Spagunk's ETL VI paint thread.

Spagunk

Your Vanguard Vets are beautifully painted, but why are they wearing the Sanguinary Guard's gold-painted jump packs?

Sanguinary guard have single engine packs. They have gold dual packs to mark them as elites.

I thought it was gold helmets to mark veterans.

Spagunk can plausibly claim the Blood Angels have different ways of denoting Veteran status- Sanguinius' sons don't follow the Codex Astartes as slavishly as most others, anyways. (I'm still bitter with how Matt Ward described Blood Angels in 5th Edition's 'Codex: Space Marines'.)

3rd edition veteran assault squads wore yellow helmets but had Crux terminatus to denote 1st company vet status. A couple of them on here do have one. The gold was my way to make them visually distinct from normal assault Marines.

Your Vanguard Vets are beautifully painted, but why are they wearing the Sanguinary Guard's gold-painted jump packs?

Sanguinary guard have single engine packs. They have gold dual packs to mark them as elites.
3rd edition does not do this and most of my squads follow 3rd edition schemes somewhat. So my line troops all have black bordered should pads even though 4th-8th uses red. I make small changes here and there for my personal tastes though so I carry things from time to time. So my line troops use silver chest eagles. However troops from other companies (2nd company or 1st company) even have the old orange yellow chest eagles that 3rd edition used. Sternguard, being largely a 4th/5 edition thing are going to get gold helmets. I think 3rd edition veteran Marines just had red so gold helmets will make them more distinct.

I very much like the way you paint melta barrels. How do you do those?

Great job!

It's actually pretty crappy in person. It's just a dry brush gold, wash of carroburg crimson and the last bit is drakenhof nightshade. Honestly, I don't much like the effect and want to try something else.

Archived