The role of Seraphim

So I'm trying to decide what role Seraphim will have in my force. I'm planning on having some dedicated anti-infantry in the form of HB squads, and some 4-melta squads riding in rhinos / immolators for tank hunting. Now I'm uncertain which role the seraphim should fill - is it better to go with twin hand flamers in a 5-man unit and mop up infantry, or melta pistols for more tank / monster hunting?

Because of the 9 inch deepstrike distance I don't use melta Seraphim anymore. I used to gamble hard on DSing close to armour, but now I go with a 10 woman x2 dual handflamer squad for anti-infantry and objective clearing.

EDIT: to elaborate, I use HB Rets as a static base of fire, and my Seraphim are either a reactive blocking force or going into my opponent's backfield to harass objective campers.

If they are running near Celestine, a ten strong melta group is really, really good, with their 5++/5++ surprisingly tanky, and they make for a good first turn rush unit. Otherwise, I use them as fast objective grabbers but don't use deepstrike, relying on their natural 12" move or the ability to AoF them 24"

I think the roles don't really change, but it's only a matter of staying power given by additional bodies that makes 10 more desirable than 5. Two teams of 5 gives you theoretically twice the special weapons, but I don't find teams of 5 to survive shooting long enough to make good with tbe specials, but would rather use an AoF for double shooting.

I think 5 man squads would run without upgrades if you are going to bother (or maybe 1 double melta sister), and just get used to tie things up.  I find Seraphim to work better in large squads with double melta, to run up with Celestine and tie up tanks in close combat, and then shoot those tanks with their guns.  Hand flamers are just meh at killing things and there are so many other better anti-infantry options in the army.

With their mobility, i like to use them as light tank hunters and other big scary hunters. Otherwise, they make for a great hit squad for taking out characters. 24" move can usually bypass any blockers and then 4melta pistol, a plasma pistol on overcharge and a krak grenade make short work of anything important.

I run 2x 5 girl squads with 2x paired inferno pistols, chainsword/bolt pistol on the superior.

One squad starts on the board (always out of LOS) one squad starts in deepstrike. Turn 1 they check to see who is in the danger zone (12" +12" +6" inferno pistol range) and either jump forward to attack it or bounce ahead out of LOS or into cover. Second squad drops in to where the first was.

The inferno pistols are excellent against vehicles, characters or multiple wound monsters. The 5 girl size is excellent for being able to hide out of LOS. They are surprisingly tanky near Celestine, and multiple times I've had them pile into a melee with Celestine to use the 5++ reroll, eat power weapon attacks then AoF on my turn to inferno pistol something point blank.

They overlap slightly with melta dominions in the tank hunting roll, however they also work as a utility unit. Only two models carry the important weapons, so unlike doms, they're still pumping out multiple shots even when down to 2 models.

They are faith hungry though, so expect to be spending your AoF's on them every round to make them really shine.

I run 8 - 10 model squads, and two Squads per Army at 2K points. They ALWAYS feature two Sisters with Inferno Pistols. The Squad Superior has a Plasma Pistol. I very rarely deepstrike them: I find it far more efficient to move them where I need them with Acts of Faith. They work on Characters, vehicles, Primaris Squads of 5 models, just about everything except large hordes, or 10 model squads of normal or primaris Marines, and Bikes.

Indeed, probably best to run 3 units with inferno pistols. Plasma if you've got the points. Other than that, maybe bump up the squad size on one unit to meat shield for Big C. Options on some imagifiers to catapult them forwards turn 1 to exploit the fact that have zero reliance on deepstrike and the changes indirectly inflate the value of our mobility. 

Archived