Spagunk's ETL VI paint thread.

Spagunk

Hello everyone,

This is my ETL VI thread to toss in various pics and musing as I work through my vows.

To start, here is my first vow and progress picture:

gallery_40907_9492_87937.jpg

Progress 1:

gallery_40907_9492_135050.jpg

Now currently I am working on the second half of this squad. In between what painting I can get in, I have been trying to update my transfer game a bit. So as a test I bought some Liquitex Gloss medium and did a 3:1 mix of gloss to water. Using Saint Duncans method of gloss coat, transfer then matte coat I set up a test figure to verify if that method will work for me. Once done, I then did some foam to stipple some layer red on the figure to nice effect. Here is my test mini:

gallery_40907_9492_15065.jpg

I think it works and so my next step is to use this method as often as I can. The trick for me is to be patient which is REAL difficult for me to master as the closer I get to finishing, the more I tend to power through all the detail work and stuff.

Anyway, currently my eyes were dilated so no painting today for me. I should be better tomorrow and be able to get through some more of the second half of the squad. Need to start putting base color besides red (blacks, tabards/scrolls, silvers etc.) on them.After that, I can start working on detail work and the like.

Bit of a side question... what process do you do for working on bases separately? 

I tend to put pins in first, then build texture around (which is a bit fiddly & time consuming) - it looks like you use blutac or something to mask an area for the feet?

Looking good!

If you want to improve on the decal "painted on" look, then I highly recommend using Micro Sol and Micro Set, they really make the transparent decal film "melt away".

Here is a tutorial:

Looking good!

If you want to improve on the decal "painted on" look, then I highly recommend using Micro Sol and Micro Set, they really make the transparent decal film "melt away".

Here is a tutorial:

Yeah, I already know about that. In fact, I know the recipe they use to make it. However I think the vial I have is partially evaporated because it was definitely not working as well as it had in the past. Definitely something people should be using often.

Bit of a side question... what process do you do for working on bases separately? 

I tend to put pins in first, then build texture around (which is a bit fiddly & time consuming) - it looks like you use blutac or something to mask an area for the feet?

Actually I don't use blue tack. I have course pumice from Vallejo and when i put them on the base, I kind of grind out a spot where the feet go. Then, when it dries, it leaves enough of an impression that I can glue the feet in afterwards.

The reason you see the white paint in the first picture is that I had to pre-glue figures onto them to qualify for the Blood and Zeal competition so that's actually primer on the foot you're seeing.

Right - yeah, that makes sense. Do you get a good bond when sticking them back on later? Or does the older glue crust make that harder to stick? 

I had a few older ones pop off (mainly single-leg-on-ground poses) so have been a bit anal about pinning everything these days. 

Right - yeah, that makes sense. Do you get a good bond when sticking them back on later? Or does the older glue crust make that harder to stick? 

I had a few older ones pop off (mainly single-leg-on-ground poses) so have been a bit anal about pinning everything these days. 

The bond is kind of weedy for the most part. But that's kind of the downside of using superglue. However given how I do this, I don't see a way to use plastic glue for a good grip.

On the plus side, it helps that my older models are easy to pop off the base to transfer to 32mm instead of 25mm.

Thanks so much for posting these ETL updates, Spagunk. I was able to get some initial undercoats on my vows over the weekend (pics will be incoming on the other thread). I really like the effect on the black banner, I may need to steal that for a future vow...

Anyway, these posts are inspiring and helping me get over any hesitancy to get some base coats slapped on!

Thanks so much for posting these ETL updates, Spagunk. I was able to get some initial undercoats on my vows over the weekend (pics will be incoming on the other thread). I really like the effect on the black banner, I may need to steal that for a future vow...

Anyway, these posts are inspiring and helping me get over any hesitancy to get some base coats slapped on!

Happy to help any way I can. The black banner is actually a throw back from ye old 3rd edition days to mark veteran sergeants. I then opted to use yellow blood drop/wings for a bit more color. Red border instead of white because I think it works better with the model.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for little updates but I have a dying cat we've been trying to nurse and it's taking a lot of our free time. I was able to get a good amount done but we are still having a hard time.

Hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Sorry for little updates but I have a dying cat we've been trying to nurse and it's taking a lot of our free time. I was able to get a good amount done but we are still having a hard time.

Hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Sorry for that brother those are hard times indeed.

Here is my progress so far:

gallery_40907_9492_217249.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_283720.jpg

So second tac squad done:

gallery_40907_9492_8724.jpg

That just leaves the promised foot captain to do.

The slow progress has been mostly due to work searching stuff and in the past 2 weeks my cat dying. We had to put her down last night so I couldn't finish these guys yesterday. I am hoping that I can get the captain done in about 2 days so I can go slow enough to make him look decent. Then, it's on to vow 2 which, depending on how I accomplish it, may be quick.

Sorry about your cat Spagunk. Losing a pet is always tough. I always try to tell myself that at least they're no longer hurting, but it does take time for the pain to ease.

No need to apologise for painting slowly (you're still 10 times faster than me!) - real life trumps models, every time, we've all been there. 

But I do like the sound of Captain Tigger McFluffWhiskers (insert cat name here)

Archived