Sons of Horus 65th Company

Vykes

Aye, I've been trying using the vallejo retarder, Golden, and some of the liquitex mediums as well, but in general they cut the pigmentation a little too hard for me.  I'll also really admit I'm impatient when it comes to painting, but that might be a reaction to how short a window we have to wet blend anything.   In the end, oils keep the really strong pigmentation, allow you to play with it a bit for blending, and bring out some fun surface shading.  I'm tempted to try some more black fur using lamp black and some blue now, you've got me really curious :P Plus, I could use a marshal and more of the Sons of Horus use fur as an officer accouterments. 

Man, I would love to pick up more of that KT terrain. Was saving hobby funds on the side for a few boxes before blowing it all on the new titanicus. So new killing fields will have to wait. Still, the way you build the new terrain is super convenient than just trying to stick two pieces together and wait for glue to set. I also love how it can stack. Going to restart the hobby kitty to get my hands on the two big terrain sets. I really want some of those statues.

If you get more games in please do take some pics and posts. Batreps are always welcomed!

And yeah, maybe the cost in money and/or point wise is why we don't mastodons much? Or maybe they aren't that great? I really liked them when they first came out but there is no way in heck I would be able to get one into a game. My group jumped up to 2000pt games and only 1 has been played in the last few months. I never really thought of it as a shoe or death train but those are awesome nicknames. Imagine an ork looted Mastodon with a giant foot icon and them calling it "da boot uv Mork n Gork".

Hadn't even realised that the vet's fist was from the Tartaros kit, what a good idea! I use raptor lightning claws with the spines removed for chaos fists to get the trim and pose, the stock fists just seem so clunky and ill-sized. I'm definitely thinking of picking up the Killteam set and selling off the two squads, will probably keep the rules though. There's a fella on Instagram who's combined a few of the terrain sets into a display/gaming piece of large connected buildings and it's stunning.

I getcha, Hushrong. I had to make a choice and ended up saying I wanted some more Kill Team stuff (as we've gotten a few new players into the game by Kill Team alone, so more = better in this case) and I really did want something 'doomy' from FW. Unfortunately, that meant delaying Titanicus for a little bit, for me. Which does suck, but I'll just convince myself I was waiting for Reavers and Warhounds. Aye, the stacking is just fantastic, and I'm trying to build the extra munitorum and such into workable stacking and combining stuff. I've been snagging the cores and killzone stuff beause it's a good deal and I can subsidize it by selling off the extra kill teams (which also gives me my painting fix for the week). Definitely worth it. Even the little mats are pretty good, though I will complain about the weird dimensions.

Hah, I'll see what I can do about some full batreps and posts, too! If anything it'll get to shame some of my mates into finally finishing up the last bits of their armies/kill teams.

Aye, I can imagine money wise and point wise (for 40K for sure) the Mastodons are pretty heavy and don't really fit a lot of games. After all, it's a super expensive transport, so that means even more points into the stuff that's inside it, so you're tying stuff up like crazy.... but approaching 14K worth of an army, I'm not too concerned about that :P They look so unique that it'll make a great mobile HQ for the company. We tend to play 1,500pt games here but I can usually wrangle people into 2,500 every now and then... and 5K soon. It's gonna make an appearance soon, but my gaming group always expects something new and weird at that level of points. Why not a moving brick?

And maaaaaan, now I do wanna convert one up for my Speed Kult Orks called “Da Boot of Mork 'n Gork!” and just “Da Boot!” on the front with jagged teeth and what not. It's so orky it's already got an Iron Gob. Man, I have to save up for Orktober.

Aye, Pearson! All you have to do is shave the shoulder down a bit so the pauldron fits over it and it makes for a well fit power fist (it doesn't look so weedy and unsupported at the elbow, happy coincidence there). Hmm, a Raptor lightning claw, those are pretty awesome especially for the more 40K or word bearer aesthetic.

I can totally believe that, honestly the kill team cores and loosing the kill teams will net back a fair chunk of change. Hmm, I may have to look up that instagram picture just so I can get some more inspiration. I'll admit I saw an incredible mechanicus table a few days back that made me really want to snag about a dozen kits before wincing at realizing how hard it would be to store, then the price. Oh well, eventually. I still have to make a desert thing some time and the new Mechanicus set goes a long way into making it feel.... well, actually like that Resident Evil Extinction movie (one I don't recall liking, and not remembering much of... but some of the imagery stuck).

Yeah, kill team has been a treat and it's great news that it's reeling in some new players! In the words of the old knight you have chosen wisely in getting more KT goodies to keep it going! I've been loving it as it's quick to set up, play, and enjoy. On a weeknight gaming session I can get in 3-4 games in the blink of an eye and have a blast. I really do hope we get more of these box sets and some future expansions.

I wanted to avoid AT initially because I did not think anyone in my group will commit. However one guy is def interested so got the GM edition to get the ball rolling. Plus, this is the only chance I will have to ever use a titan.

And as I said I would love to see you work on a Mastodon...but now seeing this speed freeks business I need to see one in the clutches of Da Boot!

The Insta account is heresy_era, just looked it up.

Whoa. I both love and hate that you've made me aware of that person's instagram account. The terrain he is putting together is awesome.

@Vykes - You are a madman! You put out a boatload of high quality models in a very short amount of time. I'm jealous! I love how your Sons of Horus look; both poses and paint.

The Insta account is heresy_era, just looked it up.

Whoa. I both love and hate that you've made me aware of that person's instagram account. The terrain he is putting together is awesome.

