Blood Angels and successors.

Something I've been wondering about for a while now.

What happens when a Blood Angel, Flesh Tearer, or other successor succumbs to the Black Rage while seconded to the Deathwatch?

You know, since that flaw isn't general knowledge.

Probably the same they do with a SW that succumbs to th curse of the wulfen or a first company dark angel that gets his mind checked out by their librarian after a psyker attack: politely ignore and forget it since everyone has some skeletons in their closet. All the chapter wide “secrets” are pretty much impossible to keep truly secret when working together this closely. Which makes it kinda ridiculous to assume the inquisition doesn’t actually know them all.

Wrong sub forum.

How so?

I specifically asked what happens when they succumb to the Black Rage while serving in the Deathwatch.

I figured the Deathwatch would be the appropriate place to ask, since Blood Angels players don't necessarily know answers pertaining to Deathwatch issues.

The Deathwatch is prepared for such eventualities. Their chaplains and apothecaries are trained in how to deal with such chapter flaws. Deathwatch Chaplains are essentially multi-denominational. They are trained specifically on how to handle the hundreds of different practices and beliefs that will be present among the various Kill-Teams. In the case of the Black Rage, it is likely to be noticed and, unless the marine in question gives a good reason, such as being in the middle of a particularly poignant mission, he's likely to be discharged back to his chapter.

Wrong sub forum.

I'm fine with this being here since it references DW and how they would handle oddities in recruits based on specific chapter traits/flaws/weaknesses/etc.  The same question could come up regarding any of the less codex-adherent or flawed SM chapters, so it has a place here.

From my understanding, if this occurred they'd probably treat it as "combat madness" or "warp possession" and deliver the Emperor's peace (most likely a Chaplain or the Watch Captain himself) to the affected individual.  If another member of the chapter (or successor) was available, perhaps he could weigh in on what was going on, but it's likely that this would be kept secret to protect the BA since the DW wouldn't want to lose the connection to a favoured and otherwise-trusted source of Veterans.

I feel that many chapters have many different levels of secrets and flaws that they don't want the wider universe knowing about but could become almost impossible to hide once in the Deathwatch... however, the Deathwatch itself is a brotherhood with its own secrets and space marines seconded to it appear to have the utmost respect for one another's idiosyncrasies and rituals as well as methods and even flaws. Those in the upper echelons probably know even more, there is no way that apothecaries and watch masters are not aware of geneseed degradation - however they also fully understand the importance of their duty and the sacrifice's that those brothers who are afflicted in some way make in the name of the organisation.

Hmm, in simple terms the Deathwatch are brothers - and it's bros before foes.... :)

I'd imagine a few things coming into play. Like it's been said, Deathwatch higher ups likely know about some of these things. I'd be very surprised if even the higher ups in many chapters don't know some of the generalities about some of the wider geneseed quirks. So it's likely known that Brother Bloodius of the Emperor's Blood chapter may have some control issues at times, long in advance of them ever happening. It's also likely that those chapters with secrets and issues to hide would vet whom they will contribute to the Deathwatch carefully. I'm honestly unsure if, for example, Unforgiven with significant knowledge of their secrets would even be allowed to join the Deathwatch. If they were, it seems likely that they would have significant psychic defenses on that information taught to them before they left their chapter but, then again, why risk your secrets when you could just as easily send some recruits who won't have the secrets to begin with. Or maybe the Deathwatch is their release valve for soldiers who are above average but not fully trustworthy for one reason or another. If Brother Barachiel is a crack shot, a competent Commander, but the librarians don't think that he is material for the Deathwing and the company veterancy is large enough already, maybe it's time to ship him off to the Deathwatch and let him seek his fate there.

There's also the aspect of the Deathwatch being a brotherhood. Maybe the dark secrets are all things that most Deathwatch members end up learning but ultimately don't matter and just aren't spoken about in non-Deathwatch company. I mean, a group of Astartes sharing an ideology across chapters and keeping it utterly secret from all outsiders? There's no way that kind of thing could possibly go bad.

Considering the Black Shields* I'd say the Deathwatch readily turns a blind eye to such things. As long as they have a veteran Marine who does the job of killing xenos they will accept nearly anyone. I would imagine they have a knowledge of some things at higher levels and have protocols for dealing with 'events' - in this example perhaps fielding Blood Angel and successor Marines in pairs.

