Imperium Communication Examples?

Mileposter

My main page on the site does have a Thought For The Day generator already - pulls from the Lexicanum's library of them plus the ones that showed up in Dawn of War games, with a few commonly used ones from the vastness of the internet. But I'm really interested in this 'Reports from the Front' idea. On the surface, it sounds like it fits in well with the ideas Bryan's poked at. Can you elaborate?

It's fairly rudimentary; effectively there just to add a little colour by posting pre-written text. It can be seen in action here, and there's a full list of the updates here.

The text is a combination of:

• Fictionalised events from our games: + Arkan Istraufel of the Ishilites has been reported to have suffered psy-burn feedback while striking down Goranhuwl of the Black Kuttas. Both commanders were recovered – heavily injured – from the battlefield on Iskendrun. The planet is securely in the hands of the Imperium +
  • Daft jokes: + The Hag's World Irregulars report first contact with a starship belonging to a previously unknown peace-loving sapient species during a void picket. Principal Armot-Ytter announces double rations for his men +
  • Pure colour text intended to inspire or evoke a particular feel for the campaign: + A group of Saiadhrim Watchknights holds the line on Urartu after the disastrous Carob Landings +

Very late to this party but what an interesting read.

If you/anyone wants the definitive fictional representation of astropaths and the process then I would recommend reading BLIND by Matthew Farrer. You can only get this now as part of the ENFORCER omnibus (well worth it as all three books in it are excellent).

The dream sequence concept is really cool and not something I would have assumed to be an example of it. Definitely always thought of it like the transcript format you've gone for as that's always what you find in the Imperial Armour books like the Inquisitor's communications in the Anpellion Project book. I usually use this for when I do stuff like this followed by paragraphs of transcribed text:

Utilitaum Inquis – Prioris Maxima

Warning: Clearance: Umbra-/Amaranth-/Omega

++++Transmitted: Adeptus Mechanicus Genator Testing Facility – Mars

++++Received: <<static blackout>>

++++Destination: <<static blackout>>

++++Temporal Reference/Send: [5 077-sidereal] 006M37

++++Telepathic Duct: Locus Solar/Mars Terminus

++++Sidereal/Ref/Ordinator: 77-0/y24-325/Astropath Asmodius

++++Transcriptor: Autosavant Penitent -902E//Janus – [liquidated after use]

++++Thought for the Day: “Only in death does duty end.”

Another idea (although most likely not canon) is from the opening scene from Space Marine where they're determining how to deal with the Ork invasion. There's obviously two-way communication going on although it may not necessarily be covering the distances your after. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsDMOVkCWKc

Archived