help with my next purchase.

hi all, long time lurker, once or twice poster. ;)

Finally got to play my first game with my BT. Does not have much stock but was able to field the following list:

BT 80 pl (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [80 PL, 1546pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain: Bolt pistol, The Crusader's Helm

. . Warlord: The Imperium's Sword

The Emperor's Champion

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad

. . 4x Initiate

. . Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Crusader Squad

. . 2x Initiate

. . Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power axe

. . Sword Brother: Plasma pistol, Power sword

Crusader Squad

. . 2x Initiate w/Chainsword

Crusader Squad

. . 7x Initiate

. . Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Elites +

Dreadnought: Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

+ Fast Attack +

Bike Squad

. . Biker Sergeant: Combi-plasma, Twin boltgun

. . Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon: Meltagun, Twin boltgun

. . Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon: Meltagun, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad

. . Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun/Bolt pistol

. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Predator: Predator autocannon, Two Heavy Bolters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

Razorback: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

Rhino: Storm bolter

Rhino: Storm bolter

Result: I got squashed like a bug. I don't think the list is that bad, but I really play badly which result in crushing defeat turn 2 against Necrons shooting. My years of tyranids push me to go to much forward and not be patient.

So right now I am preparing an order but don't really know what to add. My first thought was to add elites, like th/ss termies and jump pack cc vanguard. Maybe some assault squads with jump pack too.

But in my game against Necron, I feel like my High damage weapon were ok but I was lacking in volume of fire. So I don't know what to get that would help me with this list.

I would prefer not to touch primaris and stay mostly true to the templar ways.

What do you think?

I also have a stormraven, a ironclad, lrc and droppod.

Have a look at some recent threads on the way forward for Templars. The general consensus is that marines just suck this edition, and we suck more than most.

However, looking at your list, I think your problem is your HQ. You have a very shooty list, which isn't a problem. (While we'd all love for Templars to kick arse at close combat again, we don't.) The problem is that the Chaplain does nothing to buff shooty lists, he only buffs assault. Whereas a Marshal (Captain) and a Castellan (Lieutenant) can both buff assault AND shooting. Stick a Marshal in the middle of your gun line, give him the Crusader's Helm, that Warlord trait which adds -1AP for rollings 6s and then upgrade him to a Chapter Master. Suddenly you're re-rolling misses left right and centre and getting that extra AP on your 6s!

I'd recommend, depending on your funds of course, you go for a box of veterans each. Those allow you to build cool characters as Swordbrethren, Castellans (Lieutenants) and Marshals (Captains) as well as get some fitting combi weapons to round out your shooty squads. If you consider magnetizing, you can easily swap backpacks and jumppacks too, even arms if you're determined.

I'd also load a heavy bolter on one infantry squad to get access to the hellfire rounds stratagem, that and the flakk missile are reliable ways to get mortal wounds out (moreso with the armorium cherub from the devastators!)

Especially for HQ choices i have to second Adelard.

Alas your list looks well rounded and fit to learn the ropes of 8th, as long as your opponent doesn't break out the power lists (which some armies can hardly avoid sadly), so don't get yourself discouraged. Zeal makes all things possible and duty makes all things simple, after all ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I need to concentrate on having some nice HQ and more options for my squads.

SO right now I have put those in my shopping cart, although I won't be able to get all that in my next purchase:

- Sternguard veterans

- Vanguard veterans

- devastator squad

- tactical squad

With that I will be able to make one shooty castellan/Marshall, one CC castellan/Marshal, a couple of SB with combi weapons, some Heavy weapon (maybe 2 plasma cannon, 2 HB) to either do a second devastator squad or put as heavy in shooty crusader squads.

That would give me some options.

Yeah and I could probably build 3 HQ, 3 shooty SB and 4 Heavy weapon guy with 10 tacticals (and leftover bits). So I can start by ordering the Vanguard and the tacticals.

Any hints on building the Vanguard. Magnets the jump pack, other than that?

Any others Idea of good purchases to complement this?  

I magnetised all the back packs. It was actually fairly straightforward, I simply cut off the round plugs on the backs, drilled a hole so the back was flush, then filled the holes on the backpacks with the other magnet.

I magnetised the arms on the Sword Brother Sergeant, not the rest. (Frankly, I couldn't be bothered to paint too many arms, and I only had a finite amount of Red Dog Minis' shoulder pauldrons.

• 1 month later...

Hello again guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread of mine, but I need your help again! Following your advise, I build a Castellan and a Marshall, 3 SB with combi plasma and some Heavy weapons guys (HBs and plasma cannons).

Now I have here a box of vanguards vets. But I am struggling to find out how to kite them. I want to use them has arrasement, diversion, with the same kind of list as the one I post in this thread. I also need something to go after big threats or to clean up my side if the enemy drop a Strong unit on my side. (berzerker, chaos terminators, plague marines) Or even drop near necrons heavy weapons guys and do some damage.

So right now, I am thinking of something like 2 th/ss, 2 LC and a sergant with plasma pistols and relic blade. Does this make sense? I like the rerolls and ap-2 of the LC, and hammer are always useful. Of course, back pack would be magnetized.

I also plan on buying Assault termis in a near future, so those too would probably have LC and TH/SS.

I forgot, I know that some peoples like to put chainsword on SS guys, so that if they failed the save, they don't lose a guy with a power weapon, but If I do 2 CS/SS, that leaves me probably with a TH/ plasma pistol sergeant and 1 another TH /PP, and only one guy left for LC. That could be one option too, but would miss on some AP-2 attack, but gain a PP attack....   I don't know.

Playing PL, so points for options are not a factor.

Archived