Jolemai

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Aggressor Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_65684.jpg
Aggressor Squad, Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use an Aggressor Squad?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved and Balance Dataslate changes affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog, or transport? Suitable Strategic Reserves choice?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • How are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

I think they're rather solid - especially for BA. We don't care if we charge or are charged on the first turn to get that sweet +1 to wound (however at S8 that won't come into play at T4 or below).

They're a solid all-rounder with the guns to shred dudes and the hands to crush bigger things.

Personally (rule of cool...) I like the Flamestorm Gauntlets. You can advance and throw down auto hits (that average more than the other weapons, 7 as opposed to 6.33) and then charge.

If on the defensive though, you can very much enjoy enjoy 4D6 Overwatch from each Aggressor into oncoming traffic.

A large unit makes an excellent screen for something like a Chaplain/ Librarian Dread, the former of which means they will be hurting T8 on a 2+

Mass of Doom can be nice on them, negativing the -1 to hit on the fists and potentially granting a 4++.

If on the defensive though, you can very much enjoy enjoy 4D6 Overwatch from each Aggressor into oncoming traffic.

I don't think that's correct? Flamestorm Gauntlets generate 2D6 shots total just like Boltstorm Gauntlets generate 6 total. It's one weapon system just like a Deredeo's main weapons.

I don't think that's correct? Flamestorm Gauntlets generate 2D6 shots total just like Boltstorm Gauntlets generate 6 total. It's one weapon system just like a Deredeo's main weapons.

And if they don't move they can fire twice thanks to the Firestorm rule (which includes Overwatch) ;)

I like these models, so I'll likely end up adding them to my collection at some point (definitely a rule of cool player).

I think they're fairly flexible units, all things considered.  Ideally, I think I'd want to park a squad with the bolt/frag loadout on a midfield objective and let them double-fire on anyone who treads too close.  Their weapons being assault though helps if you need to relocate or push them up.

The flame version seems neat but I feel like I'd have to put those guys in a Repulsor just to get them into the mix.

I almost feel like there's a sprinkle of irony with a unit called "Aggressors" that get a bonus for standing still.

Rule of cool I'd always go with flamestorm gauntlets. However crunch-wise I've to say they're rather terrible. You pay points for two special rules you won't ever or barely use due them hitting automatically and having super short range so it's unlikely for an opponent to stay in range without you having to chase after your target.

Double overwatch is nice but it's not like Aggressors are overl durable against shooting so don't expect your opponent to keep charging them (also I think it says they have to be stationary during their last movement phase so you would have to stand around for a turn AND hope for a stupid charge from your opponent ... maybe if you let them sit on an objective in covwr I guess ...).

Oh and better don't even try to see them as melee unit. They only have two BS3+ attacks each so that's about one power fist hit per model. That only scares expensive elite.infantry like Marines and due the D1d3 characteristic it's not even very unlikely to fail to kill a Primaris or other multi-wound model.

No, Aggressors are a shooty unit ... a scary one with the Bolter set up. The pure weight of shots can munch through most units on the board, even tanks with up to T7. Move them forwards with the rest of your army and if you're in a good position stay there hold your position with about 19 shots at 18“ per model.

The problem with Flamestorm gauntlets is that they require your opponent to set up their units for you to get the double-shot. The range is simply too short for you to spend one turn moving in range, and then another sitting still. Unless you're controlling an important part of the battlefield, your opponent would have to be foolish to give you the opportunity to double fire those flamers. And if you do control, say, a vital objective, or are blocking movement through a break in impassable terrain, then they can either charge from slightly over 8" away (as an Ork player, this is what I'd do) or just shoot them to death. T5/2W on 3-6 models isn't much to get through, if you have to get through it in a turn. Add to that that even with advancing, it's seemingly possible (and for a mobile opponent, likely) that they'll have no or limited targets on the move. I just can't recommend them.

Boltstorm Gauntlets and Frag Grenade launchers, however, I can recommend. Each marine has the firepower of between 3.5 and 6 bolters, with an 18 inch range and the ability to advance without penalty. A 3 man unit gets 18 shots base, with a further 3d6. And that isn't with the double fire. 36 shots and 6d6 is a lot of firepower, and can do a lot of work clearing chaff if you can put them in a good position.

37 points a model seems like a lot, but with a minimum squad size of 3, and how much firepower each one puts out, they aren't a heavy investment. I often find myself including them as the 3rd slot in a vanguard detachment, and I've yet to be disappointed. They aren't spectacular, but they are efficient, and I enjoy taking them.

I'm really quite tempted to add some Deathwatch to my BA plan to take advantage of the mixed primaris unit; the intercessors add some ablative wounds for the aggressors, the aggressors allow them to advance and fire without penalty with auto bolt rifles - boltstorm aggressors could really throw down some horde mulching power without immediately being shot right off the board, plus the special ammo and +1 wounding. Add an inceptor and they can fall back and fire, and assault bolters would add to the dakka. Couple of those could march right up the field to keep the opponent occupied and clear a landing zone for the Blood Angels assault units, and be hard to bog down.

I really like aggressors and there are two ways I use them.

1- Running the board with the FNP banner. The banner of sacrifice work really well with them, providing extra durability and also the shoot back ability. Don’t forget if they don’t move they get to do 12 shots with the banner too.

2- Denying deep strike. They are brutal with auspex scan and they open up good possibilities on the backfield, it’s almost like they extend a no drop zone to 12 ». With that in mind, two units of three can secure and cover almost the entire deployment zone. If the beta rules becomes actual FAQ this will matter less but right now aggressors are a useful thing.

