Custodes of the Dread Host

Cheers Kolgrim! :D I made a bit of progress this weekend:

med_gallery_27469_14575_1181520.jpg

Undercoat and first coat done. Unfortunately I lost one of the Lastrum Bolters in my garage somewhere... could have been worse I guess as I found everything else. Garage is a bit of a tip from all the DIY I've been doing but hopefully it will turn up!

• 3 months later...

More progress! I need to sit down and have a rest, all this painting is unusal :teehee:

med_gallery_27469_14575_994785.jpg

He's quite tall! Towering over an Allarus. Should look great on the table and stand out! Got some tidying up to do and washes still, not to mention the base. It's exciting to almost have finished a model again after so long :happy.: Happier with both pouldrons being black too, it was a bit more effort but definitely worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Done! :biggrin.: Well, a few touch ups needed here and there but ready for a 500pts game tomorrow :thumbsup: Will get another one eventually, they are pretty cool if a bit of a pain to assemble. I'll get a better pose done with the benefit of experience.

med_gallery_27469_14575_109967.jpg

Just noticed the cable I missed on the spear :rolleyes: Anyway, once again I now have all my Custodes models painted which is a pretty good feeling. If only I could get there with all my other armies too :happy.:

I was wondering when we'd see this again, nice work! I think a little bit extra would be worth adding to the base later, as a larger base usually needs a few bits here and there to spice it up. If making/finding some fallen masonry is a bit too much work you can't go wrong with some water effect and skulls to fill "gaps" :tu:

Yeah both works better and matches the infantry scheme. I think you might have stolen my productivity as I've not done anything since...

Fantasy skulls = xenos, mutant, daemon skulls

I’m sure Custodes would gladly rid the Imperium of such filth.

Cheers Bjorn! It takes some effort but it's worth it. The bigger and heavier the model is the more damaged I make the tiles :yes:

Skulls would be simple to add but I'm concerned they'd look a bit out of place on their own, I will have to think about what I want to add to the bases carefully. I don't want to ruin the tiling I've spent ages on :sweat:

I've found that spending the extra effort to submerge skulls goes a long way to making them look better (and if you're cheeky, this can let you get two for the price of one sometimes :tongue.: ). In your case some non-tiled or broken bits to "embed" a skull in would work best. For the tiles the skulls would sit on top, so that's actually easier for it.

I agree that you don't want too many skulls, but that just means you need other bits. From water effect (which is really good as it can work with anything), to various other bits or helmets you can keep the variety up. Maybe chopping up some sprues to create some rubble/masonry would be best as the more standard piece?

If you have spare slot bases (I think everyone does? :laugh.: ) trying out ideas on them is a good idea, it's how I trial my basing schemes without risking any models :smile.:

How about putting a headless Chaos cultist (or other enemy of the Emperor) at the Dreadnought's feet, so it looks like the Dreadnought killed this enemy by knocking him down and then stomping his head into paste? That would explain why he apparently cracked the floor tiles without care- the tiles were a necessary sacrifice to ensure the safety of the Dreadnought's charge.

I love the bases, simple yet effective.

How'd you do the tiles? They look like.... Cardstock almost?

Edit: Just saw that you said they're cheap playing cards. Good to know, I'm going to have to pick up some after I get paid this week :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Cheers Gederas! While I started with playing cards I ran out and swapped to simple card. You have to be more careful cutting it as it doesn't keep it's edges well. I actually used the card from the GW boxes :sweat: You did remind me I need to get more playing cards though, as I aim to re-do the bases at some point to make them tidier :tu: