Forge World Illuminatum

Hello everyone!  I took a long break from 40k once I had kids, but fortunately my step-son has taken up the hobby and I'm playing again.  I've jumped into 8th edition with AdMech, as I wanted something different than Eldar, which I played for many years.  So far I'm enjoying it!  I've decided to create my own forge world and will try and get my fluff background posted soon - apparently my work security settings won't allow me to paste the information!  But, in general, it's a forgeworld residing on a cloaked Ark Mechanicus and its main role is to collect and safeguard knowledge via exploration and infiltration (acting like a "Black Library" for the Imperium.  It gains autonomy in exchange for providing technology and information to the Mechanicum and Inquisition. As it's troops are infiltrated across the Imperium,  via proprietary materials made within the clothing/armor of its units, it can seem to "appear" anywhere to pursue its interests.

My draft symbol is a combination of a magnifying glass with the symbol of knowledge (pyramid and eye) to represent their search for knowledge, and a compass cog (eight-spoked cog to represent the Mechanicum and the 8 directions of the compass, i.e. N, NE, E etc).  The symbol also could be used to represent the Dark Mechanicum with a Tzeentchian allegiance due to the 8-spoked cog = eight pointed star of Chaos - should I want to play it that way.

The draft symbol: 

Forgeworld Illuminatum symbol

Some initial painted units - Onager and a ranger.  Need to get a pic of the rest of the rangers and Tech Priest Dominus.  Will be doing a swamp base theme (my step-son is doing Necrons and we decided to have a unique world to fight over), so they'll get moss/water. 

Onager front

[

Onager right side

Onager left side

Will try to get my full background up, but I welcome any thoughts you have and look forward to playing more games!

Okay, was able to use my phone to get my fluff posted!

Forge World Illuminatum – The Hidden Forge

Illuminatum is a cloaked Ark Mechanicus which serves the Adeptus Mechanicus and Inquisition by finding and retaining all knowledge and technology and keeping it safe. Due to countless occurrences in the past where technology was lost or destroyed, this forge world was given the honor to find and secure technology and maintain it in a “library” so it would never be lost. It is a “Black Library” of the Imperium. Illuminatum performs its duties through exploration and infiltration. Proprietary substances manufactured into the uniforms/armor of its denizens allows them to change their appearance and infiltrate forge worlds across the galaxy. Agents are spread to as many planets and forge worlds as possible, to retrieve, maintain, and save ALL knowledge/technology. Exploratory parties are also sent to retrieve knowledge from lost or xenos-inhabited worlds. In return for its autonomous management and conduct, it provides the Adeptus Mechanicus and Inquisition with information and technology, providing spies and agents for both organizations across the Imperium. Due to its embedded nature, Illuminatum can seem to “appear” anywhere and fight for its interests, or those of the Adeptus Mechanicus and Inquisition. As Illuminatum does not have a world from which to extract resources, it siphons materials from worlds where its agents are embedded and will also extract materials from worlds near its actual location, often pioneering locations for future Imperial outposts or forge worlds.

Knowledge

Illuminatum has the mandate to collate and safeguard all knowledge it has, to benefit the Imperium. In exchange for knowledge and information, the Adeptus Mechanicus and Inquisition discretely support and allow Illuminatum autonomy on how it performs its duties. However, agents from both organizations housed on Illuminatum do conduct routine screens to assure loyalty to the Imperium. While knowledge on demonic-machine technology is collated, no research is conducted in this area. However, xenos-tech is actively collected and researched, though discreetly.

Seconded!  You're clearly enjoying getting back into the "swing" of 40k with 8th edition.  Have you played your first game in the new edition, yet?

I am enjoying it!  Just finished reading the Forges of Mars trilogy too...wow, that is a good read.  We just started an escalation league at my local Warhammer store, so just got a couple games in at 25 power level and working up to 40 power level for June.  So far, I have the following:

Tech Priest Dominus (just won our HQ painting competition this weekend!)

Onager seen above

5 rangers with 2 transarquebus

10 vanguard with 3 plasma calivers. 