It’s worth noting that I talk about boltstorm not Flamers. Sadly flamer version is not nearly as good.

Aggressors with flamers suffer the same problem that Devs with flamers have. They are amazing weapons but with the rules they way the are in 40k right now you just don't want to be close enough to use those weapons. The only way I see it working is if you rock three max sized squads of these boys and march/advance them up the field. 

Just realize that most of their firepower comes from shooting twice. With the flamers you will always be on the move so it hinders them even more. Take a fire base of 12 of these guys with bolters & fragstorm launchers surrounding  2 Relic Leviathan Dreadnoughts with double storm cannon array and you will keep everything out of your lines short of Genestealers or Reivers. 

It is a lot of points but you then put in the FNP banner and a captain in there for rerolls and you are starting to ruin someone's day. I don't recommend that you do this in friendly games.

Aggressors are the gold standard of midrange firepower (bolter frag). Flamestorm looks good on paper but is easily worked around by a savvy general. Really the only hard counters are superior range and heavy armor. Buffed they destroy anything they can reach. Expect enemies to prioritize them accordingly.

Also I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to talk blood angels tactics.

We totally are. It just dawned on me. My apologies. Aggressors are also amazing with Blood Angels as well. The Red Thirst is no joke and really amps Aggressors in melee. They are already have power fists, but now they are wounding T7 on 2+, T8 on 3+ and T9 on 4+ which is outstanding. 

I will eventually be building Flamestorm Aggressors. In the hopes that one day we'll have a good delivery system for the aggressors. The Repulsor is just way to expensive imho. On the flipside though.. if you manage to position them correctly they are going to be a nightmare to take an objective from. 

Deathwatch comment in the spoiler.

As far as I'm aware they re-roll 1s against which every unit type they want to choose and it is the start that gives hem +1 to wound, they don't even need special ammo. But you put them in a kill team with 5 intercessors which will have the special ammo. But they will still have minor issues in melee where Blood Angels make up for units that have issues in melee.
Edited by Jolemai
Removed off topic

I will eventually be building Flamestorm Aggressors. In the hopes that one day we'll have a good delivery system for the aggressors. The Repulsor is just way to expensive imho. On the flipside though.. if you manage to position them correctly they are going to be a nightmare to take an objective from. 

A delivery system isn't their issue. It's that in order to use the double fire rule, your opponent has to either not move a unit out of 8", or move a unit within 8". The only feasible way this comes up is if they have to take an objective or table area that your flamestorm aggressors are already on and can't just shoot them off of it. It's a tight niche, and one that nothing else can rectify.

I haven't taken a look at the sprue but I hope I can magnetize the hands like AdMech player do with the Kastellans. I really want to have them with Flamestorm Gauntlets but it's impossible to justify for me even in casual games. It feels too much like gimping yourself by not being able to properly utilize the two special rules that make Aggressors into what they are.

A delivery system isn't their issue. It's that in order to use the double fire rule, your opponent has to either not move a unit out of 8", or move a unit within 8". The only feasible way this comes up is if they have to take an objective or table area that your flamestorm aggressors are already on and can't just shoot them off of it. It's a tight niche, and one that nothing else can rectify.

The double fire is nice. But you don't really need it. If you camp them on an objective that is in cover you can force the opponent to try and make the 9" charge or risk the shorter charge into the wall of flame. 

There is also the fact that you don't even really need to use the double fire right away. Just move, advance, flame+fragstorm if in range. I think you want this unit to be within the 8" but not charge themselves. Get the extra overwatch if your opponent doesn't wipe them out and then you power fist them to death. The key to making this work if having bigger threats on the table. People are not going to pay attention to them that much if you have other nasty stuff rolling on their lines. 

I haven't taken a look at the sprue but I hope I can magnetize the hands like AdMech player do with the Kastellans. I really want to have them with Flamestorm Gauntlets but it's impossible to justify for me even in casual games. It feels too much like gimping yourself by not being able to properly utilize the two special rules that make Aggressors into what they are.

Perhaps.. but there are some really cool missions where the flamestorm cannons would be really useful. Defense missions, relic missions etc. 

...flame+fragstorm if in range...

They don't get the Frag Grenade Launchers.

OMG.... That is horrible. I see almost no reason to take the Flamestorm now. That is a very poor decision on GW's part. :verymad:

Have used both types quite a bit.

They're simply too fragile, and whilst faster than they appear on profile, they're still too slow to really footslog which then means a repulsor which becomes an all your eggs in one basket sort of thing.

Their shooting is nice (both versions if you can position them but it's easier with bolter version). Their melee just isn't good enough to be a real threat to anything.

If they were 3 wounds each (gravis should give +1 wound AND +1 toughness imo). They'd be a little better, but probably not much tbh.

The above is based on using them in most games I played last year up till January, but I've not had much time to play since then.

The above is based on using them in most games I played last year up till January, but I've not had much time to play since then.

Were they just focused down before performing? Did they underperform? Were the list designed in a way to have multiple big threats to try and take off some of the heat of the Aggressors? Just curious. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with them.

Something something, Aggressors for the ETL anyone? Something something

If I can't get the scout biker box on the 23rd I'll pick up two aggressor boxes ^_^ I need 6 boxes in total but I can't afford that outright.

Something something, Aggressors for the ETL anyone? Something something

I'm actually painting up a squad right now, but I've declared for the Orks and I'll be damned if I spend a vow on something without greenskin!