New Necron Superheavy

NTaW

Back in action! The model's been painted and one of it's weapons stats have been revealed. 

FWPreview-Sep24-Ceraptek-1jkv.jpg

FWPreview-Sep24-Details1-2od.jpg

FWPreview-Sep24-WeaponProfile-6pl.jpg

The pictures and paint job aren't really doing a great job of showing off the detail of the model but it looks pretty damn cool anyway. Weapon is OK, seems sort of underwhelming as a superheavy weapon but it's better than many of the other options available. Worth noting it likely has two of them and this may be part of a more shots/less damage loadout.

Assuming 3+ to hit against a knight

3d3 averages at 6 shots.

3+ = 4 hits

4+ to wound = 2 wounding hits and 4++ save saves 1. D6 wounds = 3.5 and 2 guns makes a total of 7.

However against any t7 vehicle without a ++ save the numbers are much better with a 3+ to wound and only a 6+ save.

4 hits 2.67 wounds and 2.2 through armour and the 7.7 wounds or around 15 wounds for two guns, That's basically a vehicle a turn on average.

We're assuming that the other weapon options aren't better at dealing with big targets like knights Maybe rocking an s14 or better and 2d6 damage per wounding hit etc.

We'll see how things pan out as I really like the model and would love to have one for next year's ETL.

• 2 weeks later...

She’s up for preorder.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Necron-Seraptek-Heavy-Construct-with-Synaptic-Obliterators-and-Transdimensional-Projectors

And some rules as well.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads//Forgeworld_Necron_Seraptek_Datasheet.pdf

Much better then I thought. I think competitively, it may be hard to fit in a list with our current points costs, but it looks like it should be fine in a fun game.

It’s CC is really good I feel. Fast movement, and getting the 2 attack profiles is awesome.

The guns it comes with are what I wanted. Long range AT I what I feel I usually lack the most. And it comes with some good short range shooting. I think it’s better then the sneak peek reveal weapon.

Curious to see if it will get different weapons over time, as it looks like they are selling them separately at some point?

Its definitely an expensive model, but I suppose coming out of FW, it could have been worse.

Edit: corrected AA to AT.

Yeah it's underwhelming guns, but aside from volume of shots it's what I wanted. It averages about 9 damage on a Knight from shooting, but 20 in close combat. I'm buying one immediately (happened to come out at an ideal time for me) so hopefully I can give anecdotal evidence soonish. It's a real beauty but I don't expect a ton from it.

If only those 3d3 guns were assault....

I’m interested in getting one at some point, so I’ll be looking forward to your review. I’ve put my crons aside for DeathWatch lately, but if they get some chapter approved love, they’ll be next in line again.

I'm glad it can benefit from Codes with the <dynasty> keyword. There's a pretty interesting balance between the weapons, I think if I bought it I would get the 6d3 option to guarantee a higher minimum rate of fire and to make it a bit more granular getting to the maximum rate of fire (18 shots total either option).

Not a flop rules wise I'd say. Sautekh or bust though.

I think Nihilakh and Novokh would both benefit the Seraptek very well. 72” guns don’t have to move, and rerolling all failed hits in combat on that platform? Plus attacking again? There’s potential there. Mephrit too, but at some point AP mods stop being important and start being silly, as anything with a 2+ armor save has an invuln before you negate the armor entirely.

I just wish any of those guns weren't random. All our good AA guns are super swingy and I wish these weren't, too.

The second option isn't swingy. 4 shots on average wounding everything on a 2 and dealing 6 damage per shot. Pretty reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw something interesting on Fb. A person mentioned that Superheavy Auxiliary Detachments don't benefit from Dynastic Codes so I looked it up and sure enough, pg. 180:

"All NECRONS Detachments (excluding Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachments) gain the following abilities"

Looks like the only way to enjoy Codes with this new walker is via full on Superheavy or Supreme Command Detachments. I don't have any big models for either of my armies so this is news to me.

I think the same is true about Guard superheavies. I might be mistaken on that, though.

That rule is extra confusing on a Tesseract Vault. The codex says that although C'tan shards can never benefit from dynastic codes they don't screw up detachments. I think that was written with Deceiver/Nightbringer in mind but the Vault has dynastic codes and the C'tan shard keyword, so I've always played it that it can't have codes just to be safe.

I too always assumed the Vault never got a code because of the C'TAN SHARD keyword. I guess if we want Codes to apply to our superheavies (read: Seraptek, Pylon, Obelisk) we have to pay the unit tax.

I feel like I could use two Pylons and a Seraptek walker in a list though. Say goodbye to my anti-tank problems! *rolls consecutive 1's for every weapon's shot values* :laugh.: :facepalm:

So far, I have run it against a couple knight lists, and it really depends on who goes first. the 5+ save is not that great and as you might imagine, a knight shooting list going first has a good chance to cripple or kill it first turn. I armed it with the 2 weapon option (forget the name), and in my first game I got to go first. Shot one regular knight off the board, and put a couple wounds on another. Having access to damage override helped a lot. As return fire from the castellan was painful. Next turn I was able to shoot another knight away, and the bugger was fast enough to close the gap with the castellan and chop it up in combat in the same turn. 2 turns, 3 and a half knights worth of damage. 

My takeaways: I like this weapon as an all around gun for allcomers. Gives you more targets, and the main guns have that longer range just in case someone parks a baneblade in the far corner. If I am going to invest 600 pts in something, I greatly value the ability to reach out and damage multiple targets.The other guns feel more geared toward superheavies. It's not that tough with a 5++ and with no way to buff the toughness any further. Which may be fine, considering the speed and combat ability outclasses most other superheavys. I mean...even in non-super heavy battles, having 18 sweep attacks all the time(since your attacks never go down with damage), is super nice. I really want to try it out against non-knight armies. 

Having witnessed this unit, I'd say it's a big winner. It's very, very fast. There's a Strat, I forget it's name, that allows it to function as if it hasn't taken any damage I believe. I think people underestimate the damage this deals because they use a Castellan with 3++ as the measure of defence.

This offers a significant new dynamic to a Necron army and really it can do work independently. The trick is to not make it the obvious target for an opponent, or to have a second unit/units that represent a substantial threat that will split enemy firepower. Will an opponent dedicated all his firepower to take it down if 6 Wraiths have deployed 9" away from his key units using the Deceiver's ability to redeploy?

Having witnessed this unit, I'd say it's a big winner. It's very, very fast. There's a Strat, I forget it's name, that allows it to function as if it hasn't taken any damage I believe. I think people underestimate the damage this deals because they use a Castellan with 3++ as the measure of defence.

This offers a significant new dynamic to a Necron army and really it can do work independently. The trick is to not make it the obvious target for an opponent, or to have a second unit/units that represent a substantial threat that will split enemy firepower. Will an opponent dedicated all his firepower to take it down if 6 Wraiths have deployed 9" away from his key units using the Deceiver's ability to redeploy?

No one will shoot wraiths that can't charge instead of a Seraptek.

No one will shoot wraiths that can't charge instead of a Seraptek.

Depends on who's going first at this point. If the Necron player isn't going first then he's throwing the unit away. If he is, even if they cant charge the opponent only has 1 shooting phase before he gets charged and thus can't ignore them at all.

So No, they won't be ignored.

No one is going to prioritize dealing with what could be a moderate threat next turn when they have a major threat right now to deal with.

On top of that, you're talking about spending 1200 points to get one round of shooting. Not worth it.

Archived