Best Loadout for a pure CC Vanguard Unit

Inquisitor Red

Are lightning claws actually ever worth it? I also really like them and have a few VVs and terminators built with them... but they never really seem to be the best tool for any job.

Oh, they're terrible. Absolutely not worth the cost for a pair. Consistently the best looking, but worst performing VV unit.

They're stuck in a weird zone with S4 where the reroll to wound isn't that useful against chaff for the cost and 2 chainsword would probably do a comparable job for much less, while also not enough to do well against high T models either because you still need to roll 5+.

Look so good though.

Oh, they're terrible. Absolutely not worth the cost for a pair. Consistently the best looking, but worst performing VV unit.

They're stuck in a weird zone with S4 where the reroll to wound isn't that useful against chaff for the cost and 2 chainsword would probably do a comparable job for much less, while also not enough to do well against high T models either because you still need to roll 5+.

Look so good though.

Bummer... the -2 AP doesn't make that big a difference?

I guess looks aren't everything... :(

Lightning claws used to be boss in previous editions but gw have not realised how some of their iconic equipment and units have suffered in the edition changeover - either the rules don't represent what these things used to do and hence their reputation, or they've well overpriced them expecting them to be good.

Is the double pistol setup worth doing? - I've always wondered.

Look so good though.

Based on some very, very rough estimations, I think 5 VVs with dual LC compared to 5 VVs with dual chainswords will do around 2 more wounds a fight phase against most targets. It's better, but probably not worth the cost hike.

Look so good though.

Based on some very, very rough estimations, I think 5 VVs with dual LC compared to 5 VVs with dual chainswords will do around 2 more wounds a fight phase against most targets. It's better, but probably not worth the cost hike.

I think I'd only ever hand the LCs to the Sergeant and a Black Shield, but no more than that. Point is to add to their bite, not make it all they do of course.

16 attacks that reroll to wound is nothing to sneeze at.

Choose your targets carefully. Claws are for infantry mulching, not big game hunting. I actually use power fists for big stuff. They aren't as consistent as hammers, but they're slightly cheaper and that matters when you're putting them on a whole squad.

Choose your targets carefully. Claws are for infantry mulching, not big game hunting. I actually use power fists for big stuff. They aren't as consistent as hammers, but they're slightly cheaper and that matters when you're putting them on a whole squad.

Exactly. Because of that fact, I've been considering another couple of Vanguard squads just so I can kit them out with some power fists.

Exactly. Because of that fact, I've been considering another couple of Vanguard squads just so I can kit them out with some power fists.

That's a funny way of saying "Thunder Hammers" :P

That's a funny way of saying "Thunder Hammers" :P
I'd rather average 2 damage per hit and save 20 points on the squad.

I'm actually leaning toward power lances for my Kill Team guys. Going to pick up a Grey Knights Strike Squad and steal all their arms.

I'm actually leaning toward power lances for my Kill Team guys. Going to pick up a Grey Knights Strike Squad and steal all their arms.

Fair enough on the THs, I just really love the static hitting power of the hammers, I guess :P

I want to see pics of your power lance Veterans when they get built up! :)

Fair enough on the THs, I just really love the static hitting power of the hammers, I guess :P

I want to see pics of your power lance Veterans when they get built up! :)

My Watch Captain is sporting a hammer and always has the +1 damage Warlord Trait.

His average damage is better than a HTH and he still gets to pack an inferno pistol. He's a monster close up.

My Watch Captain is sporting a hammer and always has the +1 damage Warlord Trait.

His average damage is better than a HTH and he still gets to pack an inferno pistol. He's a monster close up.

Also you get to shout "IT'S HAMMERTIME!" when he charges :lol:

Also you get to shout "IT'S HAMMERTIME!" when he charges :lol:

If you've seen Infinity War you know what my nearby dreadnought says when he charges.

Archived