Creating the Codex: Black Templars (8th)

Hi!

Last months GW released Dark Angels and Blood Angels codex, and now DeathWatch will be released in 2 weeks, so we have enough stuff for working in a proposal about a new Black Templars codex.

Reading C:SM, C:DA, C:BA, we can easily note that they are C&P and only modifiying few things in background. Even comparing C:CSM and C:SM we are going to find that structure.

So, the objetive of this post is create a realistic proyect based in real codexes, so it will be easily done, the basement of this work will be:

• Recycling: Most adjustments should be taken from real codex/index, not invented.
  • Zero invest: Trying not to create unique units that requires new products or additional fluff (Thunderwolf cavalry,  unique flyers/vehicles, etc.)
  • Fluff approach: Trying to bring some old fluff ideas to the 8th edition fluff, we should accept 8th Ed fluff is canon and the way GW is going to advance.

So I think, making a Black Templar codex is easy and cheap. Most background is written in C:SM and the old BT's codex.

Vows and Chapter Tactic

Every BT player loses his/her head when talking about them. We have two easy options for implementing them:

1. Acts of Faith (SoB)
  2. Stratagems (SM, BA, DA)
  3. Warlord Traits

I think the best option is copying the other chapters' codex and simply do it via Stratagems, not mixing mechanics (SM+SoB).

Our actual CT is not the best but not bad. So we could keep it and solving other problems in the units or stratagems.

As the old Vows couldn't be taken at the same time, one alternative is implementing them as Warlord Traits.

UNITS

HQ

Named Characters: ATM we have 3 Named Characters (Helbrecht, Grimaldus and Emperor's Champion).

Other chapters have:

• Blood Angels 8 (2 Tycho, not counting Seth)
  • Dark Angels 6 (2 Sammael)
  • Space Wolves 12-13 (some are different versions of the same character, so cancelling each other) 
  • Ultramarines 6+Primarch

So… maybe asking for 5-6 is not too much. We have 3, so we could ask for 1 or 2 more.

What characters do you propose? Maybe recovering an old character or from the new fluff.

• Castellan Draco
  • Chaplain Initiate Cyneric (Helsreach Novel)
  • Marshal/EC Marius Amalrich (Fall of Cadia, Rise of the Primarch)
  •  

Castellan Draco v1

I designed this profile comparing his profile (WD313US) with the Castellan’s one in (Codex: Black Templars), and then accepting Castellan = Lieutenant in 8thED. So this profile is based in the Lieutenant with some extras from their personal wargear. It requieres some licenses, in older editions models must pay for being armed with grenades, but now they are free.

His original wargear were:

• Boltgun, Master-crafted Power Sword and Frag grenades. Artificier armour (2+) and Bionics (FNP6+).

So I have given him a Little buff, because normal Lieutenant has Master-crafted boltgun, bolt pistol, frag&krak grenades.

Old Rites of Battle from Draco and Castellans are now the Tactical Precision rule, so instead of inventing an aura, I prefer doing only “minor” changes.

So Draco is going to be an upgraded Lieutenant, little bit better than Lieutenant and worse than EC in melee, so I suppose the best is trying to keep his points as close as possible to EC’s cost.

[HQ] Castellan Draco

M6” WS2+ BS3+ S4 T4 A4 W3 LD8 Sv2+

Castellan Draco is a single model armed with the Vinculus’ power sword, a master-crafted boltgun, a bolt pistol, frag grenades and krak grenades. Only one of this model may be included in your army.

Vinculus‘ power sword-> Master-crafted power sword

ABILITIES

• ATSKNF
  • Rites of Battle: You can re-roll wound rolls of 1 for friendly BLACK TEMPLARS units that are within 6" of Castellan Draco.
  • Bionics: Roll a dice each time Castellan Draco loses a wound. On a 6, the damage is ignored and the model does not lose a wound.

