How to commit vile Tech Heresy! A tourists guide to Xana II

Stray

That Castigator looks badass! I need to start working on mine sometime, but I'd rather work on my plastic knight first to get some practice first. Do you have any tips for painting and/or assembling this beast?

Thanks buddy!

Most of the tips I'd have would be the obvious stuff, leave the panels off etc. If you've done one or two before and have the right brushes/sprays, Knights are frighteningly fast to get painted in reality.

The biggest tip with the FW Knights is to get out your Blue-tac and make sure you've set your poses as you want them for each of the limbs before you get any glue out. This is the area I find myself making mistakes in more than any other really.

Lovely Knight Castigator!  And thanks for the pre-assembly advice, I'd almost forgotten I had a few leftover sticks of Blu-tac from a previous project.  This will help me immensely going into the next round of Knights :)

• 3 weeks later...

Caterday Update!

Well, what a week huh? Updates to Codex's and even a mini Codex dropping out of the blue. And for Renegade Knights no less! It's almost enough to cause my shriveled black heart to beat a little faster. Almost.

The Knight Codex dropping had really caused me to paws (ha! never gets old) and consider which direction to go in with regards to my Knight House. Obviously for the last several weeks in order to benefit from the new content, we corrupt awesome types have been forced to consider running as Renegade Houses in name and paint scheme, while using Imperial Rules. Just having gotten used to this situation, the wheel turns again!

This is a pretty great situation, unexpected, but very welcome. It's very much causing an additional rethink about upcoming purchases though.

Anyhew! The forges of Xana have been quietly (well, other than the wailing) churning out units, some of which are even nearly painted! One day soon, I may even have a hooman slave minion deliver them to a tabletop.

Updates:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mww7tiDE76k/TeuGA94Y8MI/AAAAAAAALK0/gidkpqJ5uak/s640/Picture17.jpg

Sorry, wrong picture... meant this for my tinder profile O.o (Meow! Hide your lady cats!)

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/unnamed_zpskaln81th.jpg

That's better.

Porphy at the back there has been the lions share of the work over the last week or so. He's something of a work in progress still, but we're getting there.

I decided I didn't like the paint work on the canopy of the Lancer, so it's getting a Dettol bath right now. We've the first of our air force ready to go though. Going to make catching birds easier...

Meow for now hoomans!

That's an amazing model collection, really well done but there's one thing that bugs me... How do you hold a paint brush without any thumbs? I hope you currently get some assistance because it sounds really challenging. I think you're doing just fine as is though. :)

That's an amazing model collection, really well done but there's one thing that bugs me... How do you hold a paint brush without any thumbs? I hope you currently get some assistance because it sounds really challenging. I think you're doing just fine as is though. :smile.:

There's a trick to it ;)

https://youtu.be/n4PR9NZlAB4

I just can't wait for Caterday update!

So there I was grabbing my customary 20 hours of sleep today, when a thought occurred to me...

evil-cat-is-evil_o_1597553.jpg?resize=46

In a Renegade Knight Lance, I don't get anything like the options that you corpse worshipping, goody two-shoes types do. (We have much cooler parties though, see above - almost feel sorry for the hooman that has to change the litter). 

There are the usual basic Warlord Traits, the extra ob-sec one, and the -LD relic. 

But you do get to nonetheless make a Knight a Character in that Lance...

...and all Chaos characters can summon.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a99ab0ae71b6dc519d242b410c51a371/tumblr_mtgphy6z7V1qlps5wo1_500.jpg

So I'm wondering about how to best capitalise on that.

Knights are tough, they aren't easy to remove from the board. My natural inclination here is to make the exceptionally tough Atrapos my Warlord. With access to Rotate, I can now have a reliable 3++ on it, self healing each turn (which is great due to the dangers of mortal wounds inherent in the summoning mechanics), and with Warlord trait a 6+++ against all wounds also.

