw

Majkhel

Thanks guys! 

Steal away, Xenith :D

Could never do that to a metal model :ohmy.: but it's looking pretty cool.

Believe me I did it with a VERY heavy heart. If I had a fincast, I wouldn't spare a second thought. The thing is, that metal model was really clogged in paint in some places and sadly there were hardly any chances that I would ever get to painting him.

Edited by Majkhel

Final (I think) version of true-scale Corbulo:
gallery_105306_14251_325091.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality of my phone with poor lighting.

Magnetized backpack if I want to run him as a more common Sanguinary Priest with JP

gallery_105306_14251_1060898.jpg

I'm really happy with how he turn out.
Added more tubes to the canisters on his front mainly because one of the previous ones broke during attachment. You can never have enough tubes and cables in 40k. Same as with purity seals. I dread the moment when it comes to painting them though... :wink:
After some failed attempts at finding a proper sword I chose the most plain one with a spiked guard and recreated the original Haevens Teeth with added blood drop and a tassel on the hilt.

Hope you like him at least half as much as I do :smile.:
Cheers!

EDIT: One thing still bothers me - the lack of a helmet :P
There is no place for it on the mini. I could add one thrown on the ground.
I'm also contemplating magnetizing the head to switch between helmeted SP and unhelmeted Corbulo...

Edited by Majkhel

Could never do that to a metal model :ohmy.: but it's looking pretty cool.

Believe me I did it with a VERY heavy heart. If I had a fincast, I wouldn't spare a second thought. The thing is, that metal model was really clogged in paint in some places and sadly there were hardly any chances that I would ever get to painting him.

Heh, weirdly I got 2 headless corbulos in a BA job lot on ebay a while back and hung onto them for some reason...now the wait has paid off. 

Thank you very much for comments guys! It brings a lot to my motivation tank :)

Slowly, but surely I'm grinding through the contents of the Indomitus box. The time has come for the Outriders and the sergeant leading them:
med_gallery_105306_14251_555221.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_115875.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_481615.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_366822.jpg
Squad designation to be decided.
A fairly quick paintjob for my standards with only minimal edge highlights. These will be picked up stronger at a later time.

In terms of tweaks and changes: the head obviously. It's one of those I have made after Incursors got helmets so it's an Incursor head with Infiltrator antenna. Wings are from the Ravenwing Upgrade Sprue (clipped from front shields) as is the small canister and rolled cloth added to the left rear. Definitely not that much space on those bikes for adding stuff despite them being that much bigger. Fairly simple, but I wanted to start painitng as soon as possible.
His squad mates already got their own wings attached as well for additional unit coherency looks.
Lastly I found this lovely old skull among my decals and just couldn't resist adding it :D

I also have some of those hussars' style Ravenwing wings, but I'm keeping them for now. Perhaps for some bike characters? I will still probably need to tweak them a bit to make them more BA and less DA.

Cheers! :)

Thank you kindly! :)
The red drop outline came out as a solution on how to show a 5th Company badge (black blood drop) on a sergeant, who codex-wise should also be denoted by black pauldrons. 

I guess another possibility would be to paint the black pauldron not-black with greys and whites - to suggest black rather than actually paint it. On such field a pure black drop would also be visible.

Finished the last Outrider and thus a complete squad is ready. Planning to designate it Squad 7 in the Company structure (now 86 marines)
med_gallery_105306_14251_52251.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_1659985.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_92468.jpg
I've recently found old Bretonnia knights decals as you see :P
For this box at the rear I had to remove the rail and file the box itself a bit to make it fit under the marines backpack. The rolled cloth is actually hanging in the air over the tyre, but it's not that obvious and I'm glad with being able to add an extra bit of equipment.

Here is the complete squad:
gallery_105306_14251_974000.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_912306.jpg

I also started looking at the Bladeguard and pre-assembled them to look for easy posing opportunities first. Nothing interesting to show so far. But I did start working on the Judiciar after stumbling upon an very interesting fluff piece in the DoB.

Description of the Custodian of the Damned

I figured it would make a lovely theme for building a Judiciar-equivalent :)

So far I removed the hanging sleeve and added right pauldron. had to cut the arm just above the quillons' line. After that it was fairly simple to reposition the arm to accomodate for the bulk of the pauldron. The arm itself is slightly off it's original alignement, but when I added the front section it it's almost totally invisible. The blade rests on the pauldron now instead of the backpack, which is also much more natural for a balanced blade.

med_gallery_105306_14251_535775.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_556444.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_197071.jpg

Sword got a sharp tip both to match the chosen theme and to distance it from the original executioner's blade fluff.
I really do not like the initial nonense of a Judiciar executing marines. It's stupid enough in a vanilla chapter's setting and with Blood Angels it gets all the more layers of improbability if you factor in things like the innate compassion of the line of Sanguinius, the fact that BA are a dwindling chapter, Dante himself, etc.