FACTION KEYWORDS IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS ASTARTES, BLACK TEMPLARS

KEYWORDS CHARACTER, INFANTRY, CASTELLAN, CASTELLAN DRACO

So a Lieutenant with master-crafted sword and master-crafted boltgun will be 73p

In this case, as a Named character, Draco can’t take Relics… so we could think he has a “relic armour” which grants sv2+ and FNP6+. So I think 75p like the EC could be a good starting point.

EC/Marshal Marius Amalrich

I need more information about him, wikis are not enough for designing a profile.

Even worse if our intention is designing 2 profiles: Marshal (when there are more BT returning to Ultramar) and EC (when he is the last standing BT).

The first version should be a Marshal (Captain) with some special rules or toys according to his person, but no information available. The second version is an EC.

Generic HQ options and their suggested changes (if any)

Another easy improvement is changing the officers names:
  • Captains => Marshals.
  • LT => Castellan. We had this unit in Codex:BT years ago! 
  • Chaplain
  • NO Librarian or Primaris Libraria, (but I suspect some Pyskers could come with the new fluff)
  • Techmarine.

TROOPS

From C:SM the BT have 4 options: Scouts, Tactical Marines, Intercessors and Crusaders.

Scouts. After being rolled into Vainilla codex, suddenly Neophytes can fight by their own forming squads. Ok. So we can accept that and go ahead or replace them with a more "templarized" unit.

When an Initiate dies, then his Neophyte becomes “orphan” and must wait to another Initiate who wants to take him as squire. But… in this period of time I suppose he must still fight, because they are an expensive resource and I think the Neophyte needs to impress or attract the attention of another Initiate... so a good alternative could be creating a squad with the "orphans" they could fight and this way the Initiates could select candidates. I called it Squires Squad.

Squires Squad

The idea is taking the Scout entry and removing the ABILITIES/OPTIONS: Combat Squads and Cammo Cloacks.

I suppose all BT should agree in this point.

Even we could remove the Concealed Position Special Rule if we don't want to infiltrate but  8th Ed fluff says they infiltrate, so maybe we could mantain that rule. If we remove it maybe a point reduction will be needed Neophyte (9p)

We don't want Neophytes fighting without supervision... so we could inspire the unit in the “Wolf Scouts” they have a modified infiltrate rule and the can purchase a Wolf Guard (Sword Brother), but we are not going to put a SB so… this unit could be leaded with an Initiate.

[TR] Squire Squad (Power Lv5)

This units contains 1 Initiate and 4 Neophytes. It can include up to 5 additional Neophytes (Power Rating +3).

Each model is armed with a boltgun, bolt pistol, frag and krak grenades.

WARGEAR OPTIONS

-A Initiate may replace his boltgun with a chainsword, power sword, power axe, power maul or power fist.

-Any Neophyte may replace his boltgun with an Astartes shotgun or a combat knife.

ABILITIES ATSKNF

KEYWORDS INFANTRY, SQUIRE SQUAD

This is a cheap squad, a good alternative for not using Imperial Guard infantry.

The problem could be that taking one squad or two are nice and even funny, but several squads could be really unfluffy and a handicap to Crusader Squads.

Crusader Squad

This unit is fantastic, but if we want to boost tide squads we need to add some for that, this is a modification of the Mob Rule and Green Tide (Orks, Index Xenos 1) 

-The Zealots: A unit with this ability can use the number of models in their unit as their Leadership characteristic. If this unit includes 10 or more models, add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of each model in the unit.

Or even only the +1A part, because we could use the Ancients or other heroes for morale purposes. So no need to give many buffs. But that is a easy way to improve the Tide and not unbalancing the MSU crusader squads.

The effects could be restricted only to Initiates and SB, if people think Neophyte shouldn't benefit, but I think that if the master is full of rage, the pupil will also fall in that rage.

Tactical Squad. This entry could be removed. Noone is going to miss them.

Intercessor Squads

Primaris are a fact. Some players will avoid them, but the idea is not excluding actual products, because they are the future, and we should accept that.

