Strikki's Blood Angels WIP

Strikki

Hi There

I am creating this WIP thread in order to register the progress of my work and, hopefully, remain motivated to keep concluding it.

Time for the hobby is short as i have two sons (2 and 3 years old), so i need to plan to make the most out of it.

I am trying to create a Primaris sized Blood Angels army.

As i love the special units of the Blood Angels (Sanguinary Guard and Death Company) i am planning on perform some conversions to have them at Primaris Size.

Sanguinary Guard      - Stormcast Prosecutors

Death Company          - Primaris Reavers

Blood Angels Captain  - Primaris Captain

To get me started, i've bought the Marine part of Dark imperium, a Prosecutors box and a Sanguinary Guard box.

I've already managed to make some work:

Sanguinary Guard

IMG 5572

IMG 5571

IMG 5570

IMG 5568

The head and wings are fixed with bostik and will get removed to allow for better paiting.

Captain

IMG 5576

IMG 5577

IMG 5578

Captain has a new Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield and Jump Pack

Hope you enjoy it

Will try to keep updating

Thank you for the comments.

Regarding the paint scheme, at least for the red, i'm looking at the recipes from Eggroll on Dakka, and our own Luthermax.

I, quite simply, think they are 2 very good versions of what i want my red to look.

I do have an airbrush, but i really need to improve my skill with it before i imagine myself doing something similar to them.

Nevertheless, im going to try out some schemes before commiting to something on the captain.

Regarding the Sanguinary Guard, i still have not found a paint recipe via airbrush that i throughly enjoy.

It seems that Gold is somewhat hard to shadow and highlight (diferent versions of Gold seem all the same when put on top of each other).

I'm thinking of using some bronze or copper as shadow, and a mix of gold and silver as highlight.

The ETL.......

I've been looking at it, i wont deny. 

But i really did not want to go Death Company on my first try.

Next week, i'll get my kids vacations sorted. If I see a spot opening, i'l surely commit to a vow.

The wings on the captain are from puppetswar (link below)

https://puppetswar.eu/search.php?search_query=wing&n=45&submit_search=Search

Best regards

The wings on the captain are from puppetswar (link below)

https://puppetswar.eu/search.php?search_query=wing&n=45&submit_search=Search

Interesting. thanks for the info. Did you have any problems attaching the jump pack to the marine body?

You are welcome.

It is not much of a trouble.

The slot were it is supposed to fit is to high, and you have to attach the jump pack higher to compensate for this (I do think it looks better set up higher)

I used a little piece of green stuff to make the lower part smooth, and then it easily fits the back of the Captain.

I've googled a bit and came about this webpage:

http://www.sg-lynx.net/?p=1106#more-1106

If you go to the comments, you can see pictures of the owner attaching it to the back of a regular space marine.

best regards

A good start to your blog/plog :tu:

If you have any questions - be it the gaming, painting, or the events we host, feel free to ask :tu:

With regards to the ETL painting competition mentioned earlier, new participants can pledge anytime up to the 1st June, with the competition ending on the 1st August. This gives you loads of time should you be intersted :)

Good afternoon

Today i had some time and tried two red paint schemes

The first one is based on a recipe by Luthermax

1) Vallejo black undercoat

2) Vallejo Surface primer German Red brown 73.605

3) Vallejo Surface primer German Dark Yellow 73.604

4) Vallejo Model Air Red 71.102

Now, i am doing something wrong in this.

Although i can see the difference between the shade and the highlight, it is very soft.

I think i am spraying a layer to thick of red in step 4.

gallery_107637_14562_35078.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_393746.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_1117405.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_351895.jpg

The second one is a recipe by Eggroll in Dakka

1) Vallejo Black undercoat

2) Vallejo Model air Fire Red 71.084

3) Vallejo Game air Bloody Red 71.710

4) Citadel Air Evil Sunz Scarlet

This one is brighter

But i can really see the difference between the shades and the highlights

gallery_107637_14562_276785.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_1125035.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_215610.jpg

gallery_107637_14562_895893.jpg

I think i am more inclined towards the second version.

I am surely also going to ask the wife, as these guys will hopefully be on display in the house.

I wanted to know your opinion of what you enjoy more, or even some advice in other combination

Best regards

From memory (and I tried a couple of variations of Luther’s approach when starting mine), he also adds a light grey or white highlight before the yellow (as that yellow primer isn’t very opaque).

Then also adding a black or blue recess wash with brush before the red. That red is virtually magenta so over bright yellow highlights and dark blue shade you get a very nice effect and more contrast.

I wussed out and went with a Mephiston red zenithal over German red as it’s more forgiving on touch ups but definitely lacks the depth that Luther gets.

I like the second one because the details are much more visible due to the contrast between the lighter and darker colors. The first one kinda looks more flat... or at least appears that way in the pictures.

Archived