Raven Guard Lists From London GT

seriade

1 - no

2 & 3 - yes

I don’t hate Soup, I’m just not a fan for competitive play. In my opinion Competitve play should be mono-Dex. It’s best way to test each and make adjustment so every army ends up actually on equal footing. What’s the point system for if it’s inaccurate all the time?

That said I can live with competitve Soups but Supreme Command is too easy to abuse in Match Play and Rule of Three is no help in this instance. That Detachment just needs to go in competitive play in my opinion. There are other ways to get those choices. I thinks it’s a bit overkill that Battalions can have as many HQ choices as Troops, and Brigades can have up to 5.

Mines probably not the right answer in a bigger picture but I don’t think it’s a crazy solution either ... and it could be I would just like to once see the Vanilla Marine Codex as a top three competitively (No, Bobby G doesn’t count) I’d like to see a game where Marine Troops were effective even relatively close to the fluff - which might be why I hold a grudge for the Custodes ;)

Supreme command has one key part thoigh, allowing astra Militarum traits on a super-heavy. Even there I think there should be a way to take A baneblade with whatever trait in a easier way, but, ehhh.

• 2 weeks later...

The results are in!  Those of you with a paid BCP subscription can go peruse with your hearts content.  Those of us without can get a bit of information elsewhere.  Nick Nanavati had a reasonable breakdown here:

https://thebrownmagic.com/2018/05/22/london-gt-results-breakdown/

Space Marines- Even Space Marines made an appearance with 2 different builds, 1 being a classic Guilliman gunline with lots of razorbacks and a leviathin dread, whilst the other was ravenguard with 18 infiltrating aggressors and 3 shield captains for counter charge.

I believe the list in reference from the earlier Google Doc is:

PLAYER NAME: Patrik Sanfilippo

ARMY FACTIONS: Imperium
TOTAL COMMAND POINTS: 10
TOTAL ARMY POINTS:  1997 pts

Battalion Detachment,Raven Guard [653 Points] + 5 CP
HQ1: Kyvan Shrike (150), Raven’s talon(0), frag grenades(0), krak grenades(0) - [150pts]
HQ2: Lieutenant with jump pack (78), power fists(12), chainsword(0), bolt pistol(0), frag grenades(0), krak grenades(0) - [90pts]
Troop1: 5 Scouts Squad (55), 5x combat knife(0, 1 on Sergeant), 5x bolt pistol(0, one on Sergeant), 5x frag grenades(0), 5 krak grenades(0) – [55pts]
Troop2: 5 Scouts Squad (55), 5x combat knife(0, 1 on Sergeant), 5x bolt pistol(0, one on Sergeant), 5x frag grenades(0), 5 krak grenades(0) – [55pts]
Troop3: 5 Intercessors (18), 5x bolt rifle(0, 1 on Sergeant), 5x frag grenades(0), 5 krak grenades(0), axillary grenade launcher(1) – [91pts]
Troop4: 5 Intercessors (18), 5x bolt rifle(0, 1 on Sergeant), 5x frag grenades(0), 5 krak grenades(0), axillary grenade launcher(1) – [91pts]
HS1: Thunderfire Cannon(55), techmarine gunner(26), 2x  servo-arms(24), bolt pistol(0), plasma cutter(7), flamer(9) – [121pts]

Vanguard Detachment,Raven Guard [864Points] +1CP
HQ1: Captain with jump pack(93), thunder hammer(21), storm shield(15), bolt pistol(0), frag grenades(0), krak grenades(0), storm of fire warlord trait, WARLORD* - [129pts]
Elite1: 6 Aggressors Squad (126),6x auto boltstorm gauntlets(72, 1 on Sergeant), 6x fragstorm grenade launcher(24, one on Sergeant) - [222pts]
Elite2: 6 Aggressors Squad (126),6x auto boltstorm gauntlets(72, 1 on Sergeant), 6x fragstorm grenade launcher(24, one on Sergeant) - [222pts]
Elite3: 6 Aggressors Squad (126),6x auto boltstorm gauntlets(72, 1 on Sergeant), 6x fragstorm grenade launcher(24, one on Sergeant) - [222pts]
Elite4: Primaris Ancient(69), bolt rifle(0), bolt pistol(0), frag grenades(0), krak grenades(0), Standard of the emperor ascendant RELIC* ­­­­– [69pts]