*since it's hinted that ex-traitor Marines may even become a Black Shield

I actually just finished the Deathwatch omnibus.

The story that features Captain Artemis has a Flesh Tearer Librarian that is fighting the Black Rage and a Blood Angel from a different kill team talks him down.

It also references that Watch Captains are generally aware that sons of Sanguinius are prone to going bonkers in high stress scenarios, they just don't know specifically what causes it.

There's another story that is told from the perspective of a Black Dragon that features another Flesh Tearer on the verge of losing it. That one was neat, it was a sort of Deathwatch Black Ops kill team comprised of members of Chapters other Deathwatch aren't comfortable having in their kill teams. 2 from Cursed Founding Chapters, a Relicter, a Flesh Tearer, and a Black Shield. The idea is that they are more expendable than other kill teams.

There's another story that is told from the perspective of a Black Dragon that features another Flesh Tearer on the verge of losing it. That one was neat, it was a sort of Deathwatch Black Ops kill team comprised of members of Chapters other Deathwatch aren't comfortable having in their kill teams. 2 from Cursed Founding Chapters, a Relicter, a Flesh Tearer, and a Black Shield. The idea is that they are more expendable than other kill teams.

That's amazing, and also a great idea for a Kill Team!  Something of a Deathwatch version of Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers :D

Eh... We've had half a dozen examples of Black Shield origins and not once have they ever been actual traitor marines returning to the Imperium. We've had marines from destroyed chapters, marines that were exiled for not fitting in with their chapters, marines that were from chapters that hadn't been founded yet, but never a true former CSM.

Eh... We've had half a dozen examples of Black Shield origins and not once have they ever been actual traitor marines returning to the Imperium. We've had marines from destroyed chapters, marines that were exiled for not fitting in with their chapters, marines that were from chapters that hadn't been founded yet, but never a true former CSM.

I dont think anyone is implying as such, I believe the implication is that if an already founded chapter falls to chaos one of those marines may not agree and flee to join the deathwatch

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, but I know I read somewhere that all Sons of Sanguinius take care of their own within the Deathwatch. Every Watch Fortress and kill team knows to “call another Red dude” when someone from the BA or successor chapter starts going nutty (whether from Red Thirst or Black Rage). As such they will often bunk with each other, even if they are not on the same Kill Team and such. They mostly try to keep it “in the family” before the wider groups find out what’s going on. Of course, something always gets out especially if it’s a lone BA/successor on a mission who falls to the Black Rage.

Pragmatically speaking, seasoned Watch Captains/Commanders/Apothecaries probably know more details than your average SM, whether through overt knowledge or just observing over long periods of time.

And as others have pointed out, an organization that accepts Black Shields with open arms would not be one to to blab about a Chapter’s secrets, let some turn away a strong sword arm no matter it’s tendencies.

I dont think anyone is implying as such, I believe the implication is that if an already founded chapter falls to chaos one of those marines may not agree and flee to join the deathwatch

Or were already serving in the Deathwatch when the rest of their Chapter is corrupted.

Gives me a story idea, actually.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, but I know I read somewhere that all Sons of Sanguinius take care of their own within the Deathwatch. Every Watch Fortress and kill team knows to “call another Red dude” when someone from the BA or successor chapter starts going nutty (whether from Red Thirst or Black Rage). As such they will often bunk with each other, even if they are not on the same Kill Team and such. They mostly try to keep it “in the family” before the wider groups find out what’s going on. Of course, something always gets out especially if it’s a lone BA/successor on a mission who falls to the Black Rage.

^this

I read that as well and came here to check whether someone already post it. DW member know that if one of the BA/Successors start acting weird they call another BA/Successor guy. Preferably a Chaplain. The member who noticed something going on get told to keep quiet about it (which usually works out).

Hell they even had/have Knights of Blood members. The guys who have barely any control about their Red Thirst and already started showing signs of mutations from it (red skin etc). The chapter now is gone forever after Devastation of Baal and Dante deciding to honour them by not re-building it, but since there weren't any DW helping defend Baal i'm pretty sure there are still some in the DW (that's at least part of the headcanon for my custom successor chapters Chapter Master lol).

Archived