Hoping to add for June:

Enginseer (to get a 2nd HQ for a battalion)

5 rangers (to get a 3rd troop for a battalion)

2 Syndonian Dragoons with taser lances

So busy assembling and will work in getting them painted up!  Still need to finish details on the vanguard and finish up the packs, but had to get them all base-coated to avoid any penalties playing in the league.  Any non-painted models confers "preferred enemy unpainted" to your opponent and they get +1 to hit and wound against those targets. :)

So busy assembling and will work in getting them painted up!  Still need to finish details on the vanguard and finish up the packs, but had to get them all base-coated to avoid any penalties playing in the league.  Any non-painted models confers "preferred enemy unpainted" to your opponent and they get +1 to hit and wound against those targets. :smile.:

That is the best rule I have ever heard for a campaign.  I'm going to recommend it for our local AoS campaign starting up soon! :)

Fantastic work, all around!  Those are some really bold highlight choices, but I think you took a risk and it worked out.  Definitely a unique AdMech scheme :)

Thanks for the feedback!  I know the color scheme is a bit different and I was not sure I could pull it off, but it seems to be going well!  I was inspired by raku pottery, like this:

So I focused on the magenta/purple with copper and kept the blue as deep shades and power sources. 

I will work on getting a group shot soon, but I want to try and get the bases finished first. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely work!  I'd vote for the Armiger if you haven't started yet.  Don't forget to make an ETL vow! :smile.:

That is what I was thinking too, especially with their codex so close.  So, I've seen "ETL vow" mentioned before, but must admit, I'm not exactly sure what it is?  A vow of when to finish painting?

They look great together, great work. I think either choice would be fine, but having just finished my own Armigers I think they'd be fun to do :tu:

If you wish to vow for the ETL you've not got much time to make your first, rules are here. The short version is; make a pledge of legal unit(s) from a codex along with a "before" shot, and be sure to finish with your "after" picture before the deadline ;)

They look great together, great work. I think either choice would be fine, but having just finished my own Armigers I think they'd be fun to do :thumbsup:

If you wish to vow for the ETL you've not got much time to make your first, rules are here. The short version is; make a pledge of legal unit(s) from a codex along with a "before" shot, and be sure to finish with your "after" picture before the deadline :wink:

Thanks for the ETL info!  That looks like fun!  I will have to get some "before" pics today then and get a vow going!  Too bad I don't have any "before" shots of the stuff I finished in May.  

They look great together, great work. I think either choice would be fine, but having just finished my own Armigers I think they'd be fun to do :thumbsup:

If you wish to vow for the ETL you've not got much time to make your first, rules are here. The short version is; make a pledge of legal unit(s) from a codex along with a "before" shot, and be sure to finish with your "after" picture before the deadline :wink:

Thanks for the ETL info!  That looks like fun!  I will have to get some "before" pics today then and get a vow going!  Too bad I don't have any "before" shots of the stuff I finished in May.  

Make sure to get your first vow in before June 1st, as that's the close date for entry!  You can always do more vows after (up to five) but if you don't get at least one in before the deadline then it's a no-go.

Alright, I have a couple in-progress shots of my Armiger Warglaive!  I haven't settled on a House name/symbol yet, but they will be working alongside Forge world Illuminatum as well as on their own.  I only have base coats (most), but need tons of touch-ups and all the shading/highlighting....

Armiger Warglaive In progress2

Armiger Warglaive In progress1

Interesting colour choice opposite the deep purple from your Mechanicus units!  Are there any Questoris- or Dominus-chassis "big brothers" in the wings?

I wanted something distinct but which would still match! Some similarities like black and silver parts and blue power sources. I have one more Armiger Warglaive ready and a host of larger and similar sized varieties on the way! That is part of the reason I am working out a color scheme now.

White looks good :thumbsup:

Absolutely, just surprised to see such a departure from the initial scheme.  Look forward to seeing them all come together!

Just adding a group shot of the current AdMech + Armiger Warglaive from my game yesterday.  It was a fun team game and the new Warglaive added a nice melee unit to help get in my opponents face and even took an objective from a 5-man space marine squad. 

40 PL group Pic resized

• 4 weeks later...

Working on some Kastelan robots, but they are not done yet.  However, I have been in the mood to tackle my fulgurite electropriest conversion project.  Overall, I think they are okay models, but I am not a fan of the heads.  So, I got the inspiration to make their heads look like the blessed symbol of the Adeptus Mechanics -sacred skull and cog as my avatar.  Particularly since they already had a cog halo.  So I used orc skulls from the skulls box, cut off the front of the skull, cut off the face of the electropriest and glued the skull mask on the priest.  Then I trimmed the side fangs and cheekbones, flattened the front teeth, and filled in the gap -to make it look more human.  Then the mechanical inputs were made with an optical lense and cable implant.  While they don't need eyes, the Forgeworld needs data recorded from all entities and optical implants made sense!  So, here are the first 5, with one close-up of the leader.  I have 5 more in the queue.  I will paint their heads black/white like the symbol and give the lense and empty skull socket blue glows, like the rest of my forces.

Fulgurite electropriests

Fulgurite electropriest

Archived