For the price of a Patrol detachment of Daemons (which can stay hidden in the warp if need be), I can also access a bunch of extra strats which apply to the Atrapos and help with summoning.

My question is this. I'm pretty new to Daemons, how would you best go about using these mechanics in a game? Assume around 400-500 points worth of summoning pool after Lance and Patrol. What are the key units? What should be avoided?

Answers on a Postcard to: Fortress of 'Mew', Xana II, Chaos Realms (attach catnip).

giphy.gif

Well that video is something horrific i cant unsee.... .... Obvious heresy at work ... i wanted tentacles or scorpion limbs not terrifying uncanny valley hands .

Also as a side effect every post of yours I read now is going to be in the voice of Nick Backay, obviously this is you posting.

Capture

I think the smart thing to do with demons would be to Go Tzeentch to patch the obvious hole we have in Psychic powers ... I always felt like Tzeentch was an 'innovator" ....  I could see Horrors, and flamers/screamers or bringing in the blue scribe to provide anti psyker.

The cool thing being you only have to pay set aside the points ... to summon you dont have to decide what you need until you do it ....   i'd try flamers  or exhaulted flamers and a herald to give them + strength and bring the Strength 10 FLAME

Edited by synthaside

Hmm. I hadn't considered Tzeentch.

I suspect with the Knights on the table, things like Flamers might be situational? I shouldn't be lacking in heavy hitting models I guess.

I was considering something to get the model count up, so wondered about Slaanesh? A few of the Psychic powers look promising from a control perspective, and Cacophonic Choir might work reasonably well with the -3 LD bubble that the Atrapos will be putting out.

Soporific musk is interesting for locking things down too, but again, I don't have much experience with the units.

What about summoning fast Troop choices for objective secured  ?

Slannesh is always a good option just because ... Well Its slannesh do you need an excuse ....  

Now i suddenly have urges to make daft punk , noise marines for a Dark mechanicum force .

This is my thinking, yes. They seem like they'd be very useful for board control.

Nurglings also intrigue me. It looks like you can basically deploy them directly on top of objectives, or pretty much within charge range of the opposition at the start of the game. Likely they don't have much staying power, but as a cheap 'nuisance' unit...

(Fun fact: A group of domestic cats is called a 'nuisance'. It's a little insulting, and clearly should be called an awesome, (the hooman responsible was flayed before being bathed in lemon juice) but maybe that's a conversion opportunity for Nurgling swarms :tongue.:)

Edited by Stray

My group of domestic cats are a nuisance indeed.

I think nurglings are only good for lists of you get them onto objectives pre game and as you can't summon pre game they would just appear 12 inches from the summoning character and 9 from an enemy they would fail to benefit from their own deep strike / advance deploy... Kinda pointles.

I'd go for bloodletters ,or deamonettes ... Purely for mass of cheap objective secured . The cool thing is even if you fluff the 3d6 role to summon you can get something else in the problem is unless you use the demon stratagem from somewhere you will not have the 4 d6 stratagem and also suffer the any doubles mortal wound .

I think unless it was FAQ'd, you can deploy Nerglings anywhere you like? As long as you're 9" away from enemy deployment. So you can deploy them straight on objectives right? 'Mischief makers' or something the rule is called. You wouldn't summon in this case, but I dunno - it sounds promising for some cheeky objective control from the start.

Bloodletters and Daemonettes with their associated buffing units seem to be where I'm coming round to right now I must admit.

I could take my mandatory patrol detachment as a large pack of Bloodletters + Herald, then have them Deep Strike turn 2. They can have a 3D6 charge roll plus enough bonuses to make quite the mess when the come on to the board - even fighting twice if you have the CP

That sounds pretty unpleasant to be on the receiving end of. You already had three Knights in front of you, one of which is merrily summoning hordes of Daemonettes, then Suddenly, Bloodletters! appear on your flank.

Caterday Update!