We have some options with them:

1. Keeping them as Intercessor Squads
  2. Creating a Primaris Crusader Squad
  3. Creating a Primaris and Old-marines Crusader Squad

The fist option is easy, C&P from all codexes, but maybe too much codex compilant, so we could create a Primaris Crusader Squad similar to the DeathWatch.

Primaris Crusader Squad: 5 minis minimun. Up to 1-2 could take hellblaster equipment. Maybe in a future when Primaris learn to use powerfists and other power weapons, the "sargeant" and one Intercessor could be equipped with them as a Primaris version of our Crusader Squad.

Primaris and Old-marines: I think this squad will be a mess... with intercessors, initiates, neophytes, hellblasters... Make it simple!

ELITE

All veterans and terminators could change their names to “Sword Brethern” similar to Space Wolves’ Wolf Guard. Zero cost.

DURANDAL DREADNOUGHT v1

Original idea: Christian Valentin. White Dwarf 141 (FR?)

The life of a Black Templar does not end once his mortal remains have become unable to fight. It continues in a sacred sarcophagus within a Dreadnought. His martial qualities are intact, the equipment offered by the Durandal combat variant allows him to prove it. This is how he remains at the heart of the battle, with his Battle-Brothers, destroying the enemies using his two fists.

In the original idea, the basic Durandal Dread could be upgraded to Venerable. I compared the profile and cost of Dreadnought and Venerable Dreadnought and I think the Venerable worth its cost.

If you want to upgrade to “Venerable” it is only needed to change the stats (WS2+ BS2+) and add the “Unyielding Ancient” rule and the keyword “Venerable”.

[EL] Durandal Dreadnought

M8" WS3+ BS3+ S6 T7 W8 A4 LD8 Sv3+

A Durandal Dreadnought is a single model equipped with two Blood Talons, a storm bolter and a meltagun.

WARGEAR OPTIONS

• This model may replace its storm bolter and/or its meltagun with a heavy flammer.

ABILITIES

• Explodes:
  • Smoke Launchers:

FACTION KEYWORDS IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS ASTARTES, BLACK TEMPLARS

KEYWORDS VEHICLE, DREADNOUGHT, DURANDAL DREADNOUGHT

Sources:

http://www.thargannis.com/forumBT/viewtopic.php?t=1017&sid=f06f1667aaff5be867c07e1b8c909906

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/220639-dreadnought-ccw/

I think the profile lacks of flexibility, maybe not enough options.

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squads

In codex Armageddon (2000), any model could replace his bolt pistol with a Stormshield. Maybe this must be reserved to Vanguard Veterans (I think this unit didn't exist in that edition), so it could be nice if they are (at least) Combat Shields.
  • Any model may replace his bolt pistol with a [xxxxx] Shield.

Scout Bike Squad and Bike Squad

We are again in the same problem, the scouts. Alternatives:
  1. Keep both units as they are
  2. Mixing them in a Crusader Bike Squad (Armageddon)
  3. Create a Squire Bike Squad (Initiate+Neophytes)

The first option is easy, codex compilant and zero invest and don not require time or effort invest.

Second option is similar to Crusader Squads.

Third option maybe is the worst, because it is a fanmade unit over a fanmade concept.

OTHER ISSUES

Primaris

Well… They are here and that is a fact. So, we can do as the other chapters keeping them separated in their normal squads (Intercessors, Reivers, Hellblasters…) or following the future DW example: Creating the Intercessor Squads, where they could be mixed. This point could be developed in few weeks when we have more information.

Intercessor+Hellblasters are simple and logical (Primaris Crusade Squad).

The main problema could come from adding or not Reivers, Inceptors and Agressors to that.

Maybe Intercessors+Hellblasters, Assault marines+Inceptors…

WARLORD TRAITS & STRATAGEMS

[WIP]

Every codex has 6 Warlord Traits, so we can develope our 6 based in the existing codexes.

