Deathwatch FAQ collection thread

Qui-Gon

Hello folks,

We need to begin our submissions to GW for the Deathwatch FAQ. So let's start listing out the questions we want answered.

Q) Does the Dominus Aegis project its 5+ invulnerable save aura in the first turn of the first battle round if the model it is equipped with has not had an opportunity to move (such as in your opponent having the first turn, and your model with a Dominus Aegis has not had an opportunity to have a Movement phase to remain stationary)?

Q) There is a discrepency between the rules of the infernum halo launcher on the Corvus Blackstar dataslate (p.87) and the infernum halo launcher rules in the summary of special gear table on page 91. Which is the correct version to use?

Q) Why is the Watch Captain in Terminator Armour only allowed to have a storm shield and a ranged weapon? Why can he not have a thunder hammer and a storm shield?

Q) Why can't the Watch Captain in Terminator Armour not take two lightning claws as an option?

Q) Why was the option for Chaplains and Librarians to replace their bolt pistols with boltguns taken away in the Codex?

Q) Why is the Inferno Pistol 20 pts for Deathwatch, compared to the 9 pts that Blood Angels pay for their Inferno Pistols? It seems excessive to charge 20 pts for an inferno pistol.

Q) Can we have a non Primaris Apothecary that could ride around with normal Deathwatch in transports? Understanding that you need to kitbash your own Apothecaries, but there is no reason that the only Apothecaries are Primaris.

Q) Can Deathwatch get access to Techmarines?

Q) How does the xenophase blade interact with invulnerable saves that have a rule that the save cannot be re-rolled (e.g. Chaos Daemons "Warp Surge" Stratagem, Archon's Shadowfield, etc.)?

Moostick's submissions:
Q) Can we get clarification on the DW Terminator costs? They are the only DW unit in the codex that does not match their SM counterpart post-Chapter Approved. Please take this cost discrepancy into consideration. 

Lemondish's submissions:

Q: The wording for the auxiliary grenade launcher option in the Intercessors data sheet says "For every 5 Intercessors, one may take an auxiliary grenade launcher." Does this requirement count the Intercessor Sergeant for purposes of determining how many Intercessors are needed?

Q: Do doctrines and mission tactics apply when targeting a Dedicated Transport based on the unit type being transported?

Q: Why is the bolt carbine twice the cost of the auto boltrifle, which shares an identical statline?

vigitant's submission

Q:  More specifically, was it intentional that we have no strategem or doctrine to give +1 to wound or reroll wound rolls of 1 against dedicated transports?  If not, can that be added to an existing strategem/doctrine or a new strategem/doctrine added?

Post any others below.

Edited by Qui-Gon

Q) Can we get clarification on the DW Terminator costs? They are the only DW unit in the codex that does not match their SM counterpart post-Chapter Approved. Please take this cost discrepancy into consideration.

Q: The wording for the auxiliary grenade launcher option in the Intercessors data sheet says "For every 5 Intercessors, one may take an auxiliary grenade launcher." Does this requirement count the Intercessor Sergeant for purposes of determining how many Intercessors are needed?

Q: Do doctrines and mission tactics apply when targeting a Dedicated Transport based on the unit type being transported?

Q: Why is the bolt carbine twice the cost of the auto boltrifle, which shares an identical statline?

Good thread idea, people can copy and paste it in to their own email and then send it to GW in the next week.

I would be weary of sending wishlist questions though,why certain units aren't in the book is a design choice and not an FAQ question in my eyes.

Q. Can we get clarification on what units exactly benefit from SIA, in particular walkers and transports?

Thought it may be worth including that because I'm seeing quite a bit of chatter on the Internet over this - it perhaps isn't as clear as people think from the codex.

Q. Can Deathwatch walkers selected from Forgeworld use the teleportarium strategem?

Another common question coming up.

Edited by ashc

Good thread idea, people can copy and paste it in to their own email and then send it to GW in the next week.

I would be weary of sending wishlist questions though,why certain units aren't in the book is a design choice and not an FAQ question in my eyes.

Q. Can we get clarification on what units exactly benefit from SIA, in particular walkers and transports?

Thought it may be worth including that because I'm seeing quite a bit of chatter on the Internet over this - it perhaps isn't as clear as people think from the codex.

Q. Can Deathwatch walkers selected from Forgeworld use the teleportarium strategem?

I would have thought both of those questions have very clear answers no?

1. Whoever has the rule "Special Issue Ammunition" on their datasheet can then look at the list of weapons relevant on page 64

2. Yes because they have <Chapter> i.e. Deathwatch and <Dreadnought>

Q. Do Forge World units that have a storm bolter as an option gain access to Special Issue Ammo?

No, they don't have the rule on their datasheet

These aren't questions worth posing to GW

Q can the wargear options for the watch Captain be clarified. Should the bullet point read and/or? As written he must exchange both his weapons to gain access to wargear such as storm shields or thunder hammers and cannot make combinations such as a xenophase Sword and storm shield. Edited by Lhorke

Q: There is a discrepency between the rules of Grapnel Launchers on the Intercessor dataslate (p.73) and the Grapnel Launchers entry in the summary of special wargear table on page 91. Which is the correct version to use? More specifically, what happens when taking a "Intercessors" troop choice consisting of 5 Intercessor models and 5 Reiver models with Grapnel Launchers and Combat Squading them into a "Intercessors" consisting of 5 Intercessor models and a seperate "Intercessors" unit consisting only of 5 Reiver models with Grapnel Launchers. Could the 5 Reivers now be set up "behind enemy lines" as per the Grapnel Launcher rules on page 91?

Q can the wargear options for the watch Captain be clarified. Should the bullet point read and/or? As written he must exchange both his weapons to gain access to wargear such as storm shields or thunder hammers or combinations such as a xenophase Sword and storm shield.

The rules as written sadly are pretty clear that its all or nothing. Its also clear that this is intentional as an "or" would not work as long as the "Deathwatch Equipment List" is used (as that list always allows taking two items. As hilarious as it would be to have a captain dualwielding a MC boltgun with a stormbolter or juggling three chainswords, I don't see GW allowing that). The only ways they could change this is by printing a seperate "Capatain Equipment List", which they seem to have decided against.  Might still be worth asking for an Errata, though I personally don't see them change it.

Also note that the combination xenophase sword and storm shield is not currently legal (as only Watch Sergeants are allowed to take the sword from the equipment list. The Captain can only combine the sword with a MC boltgun). This might be something that they could be more willing to change though (as it can be fixed by a single line).

1. Whoever has the rule "Special Issue Ammunition" on their datasheet can then look at the list of weapons relevant on page 64

I'm not saying there aren't answers to these, however they are definitely 'frequently asked questions' at the moment.

I'm not saying there aren't answers to these, however they are definitely 'frequently asked questions' at the moment.

The information is clear in the codex, it's just new and people aren't bothering to read it properly yet. It's doesn't need clarifying

The information is clear in the codex, it's just new and people aren't bothering to read it properly yet. It's doesn't need clarifying

Not sure this is helping. Doesn't hurt to send in questions, whatever you may think about how clear the answers are.

Sending them spam isn't helping. Pick important questions

Agree to disagree. Let's move on and stop derailing the thread with criticisms of other's questions though, eh? Be a good sport towards fellow watchers :biggrin.:

I would strongly urge people to send the Dominus Aegis question. A similar issue occurred with the T'au, so it's worth seeing if the same treatment can occur there. 

Edited by Lemondish

Let's move on and stop derailing the thread with criticisms of other's questions though, eh? Be a good sport towards fellow watchers :biggrin.:

Yes, please do.  I for one am happy to see the various issues in C: DW being addressed, no matter how minor.  I'm sure GW appreciates all of the feedback, as well.

Q: The Lore page for Apothecaries doesn't mention Primaris/oldies, but the data sheets seem to only offer Primaris: Where is the regular Apothecary?

Q: May DW Primaris Watch Captains wear Gravis armour?

Q: Do Deathwatch field Techmarines?

Q: Do Deathwatch field Ironclad Dreadnoughts?

Q: the banners illustrated on page (whichever page shows the banners), with no Ancients listed, who carries the flag?

Edited by Xisor

This just occurred to me, but a Thunder Hammer Captain can't proc the Death to the Alien Stratagem, can he? IE the -1 turns all the rolled 6's to 5's and nothing happens.

That is 100% correct. 

This just occurred to me, but a Thunder Hammer Captain can't proc the Death to the Alien Stratagem, can he? IE the -1 turns all the rolled 6's to 5's and nothing happens.

That is 100% correct.

Bummer. I can't think of many situations where that would even be useful then since that basically cuts out termies/aggressors from benefiting.

The low chance at a couple extra 1D attacks with power weapons/chainswords just doesn't feel worth a CP.

I guess a chaplain dread or Leviathan with CC Claws could still make use of it?

That is 100% correct.
Bummer. I can't think of many situations where that would even be useful then since that basically cuts out termies/aggressors from benefiting.

The low chance at a couple extra 1D attacks with power weapons/chainswords just doesn't feel worth a CP.

I guess a chaplain dread or Leviathan with CC Claws could still make use of it?

I keep forgetting, are modifiers added after effects like this and rerolls, or before?

If it triggers on an unmodified roll of 6 then it goes off under -1 to hit conditions.

If it just triggers on a 6+ then the -1 to hit modifier kicks in after Rerolls and turns the 6 into 5, preventing the extra attack from firing as it is rolled after working out the dice result.

Unmodified triggers generally don't have the + as they don't need them. Modified ones do to stop the odd situation of a 6 being turned into 7 but not counting.

If I decide to use the Castellan of the Black Vault warlord trait on my Watch Master's Guardian Spear, does the +1D apply to both of the weapon's profiles (Ranged & Melee), since it says "Add 1 to the Damage characteristic of one weapon carried by your Warlord." (the weapon he carries being the Guardian Spear), or do I have to pick one of them (since it says "characteristic", singular)?

I personally find the former rationalization more convincing (the Guardian Spear is one weapon, with two profiles), but I'd like clarification.

Is the price for the chainfist really appropriate? 22 points feels rather steep when compared to the Thunder Hammer's 16, when it's basically just a swap of 1AP for 1D. Shouldn't the chainfist's cost be adapted accordingly, at least for non-character models?

Edited by Zogash