Watch Captain Loadouts

ashc

That information is out of date.  The designer's commentary published a chart to show what we can and cannot do.  The problem is figuring out how Deathwatch fits into it.

https://i.redd.it/n3g7779rddyz.jpg

I see the validity of it but I still think its dumb. Why not just include the options in the codex if that's what was intended? Debate for another time or FAQ... but I gotcha.

Newbie question: What model is the Watch Captain? I only see one on the GW webstore and it's the terminator one. I see other Captains in the Codex but not sure what model(s) to grab. Assuming a normal captain with a Deathwatch shoulder pad?

Newbie question: What model is the Watch Captain? I only see one on the GW webstore and it's the terminator one. I see other Captains in the Codex but not sure what model(s) to grab. Assuming a normal captain with a Deathwatch shoulder pad?

It's whatever model you want it to be. Artemis is the only Watch Captain that has a specific model. You can build one out of a basic Tactical kit if you like.

Here

Edit: Hmmm. Guess I'll have to fire up the laptop to post pics. Doesn't want to let me do it from my phone.

I like to keep my guys with as much of the Mk 8 armor as possible so I'm using the legs and the rear cape from the veteran kit and the front armor and helmet from the upgrade sprue.  For arms I use the veteran arms and attach weapons at the wrist.

Watch Captains are so much fun to conceptualize and build, from both the model and strategic perspective!

Personally, I'm one for style over substance so have gone a bit nutty building several Captains... just need to finish painting the troops before really taking the time on these:

Terminator Captain:

Jump Captains:

On foot / in transports: 

Some nice models there. So I guess I will see what options I want to equip one with and then look for a cool model/pose I like and then smash them together with the gear I can find. :ohmy.:

Maybe I will find a use for my Gravis Armor Captain from DI box now after all.

Some nice models there. So I guess I will see what options I want to equip one with and then look for a cool model/pose I like and then smash them together with the gear I can find. :ohmy.:

Maybe I will find a use for my Gravis Armor Captain from DI box now after all.

Mine may become a terminator captain.

Drifting towards off topic a bit (sorry)... but here's a Gravis kitbash idea I saw somewhere on reddit or imgur (can't seem to find the source), I thought it'd make a great starting point for a terminator captain or maybe just nicer looking aggressors (I'm not really a fan of the Aggressor, Inceptor, or Reiver models).

Here's a Gravis kitbash idea I saw somewhere on reddit or imgur (can't seem to find the source), I thought it'd make a great starting point for a captain or just nicer looking aggressors (I'm not really a fan of the Aggressor, Inceptor, or Reiver models).

Actually really like that Aggressor kitbash. Looks WYSIWYG enough to me, as well.

I plan to run one with a jump pack and mastercrafted bolter or Storm Bolter and Stormshield. 

However, its really hard to justify taking a Watch Captain when the Watch Masters are just better.  For deep strikes they are better for re-rolls, more durable with a awesome CC weapon.  Count for the strategems/WL traits.  Can burn a CP to deep strike a second one while the otherone is on the table for you. 

I plan to run one with a jump pack and mastercrafted bolter or Storm Bolter and Stormshield. 

However, its really hard to justify taking a Watch Captain when the Watch Masters are just better.  For deep strikes they are better for re-rolls, more durable with a awesome CC weapon.  Count for the strategems/WL traits.  Can burn a CP to deep strike a second one while the otherone is on the table for you. 

Oh, I'd almost always take a watchmaster first but when the points are available a watch captain can choose from a wide variety of equipment and serve many different roles, backfield defense, jump pack assault, etc. Some relics are only really usable by watch captains, like the Dominus Aegis... one of my watch captains is designed to sit in the backfield with that relic providing stalker bolter / missile squads with a 5+ invulnerable save.

Drifting towards off topic a bit (sorry)... but here's a Gravis kitbash idea I saw somewhere on reddit or imgur (can't seem to find the source), I thought it'd make a great starting point for a terminator captain or maybe just nicer looking aggressors (I'm not really a fan of the Aggressor, Inceptor, or Reiver models).

That is a dope conversion, the only thing I dont like about gravis armor is when it gets to the pelvis area, it just looks weird, like how they make toy dinosaurs  or something. If i ever make any im throwing tabards or loin cloths on them.

The idea is to try to get both in there. but for smaller games Im thinking watch captain for versatility, librarian and chaplain. 

Oh, I'd almost always take a watchmaster first but when the points are available a watch captain can choose from a wide variety of equipment and serve many different roles, backfield defense, jump pack assault, etc. Some relics are only really usable by watch captains, like the Dominus Aegis... one of my watch captains is designed to sit in the backfield with that relic providing stalker bolter / missile squads with a 5+ invulnerable save.

2 watch captains, 1 running the front the other in the back buffering. seems plausible

Thoughts on the Primaris Watch Captain? I'm building a mostly Primaris force with some exceptions and he doesn't really seem all that great compared to a regular one. The only thing I can think of is riding a Repulsor with a squad of Hellblasters to give them his aura when they jump out.

Better is really subjective in this case. They have different roles. A Watchmaster can't run up the board 12" + D6 inches and teleport a max sized unit of Intercessors/Aggressors into firing range turn one. A Watchmaster cant split off as easily from the units he's buffing to go grab a last minute objective. A Watchmaster is also arguably not as good at killing vehicles in CC (without spending CP/Relics). There's a lot to be said for flat 3 damage of the Thunder Hammer.

I'm going with a lot of assault and storm bolters so to keep up with the troops he will be providing an aura for I'm using just the auto bolt rifle.

I did the same in a recent game so that he helped babysit an Intergressor squad. Gave him the Banebolts as well :D

Thoughts on the Primaris Watch Captain? I'm building a mostly Primaris force with some exceptions and he doesn't really seem all that great compared to a regular one. The only thing I can think of is riding a Repulsor with a squad of Hellblasters to give them his aura when they jump out.

Yeah, unless you have a repulsive either way, he seems pretty pointless compared to the normal watch captain. Even then just taking a normal captain with jump pack or stratagem deepstrike seems better. The weapon options for the Primaris captain are simply bad.

I think an intercessor watch Captain really is a tough sell. I use Repulsors and I don’t like their severe limitations. You’re just probably getting him for the Aura mostly so why not add deep strike and the options that come with a standard marine.

Honestly I’d probably use a Primaris Librarian first. I don’t see using any Primaris HQ really making my list until they do a Watchmaster.

I think an intercessor watch Captain really is a tough sell. I use Repulsors and I don’t like their severe limitations. You’re just probably getting him for the Aura mostly so why not add deep strike and the options that come with a standard marine.

Honestly I’d probably use a Primaris Librarian first. I don’t see using any Primaris HQ really making my list until they do a Watchmaster.

One aspect of the standard Watch Captain/Librarian/etc. is their access to built-in Deep Strike.  It doesn't seem like a big deal since we already have access to the god-like Teleport Strategem, but if you want to be able to use a Character to bolster your other Deep Striking units, it helps to not have to waste a CP or a Teleport Strat slot (since you only get 3 max) to bring them in.  Choosing Terminator Armour also has the added bonus of matching the standard Character's stats to their Primaris counterpart and giving them extra Wargear options (though if you want to keep 'em cheap, Jump Packs are perfectly acceptable).

Archived