WT1: (C:SM) Oathkeeper

WT2: Rites of War/Courage of the First Legion/Heroic Bearing -> Sons of Dorn

WT3: 

WT4:

WT5: 

WT6: 

Suffer Not the Unclean to Live

Uphold the Honour of the Emperor

Abhor the Witch, Destroy the Witch

Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odd

RELICS

[WIP]

Holy Orbs of Antioch

Blessed Hull

We have two ‘real’ UU not represented in our current Codex. And a two ‘UU’ option not represented in our codex. And Sword Brothern. Plus two Special Characters, that could reasonably exist. You’ve already covered these back for sake of discussion I’ll restate them.

The Two Special Characters

1) Castallen Draco

2) EC/Marshall Almerich

The Two Unique Units

1) Durandal Dreadnought (Would Replace Ironclad) (in a French White Dwarf)

2) Biker Crusaders (I would call them Conquistadors to keep in theme with Crusaders)

The two Unqiue Options;

LRC as Dedicated Transports

Storm Shields on Assault Marines

On Primaris;

I’d simply allow a Crusader Squad to take 0-5 Primaris Models (name of choice) armed with BoltRifle/HvyPistol&Chain/Carbine.

I’d allow Biker Crusaders to take 0-2 Inceptors.

Finally remove Scout and non Attack Bike Units. And ultimately I think to give our melee a bit more oompf. Keep reroll charge but add “a Black Templar Unit fighting in Melee Combat with a AP -1 or greater weapon, may attack one more time with that weapon.” A Crusader Squad will have 5! Power Weapon Attacks nothing to sniff at.

And make our various Neo’s cost a point or two less

Thanks for your answer brother.

I will work in those points for the next update:

• Datasheets for Draco and Amalrich
  • Datasheet for Durandal Dread, really interesting I didn't know that WD's article (I'm going to study other chapter's Dreads)
  • LRC as Dedicated Transport (maybe one per each Crusader Squad in the rooster)
  • Some buffs for melee

I will wait sometime before working in the Primaris+Oldmarines units, maybe when GW releases the DW codex, we could receive new ideas

What about this:

Either a special rule or stratagem that, when the victim of a psykic attack, a crusader squad can/must fire ALL weapons at the psyker who performed it, even if the model is a character, and there is a closer model. If the psyker is a character and there is a closer model, the unit suffers -1 to hit.

We never had something like, once again the BT anti pyskers rules are already in place. With our strategem. If anything, having us gain a 1d6 Deny on Crusader Squads is most we can expect (which is it what I’d like tbh).

Through let’s get to the basics and let us ignore Pimaris for now.

We have three unique units not currently represented in codex.

-Crusader Bike Squads

-Durandal Dreadnought

-Sword Brothern

1) Durandal can be represented using Ironclads

2) Sword Brothern are best represented with Company Veterans

3) Biker Crusaders cannot be. However they are easily created unit wise. I have an example draft data sheet in my signature.

Let’s handle each of these units.

1) First Durandal’s, I’d advocate a simple removal of Regular Dreads not Ironclads. Durandal’s have regular Dread options except replace range weapon with dread close. So changing the data sheet name would be step 1.

What I’d also do is give the Durandal, additional types of close combat weapons. A shield perhaps. I dunno. But the main debate is Ironclad or Regular being replaced. Unless we make the argument losing scouts/tacticals/regular bikes/librarians, means we don’t need to lose another data sheet.

Ironclad or Regular? Then role in army, fire support or melee support? I think a close range fire support. And if it does replace regular give it hurricane Bolter options. As a turret or something too

2) Sword Brothern. These replace Vang/Company/Stern. We’d draw from Company Vets as a basis. The one other thing I’d have, to think about here. Is how will we make them unqiue over other veteran units. Having WS/BS 2+ could be pretty solid. Or modifying the Templar Brothern unit from Heresy. This unit if beyond a simple rename will be the most changed and interesting espacially compared to its codex incarnation

3) Biker Crusaders. Really the main question here is the following, 3-20 or 3-16? And by extension will be allow Attack Bikes in the squad or not in the squad?

