Deathwatch FAQ collection thread

Qui-Gon

I have a few of them, though if it's been answered anywhere I'd love to see.

1.  A clarification on Index load outs and SIA, specifically librarians and chaplain with storm bolter (This was sort of mentioned in the op but comes at the question from a much different angle)

2.Combat squads and deep strike:  So there are two parts to this. 

2a)The kill team unit has the combat squad rule as well as the stratagem.  I just want to verify that this means that the process can be done for free during deployment and for CP during the game.

2b) The combat squad rule states that the split happens during during deployment.  Choosing units for the deep strike stratagem seems to happen during deployment as well.  While this may seem cheap, is there anything stopping you from first choosing a unit to deep strike, then split the unit up, giving you up to 6 deepstrikeing units?

3) Tempestus shells:  They get used on anything firing SIA, do we just use the base range of the weapon for this? or can we use Kraken round to get extra range?

4) Official documentation on the tactical reserve beta rule:  There is a small group on dakka that insists that nothing that is said on the GW facebook can be considered legal (I do not share this opinion, particularly in this case), including that graphic that was released to clarify that units starting on the table can use relocation items to start outside of the deployment zone. Since the Beacon Angelis should be able to do exactly that, (yes being tied to a character does limit it significantly) this mess does matter to the Deathwatch.

That all that comes to mind for now.

I have a few of them, though if it's been answered anywhere I'd love to see.

1. A clarification on Index load outs and SIA, specifically librarians and chaplain with storm bolter (This was sort of mentioned in the op but comes at the question from a much different angle)

It’s a special rule on the datasheet (you still use the codex datasheet when using index loadouts), so there is no reason for them not to get it.

2.Combat squads and deep strike: So there are two parts to this.

2a)The kill team unit has the combat squad rule as well as the stratagem. I just want to verify that this means that the process can be done for free during deployment and for CP during the game.

2b) The combat squad rule states that the split happens during during deployment. Choosing units for the deep strike stratagem seems to happen during deployment as well. While this may seem cheap, is there anything stopping you from first choosing a unit to deep strike, then split the unit up, giving you up to 6 deepstrikeing units?

The free combat squad happens before deployment, not during. So no, you have to first split the squad, then use the deepstrike stratagem.

4) Official documentation on the tactical reserve beta rule: There is a small group on dakka that insists that nothing that is said on the GW facebook can be considered legal (I do not share this opinion, particularly in this case), including that graphic that was released to clarify that units starting on the table can use relocation items to start outside of the deployment zone. Since the Beacon Angelis should be able to do exactly that, (yes being tied to a character does limit it significantly) this mess does matter to the Deathwatch.

I don’t think this will be cleared up until the rules come out of beta (after all it’s not an “official” rule yet at all, so I doubt they will make a statement in a codex FAQ), it might be worth poking then with it (to make them release an update of the beta rule faster). While the beta rule itself (without the Facebook post) can already be argued to allow redeployment, it’s not clearly spelled out and can be interpreted either way. I guess it might be worth opening a specific thread discussing this, but we should probably try not to derail this thread with a detailed discussion. I also fear anyone who accepts a beta rule as an “official” rule, but doesn’t accept the Facebook post as an official clarification will be willing to change his mind based on any arguments discussing semantics.

I'm new to DW ... question ... If I have 10 man veteran squad ... 5 vets, 4 bikes, 1 Vanguard ... and I combat squad them as suggested elsewhere in this forum ... do the 4 bikes and 1 Vanguard remain as troops?

I'm new to DW ... question ... If I have 10 man veteran squad ... 5 vets, 4 bikes, 1 Vanguard ... and I combat squad them as suggested elsewhere in this forum ... do the 4 bikes and 1 Vanguard remain as troops?

With the current rules yes, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the do an errata making this kind of combat squad illegal.

With the current rules yes, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the do an errata making this kind of combat squad illegal.

Dont see why they would.  Seems like a perfectly valid tactic that you have to spend a lot of points(and give up options) to make happen.  

But I would like clarification on how the Beacon Angelis works with the new Beta Deep Strike rules.  Are they limited by the new deep strike rules placement if they come from reserves? What about if they start on the table?(I know they said it doesnt count, but right now the rules dont say that so).

Is it intended that we cant keep our Mastercrafted bolter if we swap weapons on our captains?  It seems like an oversight that we have to give up the master-crafted option if we want to swap for other weapons(and are forced to take a regular bolter). 

Edited by leth

Thought of a new one:

If you're facing an Aledari army and an opponent uses one of their stratagems to bring in from reinforcements a Transport with the FLY keyword.
Can you then use both Auspex and Intercepting Volley against that unit?
Can you then use Intercepting Volley, if you kill the transport, and the unit is forced to disembark, can you then fire upon the unit with Ausepx Scan, since both count has having arrived as reinforcements?

Q: If you take a vet squad and add a bike, can it still use the teleportarium stratagem?

The unit is INFANTRY, but the rules only consider bike as BIKER for transport RAW

Q: If you add 5 bike to a veteran squad and combat squad the 5 bike and 5 vet, can you use the teleportarium Stratagem on the 5 bike squad? (the 5 bike will be troop with the INFANTRY keyword)

Q: If you add bike to a veteran squad  can you walk over the bike model with a titan/knight because they have the INFANTRY keyword?

Q: If a veteran squad consist only of bike due to casualty or combat squad, they have INFANTRY or BIKER keyword, both or none?

Q: why bike in vet squad only have the BIKER keyword for transport?

Q: If a veteran squad consist only of VV due to casualty or combat squad, are they consider to have the JUMP PACK and FLY keyword

What is the point of the teleportarium being specifically mentioned for the Beacon Angelis, since deep-striking from the teleportarium already works in a way that makes the Beacon redundant, i.e. at the end of the movement phase, setting up anywhere on the board no closer than 9" of enemy models?

All the Beacon does for units in the teleportarium is limit their deployment to within 6" of the bearer, with no benefit to make up for it whatsoever. What am I missing here?

What is the point of the teleportarium being specifically mentioned for the Beacon Angelis, since deep-striking from the teleportarium already works in a way that makes the Beacon redundant, i.e. at the end of the movement phase, setting up anywhere on the board no closer than 9" of enemy models?

All the Beacon does for units in the teleportarium is limit their deployment to within 6" of the bearer, with no benefit to make up for it whatsoever. What am I missing here?

In case you somehow play a mission that has different deepstrike rules?

In case you somehow play a mission that has different deepstrike rules?

Hmm, I guess that makes sense.

With the new rules you can use the Beacon on the first turn after moving a jumppack character and then put units closer to the enemy if necessary. Kind of like a small alpha strike...The unit in the teleportarium stays safe. You also cannot call in vanguard vets or other jumppack characters that are not being deployed via teleportarium. I guess that's the point...

Q : In the Angelis Beacon Rules, it states that you may use the beacon to deploy a unit that is in Teleportarium (or already on the battlefield but here it’s not the point I’d like to discuss).

What does this point or rule stand for? Indeed, a unit that is in the Teleportarium can, however, deploy within 6 » from the HQ and 9 » of an enemy unit without the beacon. So using the beacon in this situation is useless.

Do you have include this point of rule to overpass the Deep strike beta rule and therefore allow a unit to deep strike T1 out of its deployment zone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A few of these questions have already been addressed and aren't as confusing as I think they may appear. 

For instance, Death Watch Captain in TA CAN take twin lightning claws (selected separately for a total of 16pts) 

Another is the Intercessor Sergeant DOES contribute to the total amount of Intercessors required to field an auxiliary GL. So no worries there.  

The Terminators having a different points listing compared to the Terminators in the Space Marine Codex is due to the amount of diversity and weapons options available to the Deathwatch. I think the DW Terminators are fairly priced for what they can do.

As for the Dominus Aegis, i do agree that it may be the question worth asking. The rules state

"If the bearer does not move in the Movement Phase, then until the start of you next Movement Phase, friendly <DEATHWATCH> models within 6" etc.." -

As its worded it seems reasonable that the Aegis would not take effect seeing as it hasn't had a Movement Phase to "trigger" it. But if not, due to the Tau issue, (I assume the wording was the same) that would be a huge benefit. 

My contribution however would be: "Why do Deathwatch not have access to new Primaris Datasheets?" (I want a DW Watch Captain too, brothers)

A few of these questions have already been addressed and aren't as confusing as I think they may appear. 

For instance, Death Watch Captain in TA CAN take twin lightning claws (selected separately for a total of 16pts) 

Another is the Intercessor Sergeant DOES contribute to the total amount of Intercessors required to field an auxiliary GL. So no worries there.  

The Terminators having a different points listing compared to the Terminators in the Space Marine Codex is due to the amount of diversity and weapons options available to the Deathwatch. I think the DW Terminators are fairly priced for what they can do.

As for the Dominus Aegis, i do agree that it may be the question worth asking. The rules state

"If the bearer does not move in the Movement Phase, then until the start of you next Movement Phase, friendly <DEATHWATCH> models within 6" etc.." -

As its worded it seems reasonable that the Aegis would not take effect seeing as it hasn't had a Movement Phase to "trigger" it. But if not, due to the Tau issue, (I assume the wording was the same) that would be a huge benefit. 

My contribution however would be: "Why do Deathwatch not have access to new Primaris Datasheets?" (I want a DW Watch Captain too, brothers)

Sir, it might help you to be aware of the thread as a whole. This was created LAST YEAR, to gather and submit questions to GW for the 2 week FAQ for the Codex, as well as to act as a place to post future questions. Overall, if I am to be critical, your post has contributed nothing to the topic at hand, because there are no significant outstanding rules questions, and posting the answers from the FAQ that this thread was created to contribute to truly adds nothing to the discussion.

Sir, it might help you to be aware of the thread as a whole. This was created LAST YEAR, to gather and submit questions to GW for the 2 week FAQ for the Codex, as well as to act as a place to post future questions. Overall, if I am to be critical, your post has contributed nothing to the topic at hand, because there are no significant outstanding rules questions, and posting the answers from the FAQ that this thread was created to contribute to truly adds nothing to the discussion.

That is my bad, I didn't realize this thread was created last year. I had opened into new content and this is what popped up. I was addressing the conversation in regards to this upcoming FAQ (September 2019). As for being critical, I think a year ago, it would have contributed if that means anything at all. Thank you for addressing my comment however, as now i know I am a whole year late to the party! 

The point of FAQs is to ask for clarity on rules and intent, not to ask questions and get the pedantic "this is what the rule says, now go play it," answer.  Bringing up wording, ommitted sections, and other things that appear incorrect, and ask if this was intentionally ommitted or worded intentionally in that way. (see the case for the updated captain wargear and answers on certain other options.)

This was back when the book dropped and it was in preparation for the 2 week FAQ. A surprising number of things changed that first FAQ. Just looking at the state of the FAQ now will show you that not everything is cut and dry and GW has to make corrections.

The point of FAQs is to ask for clarity on rules and intent, not to ask questions and get the pedantic "this is what the rule says, now go play it," answer.  Bringing up wording, ommitted sections, and other things that appear incorrect, and ask if this was intentionally ommitted or worded intentionally in that way. (see the case for the updated captain wargear and answers on certain other options.)

This was back when the book dropped and it was in preparation for the 2 week FAQ. A surprising number of things changed that first FAQ. Just looking at the state of the FAQ now will show you that not everything is cut and dry and GW has to make corrections.

Absolutely, hence my confusion with some of the rules I stated clarification on (having seen what was clarified already by GW). That'll teach me to check dates on forums :facepalm:

Edited by Watcher

• 6 months later...

Double post justified to get this thread going in preparation for the April FAQ, in light of the new deathwatch rules.

1. Assault Bolters for Deathwatch in CA'19 are listed at 10 pts each, whereas they are 8 pts in other factions and was not changed in the CA'19 FAQ. Is this intentional?

2. The warp charge cost for Null Zone in Codex Space Marine is 7. The exact same power in Codex Deathwatch is 8. Is this intentional that they are different, or should they be the same?

3. Fury of the Ancients in Codex Deathwatch has a range of 3d6". The exact same power in Codex Space Marines is 12". Is it intentional that Deathwatch randomize the range, or should they be the same?

Any others folks?