adb deathwatch comic

hummus

I read part 1. It's short, simple, and introduces the basics of the characters and the problem they face after a routine minor xenos purge goes afoul. Nothing too crazy. I'll be picking up the others as they release because I enjoy ADB, but I wouldn't say there was anything in it that made me, as an experienced 40k fan, go, "I can't wait for part 2!"

https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/my-deathwatch-comic/

It’s in my pull list so I will have to wait until the end of the month to get it. Warhammer comics have always been on the dodgy side.

In Black Library the writers go all out to put you in a world that feels as real they can make it. Comics are a medium that don’t really do realism so putting something I’m used to in a novel into a comic can, for me, feel rather awkward. But I like comics so I keep giving them a go!

He's already part of another one, called Road to Jove.

It's been a while since I last checked but its cool. Post apocalyptic, sentient robots. Could be a tale of the Age of Strife. :P

• 4 weeks later...
There is little or no story revealed. Very poor. It arrived with the marvel Darth Vader and the new marvel Lando comics and deathwatch doesn’t even compare. The art is pretty cool. Particularly on the deathwatch citadel but that’s about it.

There is little or no story revealed. Very poor. It arrived with the marvel Darth Vader and the new marvel Lando comics and deathwatch doesn’t even compare. The art is pretty cool. Particularly on the deathwatch citadel but that’s about it.

To be fair they build on much bigger things, and probably cost a lot more in development.... A better comparison might be within the IP, to old comics from the 90s/early 00s? That wonderful Blood Angels comic, Daemonifuge, the Redeemer one and Kal Jericho?

The writer did very little to be fair. There is literally so little narrative to the story in the comic the writer contributed very little.

The production quality is superb, so much so the thickness of the pages would give an impression of a substantial comic, but that’s not the case.

The writer did very little to be fair. There is literally so little narrative to the story in the comic the writer contributed very little.

The production quality is superb, so much so the thickness of the pages would give an impression of a substantial comic, but that’s not the case.

I agree that there is little by way of dialogue but the writer simply doesn't just write the dialogue.  They write the page as it were.... you often see examples of this in the additional material at the end of a graphic novel, will try and fish out an example and post it.

An example from the Fables series in the

fables-21.jpg

v true, rfd. some of the best comics have no/little dialogue with all the details and narrative in the sequential art itself. these days as well, a lot of story telling is “deconstructed” looks towards being collected as a trade rather than a single issue so you get a much slower pace per chapter but as a collection it reads well

that being said, you still need to hook peeps in on the first issue or you might never reach the trade

I agree that there is little by way of dialogue but the writer simply doesn't just write the dialogue. They write the page as it were.... you often see examples of this in the additional material at the end of a graphic novel, will try and fish out an example and post it.

An example from the Fables series in the

fables-21.jpg
Thanks for that it’s interesting to see that type of background writing I’ve not seen that before and I’ve been collecting comics for about 33 years! But I have understood the process involved.

The dialogue is one thing but in the comic under discussion there is not only little dialogue but very little story. Anyway I cancelled my subscription to the rest of the series today so I will have to follow the thoughts of others on this thread!

Yes...the writer scripts all the plot details of the comic. He essentially tells the artist what to draw.

I think ADB is a good novelist, but he's probably being limited severely by the type of story Titan wants. Something simple with mass appeal, showcasing 40K to non-hardcore fans.

I also really like Abnett as a novelist, but some of his comics are utterly mediocre.

Please note, I'm making zero comment on whether people in the thread like or dislike my Deathwatch stuff. It's reviewing well and I'm sanguine. (Plus, I think it starts slow, too. No beef at all with anyone that dislikes it.)

But...:

Road to Jove never went anywhere.

Several people on social media (who have unfriended you for your consistent nastiness) have messaged me with repeated warnings about replying to your relentless (and, frankly, bizarre) negativity in various places. l still cherish this gem: "The complete hypocrisy of [writing about the Templars] by the guy who wrote some garbage fiction killing Sigismund. Stick to your Chaos fanbois."

(And remember that time you invited me into a Facebook chat with a bunch of your friends so you could call me a bunch of things that the forum filter won't let me repeat? That was great, too.)

So the quality of your feedback always makes it easy to ignore. But I think it's worth saying that "The Road to Jove never went anywhere" is a bit like being mad Star Wars never went anywhere when Luke is still on Tatooine. It's the first chapter. How can it have gone anywhere yet? 

As for the pace, it's a time-consuming side project and involves collaborating with a professional artist who is, to his credit, drowning in freelance work from various IPs. So I'm fine with RtJ going slowly, thanks. We went into it knowing it would take years to finish. 

Archived