Supreme Command Detachment, Adeptus Custodes [480 Points] +1 CP
HQ 1: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike(150), inceptor lance(0), hurricane bolter(10) – [160pts]
HQ 2: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike(150), inceptor lance(0), hurricane bolter(10) – [160pts]
HQ 3: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike(150), inceptor lance(0), hurricane bolter(10) – [160pts]

**Almost** a pure Raven Guard list!  A few interesting notes:

- 18 Aggressors with Storm of Fire and SftS is scary stuff.  Though I'm curious what the stategy was when he got T2.  Perhaps since there was **always** LOS blocking terrain in the center of the board he hid behind it.
 - No long range dedicated anti-tank.  Powerfists on the Aggressors, Lances on the Bikes, and Thunder Hammer / Powerfist characters.
 - Both Shrike and a captain smash.  I'm curious how the reroll bubbles, positioning, and SftS was done
 - One thuderfire cannon for it's excellent stratagem
 - 2x scouts for grabbing StfS space
 - 2x Intercessors for objectives
 - If you StfS the Aggressors, captain, Lt, and Ancient then you're down 4 CP from 10.  At least one more CP for a relic for the captains and you're down to 3 from 10.  That leaves a tad bit for Custodes stratagems or a few Tremor Shells.

It's pretty cool to see this in the top tables at the GT!  Though I'm worried with how much Aggressors are starting to become popular that Chapter Approved will hit them with the nerf bat.  I've finally got six of mine painted up and they look pretty cool.

I doubt you’ll see anything in a vanilla Marine nerfed. Its the RG stratagem that makes Aggressors effective in this list. Any other Chapter and they won’t be near as effective. Same could be said for other Primaris favorite Hellblasters. It just happens until a reasonable cost effective vehicle is available to Primaris SftS is the best/only option to deliver them into the battlefield position.

Raven Guard represent!  :tu:  Would love to see pics of the army ...

Yet, I don't think he could have done it without the Custodes, which makes them a crutch.  Burn.

OH, I WENT THERE AND I'M STAYING THERE :lol:

I have been running a very similar list, with the exception of fewer Aggressors and added a Dread firebase to give me more long range mild anti tank.

The Shield Captains serve a very specific role: They are fast, durable, have obsec, and can clear out MSU units quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately we don't really have anything in our Codex that can do something similar. 

The funny thing about a list like his is that while he doesn't have any dedicated AT, you would be surprised how many T7 or less vehicles you can kill with 342 Bolter shots that reroll hits and wound rolls of one, along with Storm of Fire.

I intend to purchase 6 more Aggressors and play this list a bit. I have been looking for an excuse to commit to even more Aggressors :) 

I'd love to see his tactics. I'm wondering if you face high toughness if you ditch the shoot twice and move / shoot / charge with fists. Though to be fair no tournament army won't have screening.

I think after I get about six months table top experience to knock the rust off, this is the list I want to take to my first tournament ... which means purchasing a brother for the RG Contemptor but I'm sure one of the other FW models will be almost as bad ass (Duz) looking ;)

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [71 PL, 1150pts] ++
**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks <Raven Guard>

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 106pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist, The Armour Indomitus

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 70pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Combat knife
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [44 PL, 849pts] ++
**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks <Raven Guard>

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 92pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle
. Warlord: Storm of Fire

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 75pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 206pts]
. Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 206pts]
. Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon

++ Total: [115 PL, 1999pts] ++

Hellblasters SftS with the Aggressors and the two Shadow Captains while the Warlord and Lieutenant impersonate Bobby G with the backfield gunline. I really like the Mortis Contemptor. As a team I think they can give a Knight a challenge.  At the same time the Aggressors and Hellblaster make a sweet combo when supported with a Captain. One of the two forward deployed units are going to be toast but that means the Dreads and ObSec units will likely be getting their job done. Theoryhammer of course ...  I just have to believe there is a list that be competitive that doesn't require Shield Captains. Now if they ever give me some Primaris with Grav-bikes I'll ahve to start over from scratch ;)

Archived