Custodes of the Dread Host

Hey everyone, thought I'd make my first WIP thread for my Custodes to help motivate me to finish. I've decided on the Dread Host as I wanted something slightly different from the standard gold/red and also their fluff is pretty cool.

med_gallery_27469_14575_167053.png
Naturally the ETL has been the incentive to get this army started at last. Here is a rundown of the models:

Captain-General Trajann Valoris

Shield Captain in Allarus Terminator Armour w/Axe

Custodian Guard Squad w/Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield & 2x Guardian Spear

Custodian Guard Squad w/Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield & 2x Guardian Spear

Custodian Guard Squad w/2x Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield & 2x Guardian Spear

Allarus Custodians w/5x Castellan Axe

Custodian Wardens w/5x Castellan Axe

Vertus Praetors w/2x Salvo Launcher, Hurricane Bolter

This is the basics of a 2000pt list which I'll then add to with more models to increase my options. For example I plan on raiding Forge World for some of their sweet Dreadnoughts :biggrin.:

Here is the start of the army, I hope to make some progress in the next few weeks to show.

Custodes ETL VI 2

Custodes ETL VI

Cheers WF! Essentially the Dread Host are the Custodes who have never heard of the word 'moderation' - they turn up in force and wreck the enemy. Ostensibly to teach them not to threaten the Imperium again but I question it's effectiveness: when they've killed everyone there is no-one left to learn the lesson :P

I have some prior 40K commitments then I'm away for a week at the end of the month but come June I will be aiming to start showing some progress.

Ack! WarriorFish and Captain Semper both looming over my shoulder? Better make sure I don't fail this one :sweat: Many thanks Semper, I shall hopefully do the models justice as they really are spectacular. I'm gonna try and push my hobby craft on the bases to match the quality models... but I won't reveal anything yet. Just in case I royally muck it up, then I can pretend that whatever my Plan B is was the original plan all along :teehee:

Nice! I did mine as the Dread Host also. The bits of black make the gold pop a bit more. I did black shoulders and a black stripe on thier helms.

Ah! I did a search for 'Dread Host' on the forum but now I realise I only did it in the Agents part so I missed your excellent thread :sweat: My other 40K commitment is almost at an end so I'm gonna try and start on the Custodes before I go away next week. I'll have to nail down the exact scheme before mass producing it after all.

I took a day off work and got quite a bit done - I've now nailed down my paint recipe :biggrin.: The base was a bit trial and error but now I know what I'm doing the rest should be better :thumbsup: I'm pleased I've done it before I go away, I aim to start batch production in a couple of weeks when I get back.

med_gallery_27469_14575_326847.jpg

med_gallery_27469_14575_535674.jpg

med_gallery_27469_14575_529301.jpg

med_gallery_27469_14575_238379.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made progress over the weekend. Takes forever getting the base coat stuff done, but the gold is complete and I should soon get the black finished and can start making tangible progress :smile.:

med_gallery_27469_14575_43721.jpg

9 Custodes look quite nice together - it's a pleasant gold. Thinking of breaking them down into 3 batches of 3 models rather than do them all at once. It was a bit of a drag doing that with the gold and now black :tongue.: Will do the bases last all together, eager to get these done and started on the more special models!

Cheers Black Orange! I actually have a game of 40K on Saturday but I aim to dedicate Sunday to getting these 3 done and perhaps getting the next 3 well on the way :)

It has taken longer than I thought to paint these guys, but I have to remind myself that my vow of just over 2000 points is a grand total of just 25 models... so once the 10 Custodes are done I'm well on the way to finishing!

So I made a plan, and I think it was a sensible one. However since I am a maverick rogue loose canon who doesn't play be the rules, not even their own rules, I then ignored the plan and went and did something different.

The three Custodian Guard I had well on the way haven't been touched but instead the rest have had the black basework done. Helmets are nearly finished too - so I appear to be going for a production line and getting them all done in one go :happy.: The important thing is that progress has been made! I've not quite realised how far we are into the ETL and I need to get a move on :yes:

med_gallery_27469_14575_316301.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers! Sometimes I don't like my good camera phone as it does highlight some things which normally you won't spot when using your peepers in person :ermm: Still, I am an average painter and I'm pleased with what I've done. Besides this one guy has taken up enough of my time!

I shall endeavour to actually finished the 9 Custodes I have on the go right now. I've prepared some bases for them this evening :happy.:

med_gallery_27469_14575_1208493.jpg