Haha, accounts like this and many here on the B&C put severe pressure on my will to protect my wallet from the hobby's grip.

Heresy_era is pretty good, I was wondering if the non-core plastic sets were grey or beige too. It's good, I may have to snap up a few packs for a scenic display until I figure out whether or not I'm gonna base my stuff or not... Really really want to make wings like that example, though. Oh well, soon and very soon.

Man, you're totally right on that one Hushrong, it's great to 'lure' in some new players... there's a white van and candy joke in there somewhere, but anyway, I swear I used that -exact- phrase to describe it in the past few days. Ye olden Grail knight is always right! I just finished up the other two Killzone sets, Gah, it's addictive to want more, but I should probably focus on the kill teams from the kill team box, too. Probably a good time to make up some dark mechanicus support to the 65th to help take care of its expanding armour pool.

You're lucky when it comes to AT, mate. I've got one player that is thinking on buying the Warlord set but wants the Warhound sets first (he's a plasma junky and the lack of a sunfury put him off with the Warlord). Man, Speedfreeks... this is a hideously expensive year!

Thanks a ton Shovellovin, man, hope I can keep it up when the next roiling tide of marines and armour shows up. But it is great to have such an abundance of working parts these days. Ah, ye olden times of 2nd and 3rd.... -winces a bit-

While not strictly related to the 65th, the areas of operations for Strike Force Gemini have expanded some. Kinda wonder how big an area Kill team should be on.

gallery_107230_14721_14497.jpeg

gallery_107230_14721_730.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a long while here, but a lot of it has been from just 'finishing' units, and a lot of them only came together this week. So, the 65th has expanded, a fair bit point in fact.

As a bit of a note, there's now a thread in the dedicated 30K section that will have things like battle reports and any of my meanderings in it too.

Such as a nice little country jaunt back to Istvaan III

gallery_107230_14721_48022.jpg

Alright, so, what's new?

The Mournful Song Storm Eagle and Last Light Fire Raptor have become Sombra Flight, joined by the Storm Eagles Bleak Sky and Dusk Runner.

gallery_107230_14721_185313.jpg

They're joined by the Scimitar Jetbike Squadron Backlash

gallery_107230_14721_6825.jpg

Squad Hail has been refitted with 3 new autocannons, and here is joined by the new flamer squad Dakon

gallery_107230_14721_28793.jpg

The other portion of Squad Hail has become Squad Myscera, a Heavy support missile unit.

gallery_107230_14721_229824.jpg

Squad Refute has grown from 5 to 10 plasma support gunners.

gallery_107230_14721_413609.jpg

The newest armoured elements are both big and small: the Mastodon Vitanii (Demon), and two more Rhinos (and a covering hatch for the Clarion Call if I need to switch it to a stock rhino).

gallery_107230_14721_76589.jpg

And a new Infantry Squad, Cythensus

gallery_107230_14721_232771.jpg

See? Lot of stuff, and still a few more.

The Old Grey has been reinforced with another street clearing siege gun, the Vindicator "Formerly known as Pug" Still haven't got a name for it.

gallery_107230_14721_85762.jpg

And finally, some survivors from the 64th company that were folded with the 65th during its earlier, leaner years, Squad Ashkar.

gallery_107230_14721_107968.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I'll be sure to add in some more glossies.

Nice quick update today, I finished 2 apothecaries: my 'prime' Keniel Nizan, the mk.II clad one with the saber, and apothecary Effrom Rei, the 'new' one. Gotta admit, they were a lot of fun.

gallery_107230_14721_9147.jpg

-laughs- it's kinda weird as they're at the point where I just get to stare saying, "So... like, what next?"  It feels like just doubling down on the same or going with a more wacky theme.  Dude, youll get there one day... and know the crushing void that is 'am I done?' :P  But you get all your awesome wulfen, mate -laughs- maybe I should look at the '40K' side of things to see how to make some Lupercii.

Thanks a ton, dude!  They won't rank up with your awesome true-scales but I'm still pretty happy with how the 'wolf' look turned out!  I've had that squad in the back of my mind for a while and just kinda waffled on how to really work 'em.  But just tossing in some different legion heads, browsing through Visions of Heresy I just had to have at least one unit.  (I'll admit, the red gloves totally sold it for me.  Gotta thank custodes for one thing at least :P )

Man, super tempted to try and make up a full 'platoon' of the old school ones. 

Doooo it! You’ve got to get that cool eye banner in there at least! Great choice with the helmets too, they really embody that old Warhammer art style.

(Perfect opportunity to try your hand at truescaling too ;) )

Man, looking through the Visions book, you come across Sons of Horus with all sorts of helms from Iron Warriors, to an Alpha Legion, to Emperors Children, and Death Guard.  Really tempted to snag some of those head replacement sets and go whole hog.  True scaling, oh maaaaaaaan, now that is tempting. -rubs hands together, thinking of that- 

Aye, Luna Wolves truescaled is definitely a project with some legs.  -laughs- my painting I don't think is too bad but modeling skills ain't up to par.  I shall have to do some studying, musing, plotting, practicing, planning.  I have something to do!!  -tries to suppress the sound of nonsensical glee- 

Aye, Luna Wolves truescaled is definitely a project with some legs.  -laughs- my painting I don't think is too bad but modeling skills ain't up to par.  I shall have to do some studying, musing, plotting, practicing, planning.  I have something to do!!  -tries to suppress the sound of nonsensical glee- 

The truescale crew is pretty friendly so don't hesitate in asking any of us for help! I did plenty of that when I first started things (still do- got to keep learning!) 

Archived