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/SupposedlySadCat-61612_zpsahajl9eo.jpg

The week started well with the defeat of my greatest foe.

With the canine out of the way, hobby could commence uninterrupted!

The ranks of the household have swollen with the addition of another pair of Questorus Knights. This brings my Q-Knight total to four, however with one of them looking a bit shabby being an early purchase, I think we'll be retiring that Knight to the great bits box in the sky.

The others will form the backbone of the list concept we've been working on in an attempt to embrace the differences inherent in a Renegade Knight force. This is where we are so far:

++ Questor Traitoris Super-Heavy Detachment +6CP (Chaos - Questor Traitoris) [79 PL, 1435pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Renegade Knight [25 PL, 513pts]: Heavy stubber
. Avenger gatling cannon and heavy flamer
. Avenger gatling cannon and heavy flamer

Renegade Knight [25 PL, 367pts]: Meltagun, Reaper chainsword, Thunderstrike gauntlet

Renegade Knight Atropos [29 PL, 555pts]: 3. Tenacious Survivor, Atropos lascutter, Character, Graviton singularity cannon, The Traitor's Mark, Warlord

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Daemons) [15 PL, 263pts] ++

+ HQ +

Bloodmaster [3 PL, 56pts]

+ Troops +

Bloodletters [12 PL, 207pts]: 25x Bloodletter, Bloodreaper, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

++ Total: [94 PL, 1698pts] ++

With the revelation that Renegade Knight characters are eligible to summon comes some interesting possibilities. Here, the Atrapos acts as the summoning unit. It effectively has the Taranis trait gaining a 6+++ along with it's already impressive 27 wounds and native 4++ against shooting, 5++ against melee. It's a tough unit, and as I'm somewhat reliant upon it, it needs to be.

The other Knights complement the heavy damage capabilities of the Atrapos with both great melee support and, probably the best anti horde configuration we have - even given the new releases.

The Bloodletter group is a very nasty 'bomb' that can come in on turn 2 via the warp, and are almost guaranteed to make their charge, and a hell of a mess due to bonuses and synergies. They also have enough bodies to lock down a fair few units and provide a significant anvil to the Knights hammer.

I'm left then with 300 points for some serious 'Swiss-army summoning'.

This is the aspect of the list that I like most. Being able to adapt my force in response to what's happening on the board.
Need ob-sec? Summon an additional group of Troops. Issues with a high Toughness Target? Summon a Nurgle Herald and hit it with Shriveling Pox.

Not having to decide upon what you're taking before hand and allowing your force to evolve to the fight is so powerful, and something I can't wait to try on the tabletop...

Meow for now cats and kittens!

• 2 months later...

Quick bit of a hobby update as it's been a while. Finished another Gallant, and started to add some re-enforcement's as summon-able 'support' to my standard Lance.

If you listen carefully behind the screams of Xana's Hell-Forges, you may hear the chanting of vile sorcery...

We are House Malinax, and Hell rides with us!

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09850_zps6fcfxyaw.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09852_zpsa8wizscv.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09851_zpsolwydxnb.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09854_zpsmf0gmcwb.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09859_zpsagddoh6r.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09855_zpsk0dcayiw.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09857_zpsmbgnczgr.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09853_zps2n8tlpwe.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/tcgfade0ut/DSC09858_zpsbnb82nhe.jpg

Looking great oh fuzzy one! The weathering on the panels looks great. I've only just learned how fun it is to work on Knights, though I haven't started a Cerastus chassis yet. Good to see an update to this blog. :)

how do you get the powder to stick more securely afterwards without ruining the effects you've made?

I just tend to use GW's spray matte varnish. Seems to do the job. Purity Seal I think they call it?

Your knight looks jut like the one on the cover of a black book, well done

Haha, cheers buddy. Guilty! I believe that one on the cover is Matonari. love that particular Knight - it was a big reason why I began a Malinax Household - so on my Atrapos I pretty much literally tried to copy each and every scratch and burn :P