The various thematic option return:

Storm Shields on Assault Marines

LRC as Dedicated per Crusader Squad

The other primary question we need to ask is looking at everything together what other rules should we think about. A basic rule, allowance in vein of the BA and Heavy Flamers is allow a unit which can take Heavies, take a Power Weapon (Fist/Ax/Sword/Maul) instead.

Second how do we solve BT and lackluster melee ability. We wanted to not be a copy of BA/WE, both are primarily first round army. And we want something to take power weapons. To this keeping our tactic of reroll charging and adding “if a BT Model fights with a “MELEE” weapon that has an AP of -1 or more, it may attack one more time with that weapon.”

First it means that their is no longer the issue of “downgrading Chain to PowSword” on 1 attack base models. And makes Power Weapons on a unit like Devies or Biker Crusaders worthwhile. As we are now throwing out with only 2-3 weapons a character worth of attack’s.

It also seperates us mechanically from WE and BA, in that they are just mass damage increase in the first round. Our increase is notably less (8-16 chain axes vs 2 Power swords) but we don’t need to charge. And we keep it after the first round. If we are in combat for 3 rounds. It’ll be better. And this keeps us something highlights our unique units and options. While not overshadowing other melee forces

Ignore this post didn’t see update happened

That make a good strategem honestly. Through to take that idea further.

“A BT Models that is slain in shooting or fight phase may on a 4+ (Banner). A BT Ancient would add +1 while Relic Ancient add +2”. That be a pretty cool rule.

But it work better as a strategem or WT

Another option is some kind of "No escape!" rule that lets BTs fight an extra round of combat as soon as someone disengages from them, but with a to-hit penalty (maybe even a flat 6+ to hit). This won't be a massive change, but the prospect of giving the Templars extra attacks might worry some people. You could then have Stratagems that increase the hit chance, making it even more dangerous to bail out of combat with a Black Templar.

Serious question Wargamer and Dark Jober What are your thoughts on what I posted? )and my Conquistador (Biker Crusader) Squad in my sig).

And like your prior suggestion back and forth if it would be better as a strategem. Sense in that case it basically be the reverse version of Aeldari one. (Also it might be too wordy to be a tactic Is my main concern)

Serious question Wargamer and Dark Jober What are your thoughts on what I posted? )and my Conquistador (Biker Crusader) Squad in my sig).

Fast Attack: Conquistador Squad. Power Lv5

Initiate Biker

Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-1 Ld-7 Sv-3+

Lance Brothers

Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-2 LD-8 Sv-3+

Neophyte Biker

Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-1 LD-6 Sv-4+

(Questor Initiate

Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-2 Ld-7 Sv-3+)

The unit contains 3 Initaite Bikers, one may be replaced by a Lance Brother. It may include up to 3 additional Initaite Bikers (Power Rating +4) or up to 5 additional Initaite Bikers (Power Rating +6) . It may include up to 2 Neophyte Bikers (Power Rating +2), or it may include up to 4 Neophyte Bikers (Power Rating +4) or up to 8 Neophyte Bikers (Power Rating +8). Each Model is armed with Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades. Each of their Space Marine Bike is equipped with a Twin Boltgun.

Options

The Lance Brother may replace his Bolt Pistol with an item from the Sergeant Weapon List.

Any Initaite Biker may replace his Bolt Pistol with a Chainsword.

Up to Two Initaite Bikers may replace their Bolt Pistols with an item from the Special Weapon List, a Power Ax, Power Fist, Power Sword or a Power Maul.

Any Neophyte Biker may replace their Bolt Pistol with a Combat Knife, or an Astartes Shotgun.

Abilities

And They Shall Know No Fear

Turbo Boost: When this unit advances, add 6 to its movement characteristic instead of rolling a dice.

Faction Keywords

Black Templars, Imperium, Adeptus Astartes

Keywords

Biker, Conquistador Squad

Points (Does not Include Wargear)

Conquistador Squad: Models Per Unit: 3-16. Points Per Model: 25 (Neophyte Bikers is 23)

Hi! I was really busy these days and I didn't receive notifications from this thread, so excuse me.

