Watch Captain Loadouts

ashc

I think there is a lot of merit in the combimelta/meltafist terminator captain, he can put some serious hurt on vehicles and large monsters.

A good all-rounder seems a jump pack, stormbolter, banebolts and a xenophase blade.

Another character or monster hunter could work with jump pack, thunder hammer with +1d warlord trait and an inferno pistol perhaps.

That all sounds lovely. Going to modify this unbuilt Artemis I have to fill that all-rounder you mentioned.

Glad you think so, I mean I'm only theorycrafting :)

One of those jump pack versions are also on my build list now I've finished my terminator librarian, although I need jump packs to do it!

These relics and warlord traits make for some super fun and nasty loadouts.. here's one I thought of earlier:

Watch Captain: Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, Storm Bolter, Banebolts, Castellan of the Black Vault (on hammer).. this guy is only 119 points and has the capability to push out an insane TWENTY FOUR, yes 24 damage a turn (16 from the D4 hammer, 8 from the Banebolts)

These relics and warlord traits make for some super fun and nasty loadouts.. here's one I thought of earlier:

Watch Captain: Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, Storm Bolter, Banebolts, Castellan of the Black Vault (on hammer).. this guy is only 119 points and has the capability to push out an insane TWENTY FOUR, yes 24 damage a turn (16 from the D4 hammer, 8 from the Banebolts)

Running with a combi plasma and relic blade. With the trait and relic you are pretty much guaranteed more than one wound per turn.

Due to the wording used in the captains options both the Xenophase Blade/Storm Bolter and the Relic Blade/Combi Plasma loadouts mentioned might not be legal. It says you can swap chainsword for Relic Blade or Xenophase Blade then the next bullet point says trade MC Boltgun and Chainsword for DW equipment. Might be just semantics but could prove troublesome in a tournament setting.

Actually, the maximum potential damage is 28. You forgot the potential 4 MW from the banebolts. (Though realistically he will never deal close to this amount).

Due to the wording used in the captains options both the Xenophase Blade/Storm Bolter and the Relic Blade/Combi Plasma loadouts mentioned might not be legal. It says you can swap chainsword for Relic Blade or Xenophase Blade then the next bullet point says trade MC Boltgun and Chainsword for DW equipment. Might be just semantics but could prove troublesome in a tournament setting.

I see what you are saying, but i didnt think it was an exchange both or you are stuck kindof rule. Felt like it was an either or / both exchange option. 

I too noticed the Meltafist/other weapon combo, and it made me joyful.  Probably try my hand at converting one myself, but I like Fanatic Xenophobe's conversion quite a bit! :smile.:

Also, Castellan of the Black Vault + TH is ridiculous.  I'm absolutely enamored with the idea of a S8 AP3 D4 Captain :biggrin.:

So a Capt is probably better choice because he gets more attacks.... but don't discount a chaplain dreadnaught :) Castellan of the Black Vault + Bane of Monstrosities, and now I'm hunting any super heavy in the game. And I'm decently protected if I can keep my infantry between him and the rest of the army.

I too noticed the Meltafist/other weapon combo, and it made me joyful.  Probably try my hand at converting one myself, but I like Fanatic Xenophobe's conversion quite a bit! :smile.:

Also, Castellan of the Black Vault + TH is ridiculous.  I'm absolutely enamored with the idea of a S8 AP3 D4 Captain :biggrin.:

So a Capt is probably better choice because he gets more attacks.... but don't discount a chaplain dreadnaught :smile.: Castellan of the Black Vault + Bane of Monstrosities, and now I'm hunting any super heavy in the game. And I'm decently protected if I can keep my infantry between him and the rest of the army.

Also he can Deep Strike, which is frankly ridiculous . . . :biggrin.:

So a Capt is probably better choice because he gets more attacks.... but don't discount a chaplain dreadnaught :smile.: Castellan of the Black Vault + Bane of Monstrosities, and now I'm hunting any super heavy in the game. And I'm decently protected if I can keep my infantry between him and the rest of the army.

Also he can Deep Strike, which is frankly ridiculous . . . :biggrin.:

Now I'm contemplating ordering another one with 2 claws/heavy flamers.... haha

I see what you are saying, but i didnt think it was an exchange both or you are stuck kindof rule. Felt like it was an either or / both exchange option.

No, sadly it’s all or nothing. Otherwise you could get two guns or a meele weapon and 2 additional chainswords (since the equipment list is “choose two, one of which can be ranged”).

No, sadly it’s all or nothing. Otherwise you could get two guns or a meele weapon and 2 additional chainswords (since the equipment list is “choose two, one of which can be ranged”).

Welp, that hurt my feelings. Lol, looks like it is just power sword and combi plasma then. Cause i definitely model this guys sword already. Least till i can find some more bits and magnets.

I actually brought up a "you make da call" thread about the captain weapon switching here:  https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/756910.page

As far as that captains datasheet goes, RAW, it's pointlessly limited since there is an FAQ that directly says that you can't to a double switch to get a good ranged weapon and a xeno/relic blade.  There is however, the possibility of using index load outs.  Unfortunately, at this time, I still don't have a solid answer for how that all works with SIA.  This issue also ties in the ability for librarians and chaplains getting non pistols with SIA.

For my Captain, I can atleast sidestep the index issue by giveing him him a thunder hammer instead of the relic blade.  Less accurate but more damage for the same price.

I think you can’t use the index load out anymore, since the data sheet got updated (though I might be wrong).

The flowchart (which is slowly being eroded with every new codex and FAQ) shows that you use the codex data sheet, but the index wargear options if necessary. 

Hmm yeah, missed that “wargear options” are actually the rules that allow replacement of wargear, not the wargear items itself. In that case you could use the index version and would get SIA, as you still use the new datasheet that includes the SIA rule (and SIA is independent of the wargear).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

Can I combine units from the index and a codex into one army?
The datasheets in the new codexes overwrite the same datasheets in the index books.
You can certainly use units with updated datasheets alongside units from the index that have yet to be updated. Once a unit has been covered in the codex though, we assume you’re using the latest version.

Can I choose to use the rules and/or points for units from my index instead of the new ones in the codex once released?
In your own games, if you and your opponent agree, you can, of course, play with whatever rules you like.

In all future publications and official events though, it will be assumed that you’re using the most recent rules and Datasheets. It will also be assumed that you’re using the most up to date points for matched play, in this case, those included in the codex.

Spent this evening taking apart Artemis and magnetizing a jump pack to him, along with magnetizing shoulders and wrists. Already have a WC with thunder hammer magnetized to his left arm (looks awesome) and combo melts on the right arm. Can switch out for a SB, power sword, xenophase blade, etc. on demand now. Love it!

Yeah, given how this is the second time I've ripped my captains arm off, I've decide to do a bit of magnetization on him, though storm bolter/ thunder hammer is likely what I'll be going for when it comes to list building.  Also, nothing really stopping me from using the relic blade arm for a cheap power sword.  I was quite pleased with the job I did on putting the relic blade onto the left arm that uses the xeno blade so I definitely wont let that go.

Archived