Ultramar PDF Project - Roman Imperial Guard (updated 6/2)

Updates!

I took Friday off to prepare for a 1500pt tournament this past weekend.  I painted for a grueling 16hrs to reach the 3 color+basing minimum requirements!

I spent about half of that painting my Custodes Shield Captains on Dawn Eagle Jetbikes, the other half was spent frantically trying to get the Guardsmen looking passably done.  I went with different color schemes for each bike captain, the white guy (immediately dubbed Immortan Joe by my friends) runs the Auric Aquilas relic and Victor of the Blood Games, the Black one gets the Eagle's Eye relic, and the gold boy is just a basic* captain.

uTiakkd.jpg

I didn't get as far as I was hoping on the guardsmen, but they are starting to look like a cohesive group.  Once i get a couple of washes on them I can start the painful process of highlighting them.  Luckily I don't have any major events until October so I can take my time.

GeNhx7V.jpg

The list performed quite well, taking me to an undefeated 3-0 and overall victory based on my strength of schedule.  The firepower of the army is appalling for 1500pts.  I was able to routinely crack 2-3 tanks on turn 1 and I even was able to drop a Doomhammer with Night Shield, Psychic Barrier and Celestine's blessing on it turn 1!

wEA6DLG.jpg

Quick work to get them all base-coated like that... it would take me months :D !

They all look great together and I am sure that you'll improve them further on the run up to October.

Smashing stuff :) .

I got a little more work done on these guys last night.

I blocked in a lot more color on the regular troopers and totally finished the officers!

GA3KtF0.jpg

I used GF9 dried grass for the ground cover and Secret Weapon Ground Glass for the snow.

Hopefully I can get the rest of the platoon done this weekend, because I sense an impending distraction stomping my way in with next week's releases.

I finally finished the platoon!

jSbmqFA.jpg

I might add some more heavy weapons teams and there's a chance I'll expand to 6 infantry squads at some point, but for the moment this is the final product.

Fantastic work, the bases suit the scheme neatly too. For the amount of work required this is quick progress too so well done on that too :tu: With an army looking this good you're robbing yourself (and us) if you don't expand it ;)

Definitely agree with WF this army needs moar! To good not too!

Some custom veterans or scions with some extra flair (vs regular infantry) would be awesome :wink:

If I ever decide to expand the list to an entire 2K list on its own I probably will make a couple of squads of Scions.  I was considering something like Guardsmen with boarding shields to represent their improved saves.

Those look brilliant :smile.:

My one complaint is... I need bigger pix of the troops! :wink::smile.: (Please).

I tried to snap some pictures before I went to work today, but without a proper lighting setup I wasn't able to get any photos worth a damn.

Fantastic work, the bases suit the scheme neatly too. For the amount of work required this is quick progress too so well done on that too :thumbsup: With an army looking this good you're robbing yourself (and us) if you don't expand it :wink:

It certainly didn't feel like "quick" work to me!  It took days for the feeling to return to the tips of my fingers!  I know a few people who have 3D printers local to me, and I want to explore printing options for the shoulder pads I made before I do more of these guys.

Much of the reason for this being a limited scale project comes from me wanting an IG command point farm for my Ultramarines.  If I scale past that I need to be able to react to the changing meta.  In my mind that means lots of options, which equates to a LOT more painting projects.  I've already got almost 20K of Ultramarines that need finishing.

I also hesitate because I already have a Guard army from 5th edition sitting in my closet. They just don't... mesh well ascetically with my Ultramarines.

3qNpuhL.jpg

Wow!! Just read your blog and gotta say you’re a fast mover!! Love the composition of your 1500 list! That looks hard as nails!

How did the Levi perform in tandem with the other units? Do you have a defender o to switch out and try? I’m wondering what you’d do with the extra points??

Wow!! Just read your blog and gotta say you’re a fast mover!! Love the composition of your 1500 list! That looks hard as nails!

How did the Levi perform in tandem with the other units? Do you have a defender o to switch out and try? I’m wondering what you’d do with the extra points??

I'm not sure what you mean by a Defender?  Did you mean Contemptor?  I have one, but I don't like it as much as my Leviathan.

As far as the Leviathan goes.  It's one of the units I NEVER leave home without.  It is one of the most reliable and effective things in the game.  Coupled with UM tactics it's never failed me.  I often use it with Tigurius as a fire magnet to distract from my Devastators.  At -1 to be hit, T9 2+/4++/4++ (against MW), it routinely soaks up an entire round of shooting with minimal damage. 

20x -2 autocannon shots guarantees a dead tank every turn, it's great at killing Custodes, Hive Guard, or anything that relies on a 3/4++ save.

I've got a second one in the mail right now.  I'm toying around with an ITC list that brings 2 of them plus 2-3 Devastator Squads.

I added some big stompies to the group!  

vxy3vwv.jpg

I went with Hawkshroud colors because I wanted to paint something as far from Blue as I could get, turns out Hawkshroud is pretty good too!

EuZWCAI.jpg

I'm strongly considering adding some Basilisks to the army converted slightly from the FW Heresy Legion Basilisk next.

The yellow and white looks great nice paint work!

There is a recent Basilisk vs Manticore in the barracks. Personally I really like the consistency of the Basilisk and 2 of them in my lists has always served me well :D

Looks like your forces are ready to purge that filthy shelf below! ;)

Archived