Still a very early WIP, but basic idea is already forming in my head. We'll see where it will take me :) I think I will need to resculpt the damaged belt buckle (previously partly covered by cloth) and then probably create the other half of the surplice.

Cheers!

Chugging away Indomitus Troops options - another 5 Assault Intercessors to fill out 7th squad.
3 ready, with 2 more basecoated.
med_gallery_105306_14251_907438.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_1199028.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_1727926.jpg

With those I made more arms, heads and pauldrons swaps. No GS work, just the most simple swaps as these are still only troops, but those will still give me nice variety across the squad.

Bladeguard are built:

gallery_105306_14251_705806.jpg

Again, keping the changes simple - sword arms and head swaps and playing to the 'veteran' theme as much as possible (hence the laurels). Also managed to move one of the big holsters to the back - yay!
For the next bunch I might add in some more weapon options (axes maybe?). I also contemplate removal of the some of the halos or exchanging/mixing them with the BA Terminators decorations if I can find them.

With the Judiciar I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

med_gallery_105306_14251_258476.jpg

Not sure what i want to do with his left arm. I'm leaning towards simply giving him a bolter for a classic firing-while-walking pose.
Also gathering courage to start working on sculpting his robes when I have some more time.

Cheers! :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

I would rebuild the belt area leaving the tunic as is. For the left arm I would use the one from the Primaris Lieutenant with power sword model or a reiver left arm pulling a knife from its sheath crossbody. Lastly I would put on a suitable death mask from the Sanguinary Guard kit.

I read the description from the story and saw the Custodian of the Damned as half Emperor’s Champion and half Guardian of the Lost.

Just my two Imperial credits.

Hey CH, thanks for feedback! Nice ideas I will definitely think about.

I wanted to avoid a SG deathmask as it's a bit obvious choice. I see the Custodian similarly, but leaning a bit more towards EC than Chaplain. Especially as it's mentioned that the occupants of the Tower of Amareo would take no guidance and during battle were directed by blocking certain paths and opening another routes.

Cheers!

I have finally completed last 2 Assault Intercessors
med_gallery_105306_14251_202804.jpg

And here is complete squad 6
gallery_105306_14251_1240394.jpg

Just in time for news of the new weapon options. I magnetized sergeant's right wrist but might need to magnetize whole left arm as well at one point to allow usage of a Thunder Hammer.
I have space for 9 more marines in the company. That might be 3 more Outriders and 5 Heavy Intercessors perhaps?

Cheers! :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

Final (I think) version of true-scale Corbulo:

gallery_105306_14251_325091.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality of my phone with poor lighting.

Magnetized backpack if I want to run him as a more common Sanguinary Priest with JP

gallery_105306_14251_1060898.jpg

I'm really happy with how he turn out.

Added more tubes to the canisters on his front mainly because one of the previous ones broke during attachment. You can never have enough tubes and cables in 40k. Same as with purity seals. I dread the moment when it comes to painting them though... :wink:

After some failed attempts at finding a proper sword I chose the most plain one with a spiked guard and recreated the original Haevens Teeth with added blood drop and a tassel on the hilt.

Hope you like him at least half as much as I do :smile.:

Cheers!

EDIT: One thing still bothers me - the lack of a helmet :tongue.:

There is no place for it on the mini. I could add one thrown on the ground.

I'm also contemplating magnetizing the head to switch between helmeted SP and unhelmeted Corbulo...

Wowowowowow!!!!

I love this guy!

Thanks OP! :)
I admit I'm proud of it. I've seen people add those wings on the front wheel and wanted to do something else. I also have plans for using the signature Ravenwing hussar-style wings with a little BA twist, but I reserve those for the character bikes (really hoping for Primaris Librarian on bike apart from the already pre-viewed Chaplain).

• 2 weeks later...

Finished building count-as-Judiciar Custodian of the Damned

med_gallery_105306_14251_1296933.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_1109339.jpg0med_gallery_105306_14251_918947.jpg
This is my first ever attempt at working with GS. It went pretty good overall. I used a little bit too much of it, but it's not that visible.

The pointing finger hand is build from 3 seperate arms... Apparently I enjoy making my life harder for myself :tongue.:
I used one of the DC pauldrons I rarely use (it hardly fits with Jump Packs). I plan to free-hand the Tower of Amareo on it. Or at least a tower.

Hobby time has been scarce lately, but I'm super-happy I built him and might just start painting him right away.

Cheers!

Edited by Majkhel

"Custodian of the Damned" is a good title, but considering he's meant for a Blood Angels army, shouldn't the title be "Custodian of the Dead" (for the Death Company) or "of the Lost" (a reference to Astorath's title "Redeemer of the Lost")?

Anyways, good job on customizing the model. I appreciate the fact his sword has a point, unlike the vanilla Judiciar model's executioner's sword (which is near-useless against armor, due to the lack of a point).