Intercessor Sarg Sword Question

Inquisitor Red

"The Intercessor Sergeant may either replace their bolt rifle with a chainsword or power sword (pg 91), or take a chainsword or power sword."

So it says they can replace a bolt rifle with a sword, I get that. But it also says in the end that they can just take a sword. Does that mean that a sergeant can take a bolt rifle, bolt pistol, and a sword? If so then why would you ever swap your bolt rifle out for anything?

Bolt pistol and sword is a classic Space Marine Sgt. loadout, so I imagine they were working from that fluff perspective. From a model standpoint, it gives you the option to utilize the DI LT. with pistol as a Sgt. - he doesn't carry a rifle after all. 

There's no real reason not to take all three, though. Speaking of which...does the BA Pirmaris chainsword match chainsword arms for normal marines?

You can indeed take all 3. You might chose to save a point by not taking the rifle but it's a mistake not to.

Primaris Sgt power sword is always good because of the 3 Base attacks.

I think this is largely for WYSIWYG. You can take a sword or replace your gun with one, but all weapons need to be modeled. This means that a Sargeant with sword and bolt pistol is acceptable, but this guy does not have a bolter unless you model one mag locked to his boot or something.

Wow okay yeah you guys weren't kidding I looked up the ruling in the regular Space Marine codex, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels and they're all saying the same thing for the Intercessor Sarg. Looks like we all should be putting a chainsword holstered on every Sergeant's hip.

They look OK, imo. As do regular power swords

Can confirm, I've used a myriad of power weapons on the Intercessor Sergeants and they scale very well.

Weapons, arms, shoulder pads and heads are all scaled to look good on primaris, I know I'm looking forward to adding some cool looking power weapons to some models for sergeants.

Archived