Watch Captain Loadouts

ashc

Looking to use those grey knight strike squad backpack teleporters? ;)

I'd prefer them on Librarians, but I'd never complain about them as an archeo / xeno tech jump pack on a captain, especially if you funky them up a bit.

Looking to use those grey knight strike squad backpack teleporters? ;)

I'd prefer them on Librarians, but I'd never complain about them as an archeo / xeno tech jump pack on a captain, especially if you funky them up a bit.

Yep. Librarians are exactly what I was planning on using them for.

Purge the Warp Spider by beating him at his own game ;)

I've decided to make an additional watch captain rather than rely on unclear rules with the index librarian and chaplains.  They will bother have jet packs so both having deep strike will give me a lot more freedom on where I can deep strike my kill teams to keep the captain buff. 

Onehas a thunder hammer and a storm bolter so obviously he will want to get in and fight.  I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but since captains have a bolt pistol, this could be the perfect opportunity to use those tempestus shells.  I'm not aware of any limitations on them that would prohibit their use on a pistol while in combat.

The other one will have a storm bolter armed with the banebolts.  Those things are amazing on a bs 2+ storm bolter with re-rolls.  He will also have a power axe.  While he will want to spend most of his time shooting, I don't think he should be without at least a cheap power weapon, and I'd say the axe is likely the best.  Going to T5 while keeping the AP-2 will probley net the best damage in a TAC list.  He might be a worthy target for the stratagem that can give him more attacks.

The other one will have a storm bolter armed with the banebolts.  Those things are amazing on a bs 2+ storm bolter with re-rolls.  He will also have a power axe.  While he will want to spend most of his time shooting, I don't think he should be without at least a cheap power weapon, and I'd say the axe is likely the best.  Going to T5 while keeping the AP-2 will probley net the best damage in a TAC list.  He might be a worthy target for the stratagem that can give him more attacks.

I have been toying with this layout, but also given him the +1 dmg trait on the Axe to make him more effective in combat as well as shooting. However i do play alot against ravenguard so that 2 dmg works wonders against them  bikes...

I've decided to make an additional watch captain rather than rely on unclear rules with the index librarian and chaplains.

There's nothing unclear about them.

They have flat out said that any Index equipment that didn't carry over to the Codex is still legal to use as long as you pay the most current points cost for it.

I presume that was to avoid invalidating models built when that loadout was still usable. It's actually rather nice that they took into account that players might not want to tear apart a favorite model to make it usable.

I plan to run one with a jump pack and mastercrafted bolter or Storm Bolter and Stormshield. 

However, its really hard to justify taking a Watch Captain when the Watch Masters are just better.  For deep strikes they are better for re-rolls, more durable with a awesome CC weapon.  Count for the strategems/WL traits.  Can burn a CP to deep strike a second one while the otherone is on the table for you. 

Better is really subjective in this case. They have different roles. A Watchmaster can't run up the board 12" + D6 inches and teleport a max sized unit of Intercessors/Aggressors into firing range turn one. A Watchmaster cant split off as easily from the units he's buffing to go grab a last minute objective. A Watchmaster is also arguably not as good at killing vehicles in CC (without spending CP/Relics). There's a lot to be said for flat 3 damage of the Thunder Hammer.

Sure, I was looking at it from a "Buff units" perspective.  I had not considered the beacon Angelis Idea. The question is that they need to update the FAQ to clarify that the beta rules dont apply if they start on the table(currently nothing official has said as much). 

Basically in my Battalion, the Watchmaster needs to be my warlord, and thus needs to start on the table so I can take advantage of his warlord traits.  Cant afford for him to be off the table for two turns.  However, re-roll ones is half as effective when it comes to buffing units.  I have 1 slot left for deep strike(two are for 10 man units coming in) so it makes sense to take the much more durable and buffing watchmaster for similar points to a jump pack.  But I do see the uses in Watch Captain, it is just a matter of points and ability to build a list that can take advantage of that versatility.  

• 1 month later...

Pulling this one back up cause I thought to question....

Yes the ideal captain would be Jumpack, Thunderhammer and Stormbolter ( a shield just for a +1 save just didnt sit as well with me as having a stormbolter or combi weapons ) with relics to match

and for a terminator captain, combi melta and melta power fist

but what about a supporting foot slogging or transport riding captain, would you stick with it's given loadout or would you switch it up. Have some extra extra bits, and thought about including on foot captain for a supporting mid range gunline / riding in a transport in ya face, without flying. Do you think there are better loadouts than MC bolter and relic blade?

I go for the Watch Master for most backlines, especially if I have degrading units.

If I need a reroll on the frontlines, or if I feel my backline needs to be mobile, a JP Captain is better. Being able to fly over things to get in aura range is very useful.

gallery_103680_14536_355089.jpg

Somehow I think that 155pts for this model (captain in termie armour) is acceptable, so I decided to order one, and to prepare the powerfist/combimelta arms.

If you compare it to a Tau commander with a couple of fusion blasters and a couple of signature systems, plus two drones....that model is not far.