Well, I will answer to your Conquistador Squad.

I like the concept but I'm doing small changes mixing Bike Squad, Scout Bike Squad and Crusader Squad. Even comparing with Swiftclaws from SW.

I'm going to follow the line from GW in the names, but I want to advice that the Black Templars Assault Units (red trim in the shoulder pad) should receive some fluff and rules loves like the Ravenwing and the Sword Brethern should be compared with Deathwing, so I totally agree with doing a bigger difference between Sword Brother and "Lance" Brother.

So it could start a nice fluff advance splitting the organization in "houses" instead of "wings".

The Marshal's household -> Sword Brethern

? household -> Lance Brethern

Maybe Lance Brethern could be bounded with the Reclusiasm, more zealots, more fanatics, this could be the reason they are splitted... cause they are not flexible enough or they are too focused on that style.

Conquistador Squad (Fast Attack, Power Lv5)

Initiate Biker      M-14" Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-1 Ld-7 Sv-3+

Neophyte Biker M-16" Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-1 LD-6 Sv-4+

Sword Brother   M-14" Ws-3+ Bs-3+ S-4 T-5 W-2 A-2 LD-8 Sv-3+ (Lance Brother if splitted in "houses")

This unit contains 3 Initiate Bikers. It can include up to 3 additional Initiate Bikers (Power Rating +4) or up to
5 additional Initiate Bikers (Power Rating +6).  A Sword Brother can take the place of one Initiate.
It can include up to 3 additional  Neophyte Bikers (Power Rating +4) or up to 6 additional Neophyte Bikers (Power Rating +8).
  • The Initiate Bikers and the Sword Brother are each armed with a bolt pistol, frag grenades and krak grenades, and rides into battle on a Space Marine bike equipped with a twin boltgun.
  • Each Neophyte Biker is equipped with a bolt pistol, frag grenades and krak grenades, and rides into battle on a
    Neophyte bike equipped with a twin boltgun.
The main point here is that our Neophytes can't be equipped like Scouts, because they should be more compilant with their Initiate methods and they can't be better equipped than the Initiates!. We can't have the Neophytes with Bolt pistol, Shotgun and Knife when the Initiates have only bolt pistol!!! That will be crazy!
Other option is to level up all the squad to a more Crusader style, but then this unit could be stronger than other bikes squads:
  • The Initiate Bikers and the Sword Brother are each armed with a bolt pistol, a chainsword, frag grenades and krak grenades.
  • Each Neophyte Biker is equipped with a bolt pistol, an Astartes Shotgun, a combat knife, frag grenades and krak grenades.
If we are fair, we can accept that the additional equipment has zero cost in reality (chainsword, knife and shotgun). So it is an easy way to level up the unit without special rules or any strange addition.
So we get a +1A and  another faux  attack (the pistol, F4 AP- attack in the shooting phase when engaged).

• A Sword Brother may replace his bolt pistol with an item from the Sword Brethern Equipment list.
• Any Initiate may replace his bolt pistol with a chainsword.*
• One Initiate may replace his bolt pistol with an item from the Special Weapons list.
• One Initiate may replace his bolt pistol with  a power sword, power axe, power maul or power fist.
• Any Neophyte may replace his bolt pistol with an Astartes shotgun or a combat knife.*

Both * could be deleted if we use the alternative option in the previous spoiler.

If we don't want to add those modifications, we could add this rule based in Berserk Charge

Zealot Charge (v2): On a turn in which they make a successful charge, you can make 1 additional attack in the Fight phase with all Initiate and Sword Brother models in the unit.

I  replaced "all models" with "all Initiate and Sword Brother models", because SW must pay a Wolf Guard for gaining their Headstrong rule and not becoming a frenzy berserker unit.

Zealot Charge: On a turn in which they make a successful charge, you can make 1 additional attack in the Fight phase with all models in the unit. (from Index Imperium I p.161: Space Wolves, SWIFTCLAWS)

Two quick things:

1) "Conquistador" does not fit the army theme - these are Second Crusade holy warriors, not Spanish mercenaries looking for gold.

