Castellan points?

Looking at the latest rumors on the Castellan, both BoLS and Spikey Bits have their articles saying that you should be able to (barely) fit 3 Castellans into an 1850pt list. Which would put them around 615pts each.

So it looks like the worries about them being 700-800pts might not come to pass? And our 'regular' Knights should be getting cheaper........ wait, does this mean our Knights will actually be points-efficient?!

Looking at the latest rumors on the Castellan, both BoLS and Spikey Bits have their articles saying that you should be able to (barely) fit 3 Castellans into an 1850pt list. Which would put them around 615pts each.

So it looks like the worries about them being 700-800pts might not come to pass? And our 'regular' Knights should be getting cheaper........ wait, does this mean our Knights will actually be points-efficient?!

I think we should *cautiously* be expecting a points decrease for Knights. I honestly think that their viability as a 'stand alone' faction hinges on this at the very least.

As for BoLS and Spikey... Do they cite where they get this impression from? I think recently much of their info on Knights has actually been cut and paste from our very own Hermanista :biggrin.: - I don't think he's mentioned anything about points costs though.

That's not to say they're wrong of course, but how much does that point spread hinge on taking wargear options that may be less than optimal for example? 

It's very hard to say at this stage.

Still, it could be reason for optimism, and certainly drives discussion around speculation until the big reveal... :biggrin.:

(Worth noting too that even at 615 points, that's almost certainly going to place one at power level 30+ - which bans them from any list using ITC rules. Doesn't affect everyone, but still needs considering.)

I saw in another thread that ITC did away with the 30 PL restriction, but I'm not personally familiar with the rule-set to verify that.

I'm not either in truth. I know it certainly had been a thing, or was going to be a thing.

It's certainly possible that it's not the case now - I'll try and find out :thumbsup:

EDIT: Short and simple answer is that it's not currently in the default ITC format rule set for this season - or not that I can see, but some ITC events have been adopting it anyway. So seems it's a case by case thing for now much like 'No Forge World'.

I saw in another thread that ITC did away with the 30 PL restriction, but I'm not personally familiar with the rule-set to verify that.

I'm not either in truth. I know it certainly had been a thing, or was going to be a thing.

It's certainly possible that it's not the case now - I'll try and find out :thumbsup:

EDIT: Short and simple answer is that it's not currently in the default ITC format rule set for this season - or not that I can see, but some ITC events have been adopting it anyway. So seems it's a case by case thing for now much like 'No Forge World'.

ITC had a power level restriction prior to Chapter Approved, but got rid of it after CA. Because the 30+ PL units were pointed more appropriately in CA. But even if it's not the default rule, individual tournaments may use a PL or FW ban, like you said. 

It's also possible that you can get a Castellan at 600ish points but it's quite barebones. Maybe with no missiles on top, no void shield generator, the twin meltas are stubbers instead etc. So it might still be in that 700 point range all decked out even if these rumours are true.

It's also possible that you can get a Castellan at 600ish points but it's quite barebones. Maybe with no missiles on top, no void shield generator, the twin meltas are stubbers instead etc. So it might still be in that 700 point range all decked out even if these rumours are true.
It’s pretty much a given that a tricked out Castellan will be push the points into the “too high to field in most games” category. But if bare bones means it’s playable in a 2k games, I’m down.

SJ

https://spikeybits.com/2018/05/knights-playable-again-point-change-rumors.html

Well, speak of the devil. Rumoured point values

EDIT: Armigers drop 60 from forgebane, knights down 25, gattler cannon down 20, dominus class base 100 more than Guilliman, new terrain 90.

From that, it looks to make Knights now 285 base, with the Armiger down to 163 from 223.  The big boys are clocking in at 500 just for the knight itself, but a previous rumor said you could get three in an 1850 list so I would imagine that with weapons we’re looking at around 600 total cost to field them.

That's the relevant text although there is a mistake in the explanation since the kngiht base would be 295 not 285.

https://spikeybits.com/2018/05/knights-playable-again-point-change-rumors.html

Well, speak of the devil. Rumoured point values

EDIT: Armigers drop 60 from forgebane, knights down 25, gattler cannon down 20, dominus class base 100 more than Guilliman, new terrain 90.

From that, it looks to make Knights now 285 base, with the Armiger down to 163 from 223.  The big boys are clocking in at 500 just for the knight itself, but a previous rumor said you could get three in an 1850 list so I would imagine that with weapons we’re looking at around 600 total cost to field them.

That's the relevant text although there is a mistake in the explanation since the kngiht base would be 295 not 285.

Knights down 35 i believe? Dominus base seems silly expensive unless they're getting free weapons, or its weapons are really cheap. Armiger drop was neccessary and highly welcome. All in all not bad? Can't really make any judgements on Dominus variants until we can see the rules in whole

EDIT: I'm blind. 295 it is then. so 25 down. Still a welcome change

Archived