Less mobility, but 2+ sv and 5+ invul, better in melee, and grants reroll ones for close units

A great support for our vet ans fortis kill teams, and compensates some lack of antitank weapons

How did you make that Meltafist? Looks great

Thx. Just cut away the chain part of the chainfist, on the other side I used the front part of the combimelta (the melta part only).

I used a thin file to make the pieces combine as best as possible....I’m really looking forward to try the model.

If it performs as I hope, probably there will be a second one :-)

Thx. Just cut away the chain part of the chainfist, on the other side I used the front part of the combimelta (the melta part only).

I used a thin file to make the pieces combine as best as possible....I’m really looking forward to try the model.

Used the same pieces, only difference I kept the combi on the terminator. Cut the underslung blade and used the combi melta part underneath and created a single barrel from smoke launchers to fit the girth of a termi combi bolter.

Same thing for the fist as well except I used spacewolves (fits the concept I was going for. The only problem (not with you but the concept of a power melta fist) is that when I looked at it the melta was longer than the fist, so how the hell where you gonna punch things with it if the melta was gonna hit first. So at first tried to use a normal melta. Too big. Then i went down to the combi melta piece. Shorter than the fist. I personally do t know how the melta shoots out, aesthetically wouldn't this burn the fist? If anything think it should be on top of the fist rather than underslung. But I'm now it feels like I'm getting into politics and will keep it like that. Either way great kitbashin. Wish mine went as smoothly as yours. :)

Used the same pieces, only difference I kept the combi on the terminator. Cut the underslung blade and used the combi melta part underneath and created a single barrel from smoke launchers to fit the girth of a termi combi bolter.

Same thing for the fist as well except I used spacewolves (fits the concept I was going for. The only problem (not with you but the concept of a power melta fist) is that when I looked at it the melta was longer than the fist, so how the hell where you gonna punch things with it if the melta was gonna hit first. So at first tried to use a normal melta. Too big. Then i went down to the combi melta piece. Shorter than the fist. I personally do t know how the melta shoots out, aesthetically wouldn't this burn the fist? If anything think it should be on top of the fist rather than underslung. But I'm now it feels like I'm getting into politics and will keep it like that. Either way great kitbashin. Wish mine went as smoothly as yours. :)

Yeah I had the same concept problem on the meltafist. How can U powerpunch something with the melta barrel out?? It would just get crushed in the process...

The solution is actually simple, the melta part is retracting when using the fist to punch....or that is what I immagine happens :-)

Yeah I had the same concept problem on the meltafist. How can U powerpunch something with the melta barrel out?? It would just get crushed in the process...

The solution is actually simple, the melta part is retracting when using the fist to punch....or that is what I immagine happens :-)

*mind blown*

Wasn’t there a discussion some month back that powerfists (by their construction) shouldn’t actually be used to punch, but instead to crush? That’s at least the explanation I’ve been going with.

I wouldn't like to start another discussion, but I would say since it's a powerfist.....by definition you should "powerpunch" things IMHO :-)

By "crush" do you meen grab or to use it like a hammer?

Wasn’t there a discussion some month back that powerfists (by their construction) shouldn’t actually be used to punch, but instead to crush? That’s at least the explanation I’ve been going with.

I wouldn't like to start another discussion, but I would say since it's a powerfist.....by definition you should "powerpunch" things IMHO :-)

By "crush" do you meen grab or to use it like a hammer?

I think Finkmilkana means "grab".

Iirc, the new Knights codex basically confirms that you can just squeeze something to death with a powerfist-type weapon with the Death Grip stratagem. Which is honestly the best (as in coolest/most awesome) stratagem in the codex :lol:

Yeah, I meant grab and crush „inside“ your closing fist. Though I also agree that we probably shouldn’t derail the loadout discussion with this, just wanted to give people an alternative reason for why the Melta fist makes sense. I also can’t really contribute much more to such a discussion, as i don’t remember the sources given. I just vaguely remember such a thread existed and that, while contradictory sources exist (so everyone can pretty much decide what he prefers), the general conclusion was „grab it, don’t punch it“.

Yeah, I meant grab and crush „inside“ your closing fist. Though I also agree that we probably shouldn’t derail the loadout discussion with this, just wanted to give people an alternative reason for why the Melta fist makes sense. I also can’t really contribute much more to such a discussion, as i don’t remember the sources given. I just vaguely remember such a thread existed and that, while contradictory sources exist (so everyone can pretty much decide what he prefers), the general conclusion was „grab it, don’t punch it“.

Yes you’re right but it was a fun discussion......to get back on the loadout I was comparing the 126pts JP captain (combimelta+powerfist) with the 155pts termie captain (combimelta+meltafist)

29pts is not a big difference so I could think to have 2 termie captains in my army....or having one and one, with the JP giving some mobility after the deepstrike....you never know where dou you may need him, the termie captain moves just 5”

What do you think guys? Btw I have also a watchmaster on the field

Archived