2) For the Zealot Charge, I would just tidy up the wording to say all Initiates and Sword Brethren increase their Attacks characteristic by 1 on a turn in which they make a successful charge. This is mainly to keep it in line with similar rules from GW themselves.

Two quick things:

1) "Conquistador" does not fit the army theme - these are Second Crusade holy warriors, not Spanish mercenaries looking for gold.

2) For the Zealot Charge, I would just tidy up the wording to say all Initiates and Sword Brethren increase their Attacks characteristic by 1 on a turn in which they make a successful charge. This is mainly to keep it in line with similar rules from GW themselves.

1. Yeah, I also agree Conquistador/Conquistator/Conqueror are not the best names. Maybe Crusader Knights, Lance Brethern or something similar could be better and more accurated.
  2. Ok, sometimes writting in English is a hard task for me, so excuse me hahahah

Zealot Charge: Each Initiate and Sword Brother can make 1 additional attack in the Fight phase on a turn in which they make a successful charge.

Could be that a better wording?

I was thinking "Lance Brethren" for the bike squad as well. It just feels right.

For Zealot Charge, I'd straight up copy the new Harlequins rule: "If a unit with this rule charges in the Charge phase, add 1 to their Attacks characteristic until the end of the ensuing Fight phase."

I was thinking "Lance Brethren" for the bike squad as well. It just feels right.

For Zealot Charge, I'd straight up copy the new Harlequins rule: "If a unit with this rule charges in the Charge phase, add 1 to their Attacks characteristic until the end of the ensuing Fight phase."

Okay... Lance Brethren could be the codename for the Close Support units (Red trim)

With that new wording in Zealot Charge it could be really nice Special Rule for the army... Bikers, Assault Marines, Crusader Squads...:thumbsup:

Actually Conquistador is used because, Conquistadors were “Crusaders” (God, Gold, and Glory). Through this is a weird historical debate, PM if you want to know more. More exactly I choose Conquistador, because it invokes an image of explorers and outriders. Well as a group that was merciless, and slaughtered the marine with impunity. And finally we’re motivated in part by religious meaning. (Original name was actually gonna be Gospal or Evangolist, then Apostle).

My issue with Lance Brothern, is that it sounds like an elite unit (mirroring Sword Brothern). Wargamer the reason that my zealot rule was just “If a BT Model attack’s with an -1 or greater MELEE Weapon, it may attack an additional time with that weapon” (rewritten for clarity). Was that it was supposed to be a permanent buff. And something that lasts after first round of combat. Basically emphasisjg Templar “attrition” style to a BA more Alpha. Also to make it so power weapons in on 1A models in Crusader/Assault Marines/Etc feel less bad.

• 2 weeks later...

So just thinking on this more

BT True UU Units

Crusader Squad

(Crusader Bike) Squad

Durandal

Neophyte Company Standard

Adapted UU

Assault Marines w/Shield

Sword Brothern (modified company Veterans)

So this means we have 5 total UU, special/unique ones aside. So we need to pick 4 units to lose from vanilla, based on our Codex I would say

1) Devies

2) Centurion (Both Variants)

3) Whirlwind

Additionally following redundant options removed

1) Tacticals (and Assault Marines)

2) Scout (And Scout Bikers)

3) SM Biker Squads

4) Veterans (Stern and Vang)

5) Dreadnought (And Venerable)

6) Honor Gaurd

Then add the following rules: BT Model that has access to the heavy weapon (or special weapon?) list may take an option below

-Power Sword

-Power Maul

-Power Ax

-Power Fist

The Durandal will be a regular Dreadnought that can take double dread close combat for +1 attack, instead of taking a dread ranged weapon it may take Hurricane Bolter. Our Venerable will share this trait

The Bike squad will use Dark Jober modifications to mine (losing shotgun etc) but will regain the following “up to two initaites may take a special weapon or (list of power weapons)” under options

Assault Squad is tricky but I decide that we could do the following. Retaining datasheet but adding the following, “every model in unit may take a combat shield for 1 Power or 2 Power is the Squad is 10 men”. Then removing Evis/Current options, for “up to 2 Marines may take (Power Weapon) or an Eviscerator by replacing their Chainsword. Up to 2 other Marines may take (Power Weapon), Flamer, Plasma Pistol”.

