adb deathwatch comic

hummus

While your here ADB a few questions!!! Did you enjoy writing Deathwatch? How different or difficult is comic writing than novel writing?

Really enjoyed it! It had its challenges, like all work, but I talked to a bunch of comics guys first (and several, including Dan, were kind enough to give me a load of their scripts to see how they did it). It's also not much different from writing The Road to Jove, except RtJ is a very different tone, obviously. 

The mandate for it was: "A Deathwatch Kill-Team against Orks, in 4 issues." As much as I'd love to have delved into the kind of thing I usually write about in detail, like the nuts and bolts of the setting and the differences between humans and Space Marines, etc., a 4-issue comic miniseries is extremely limited on space. There wasn't a lot of runway to spend on pages of interacting with humans, f'rex, as well as complete Kill-Team mission with various origin flashbacks, and so on.

I've had a few approaches from other publishers since Deathwatch launched, but it comes down to time, time, time. I have very little of it, and I write slowly, so I need to cherry-pick my projects carefully.

I just meant it’s not on Scale with stuff like Dan has done that’s all .

To be fair, if you mean Dan Abnett he's been in comics since the 90's where as this is Aaron's first attempt by the sounds of it. Compressing a story into comic panels is going to take some practice when you're used to writing novels I'd imagine. :)

I've not read this comic yet but to be honest I'm not really a fan of 40k comics unless you count the amazing Daemonifuge, but I've been a huge Kev Walker fan for decades so will be a bit biased there. I'll have to keep an eye open for this and give it a look. 

While your here ADB a few questions!!! Did you enjoy writing Deathwatch? How different or difficult is comic writing than novel writing?

Really enjoyed it! It had its challenges, like all work, but I talked to a bunch of comics guys first (and several, including Dan, were kind enough to give me a load of their scripts to see how they did it). It's also not much different from writing The Road to Jove, except RtJ is a very different tone, obviously. 

The mandate for it was: "A Deathwatch Kill-Team against Orks, in 4 issues." As much as I'd love to have delved into the kind of thing I usually write about in detail, like the nuts and bolts of the setting and the differences between humans and Space Marines, etc., a 4-issue comic miniseries is extremely limited on space. There wasn't a lot of runway to spend on pages of interacting with humans, f'rex, as well as complete Kill-Team mission with various origin flashbacks, and so on.

I've had a few approaches from other publishers since Deathwatch launched, but it comes down to time, time, time. I have very little of it, and I write slowly, so I need to cherry-pick my projects carefully.

I’ve been tempted by this series just because it’s Deathwatch (I had no idea you wrote it). To be honest I didn’t really like the first DW comics because it felt like they were trying too hard to explain a lot of ‘40k universe’ to the new reader. While that’s admirable I wanted something a bit deeper.

Now that I know you wrote it, I’ll definitely try to get my hands on it.

Truthfully I’m surprised you took on the DW. I never thought you’d gravitate towards that sort of project. But now that you have I’m curious if doing this has sparked any kind of desire to do a full novel with Deathwatch?

I realize you’re very busy but it feels like something that might be a fun and different challenge foe you in the 40k universe.

Did you read the 40k novel Deathwatch as research? If so, so what was your take on it?

Archived