This follows BT don’t care about squad sizes, but prevents squad of 4 plasma pistols. While fundamentally giving the army a new unique unit to call their own

Neophyte Company Standard, will not have access to power or otherwjse weapon wise but be 15 points cheaper (47-50 v 63). Will follow all other rules for banners.

Finally Sword Brothern, Sword Brothern are the weirdest of our UU to require adapting. As even in their era they were just regular veterans. And we need to fix one of Templars core issue lacking a points viable hammer or ‘classic’ star. So first change is making Company Veterans 2-10 retaining all other rules. These represent our classic SB. And that we lacked Vang/Steen. So instead we get super flexible Veterans that lacks some of the abilities of Codex (Packs and Expert Marksmen).

What NeoBrothern is 2-10 squad replacing Honor Gaurd. At 22-25 points. It will be BoltPistol/CombatShield (or Storm?)/PowWeapon. This fills a critical niche that other chapters with heavy assault fill with Sang/Wulfen. We could push them to 30-35, three wounds and three attacks. Power Armor only. Or keep them as 22-25 and instead give them “vows”, Gaurd (+1 Sv), Hunt (Scout Infilitrate) or Cleanse (Deny).

Finally, tactic reroll charge and a BT Model using an AP -1 or greater Melee Weapon, may attack an additional time with that weapon. And then after all and done. The Return of Vows.

We pick 2 Vanilla Marine WT (Angel, And Rite) our current one. Then we make 3 more, one is “BT Units in 6” have 6+ FNP in physics phase and warlord can target pyskers even if they aren’t closest”, second is “BT Models in 6” die on 4+ it (banner) Clause. If model is in range of chapter ancient add +1 (+2 if relic ancient” and final “BT Units in 6” ignore negative modifiers when charging, and may advance shoot Pistol as Assault X weapons”.

The NeoVow, if your warlord is a Black Templar but not a (Champion) nominate one (champion) model to gain a warlord trait “Vow” (the last three). And done everyone think?

Really interesting, brother Schilitzaf. I must study those ideas and try to create the datasheets, this month I'm going to be really busy so I'm not sure about how many hours I will spend in this proyect, but I'm really glad to see you posting here.

Another thing I'm thinking about adding more "subfaction rules". For example, many Space Wolves wish to receive in their codex some "subfaction" rules for their Great Companies  ("tactics" or "company tactics" instead of "Chapter Tactics" ), but BA and DA didn't receive that kind of love, so I think they will receive a similar treatment than BA and DA.

But it is free to dream in a Codex: Black Templars, I suppose if our fluff advances again we could rise our numbers to 5-6k strong again, we could recover the Vows in this way, changing that "tactics" for "Vows", selecting one vow instead a "company tactic" or "subfaction rules".
So keeping our CT: Righteous Zeal and adding the option to pick one vow as "subfaction"

• Suffer Not the Unclean to Live: Strength +1 in melee.
  • Uphold the Honour of the Emperor: 6++ or FNP 6+
  • Abhor the Witch. Destroy the Witch: Rerolling 1's or generating more dices with 6's when targeting Psykers...
  • Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odds: Extra attacks when fighting in melee.

Wolves won’t get subfaction rules. I am almost certain no other ‘chapter’ has gotten that. You might get semi-subfaction (ala Deathwing and Ravenwing, then Death Company to a lesser extent).

So I doubt we will. I still say the best way to bring back vows is to have it the vows be a special two or three warlord trait. I’m thinking two right now. Rites, Angel, Current One, +1 Damage, And then the two vows (which would be 6” aura that become army/table wide if the a CHAMPION model take the warlord trait)

Archived