30 archons for apocalypse?

Ranwulf

I am going to play a 5000 points apocalypse game this Sunday, and I am thinking about bringing Dark Eldar with a special list... 30 or more Archons. Do you guys think this is doable, or I am going to lack punch or something? I want to do it because 30 enemies with Inv save of 2+, hiding behind a few vechiles protecting them can make them quite terrifying to face, with a lot of blasters, and some good cc.

Ran

30 of anything seems a bit crazy, but wouldn't they be vulnerable to spam fire? In Apoc there's a lot of pop guns without many good targets usually so they'll probably be trained on your Archon horde. If they're hiding behind units they might struggle to do some damage of their own? Much depends on what else is on the table, and Apoc shouldn't be too serious so if you can I'd say go for it and see what happens. Don't forget pictures!

I am going to play a 5000 points apocalypse game this Sunday, and I am thinking about bringing Dark Eldar with a special list... 30 or more Archons. Do you guys think this is doable, or I am going to lack punch or something? I want to do it because 30 enemies with Inv save of 2+, hiding behind a few vechiles protecting them can make them quite terrifying to face, with a lot of blasters, and some good cc.

Ran

Is the shadow field no longer 1 per army? I'm presuming that's where the 2++ is from.

Otherwise, sounds fun!

Ran

Is the shadow field no longer 1 per army? I'm presuming that's where the 2++ is from.

Otherwise, sounds fun!

??? The shadow field is part of their regular wargear.

You should get 2 Tantalus to carry them around.

Gotta be honest, 30 archons doesn't sounds like a fun thing to use at all. Apocalypse is supposed to be a fun and less competitive battle,  while spamming 30 archons sounds too spammy and just a gamey trick to try and win. Plus it would make a long game already longer. Think about just having your opponent take the time to pick out who's attacking what archon in a melee. Plus on a narrative level 30 archons is just so wrong. 

Could it work? Maybe, +2 invul is going to be really annoying to deal with when hiding among your other units, but as half your army? Seems really uninteresting to me. 

Gotta be honest, 30 archons doesn't sounds like a fun thing to use at all. Apocalypse is supposed to be a fun and less competitive battle,  while spamming 30 archons sounds too spammy and just a gamey trick to try and win. Plus it would make a long game already longer. Think about just having your opponent take the time to pick out who's attacking what archon in a melee. Plus on a narrative level 30 archons is just so wrong. 

Could it work? Maybe, +2 invul is going to be really annoying to deal with when hiding among your other units, but as half your army? Seems really uninteresting to me. 

In 5th edition I had a friend who did the same thing, he used the Webway portal to get his archons through reserved in the middle of the table. It was honestly one of the coolest moments of 40K because of the feeling of "this badass is doing whatever he wants in the battlefield". Its actually the fastest and easiest way to play Apocalypse because it takes less time of movement, shooting and close combat compared to big huge units, and more importantly, its incredibly easy to transport.

We also use markers to make things easier.

Ran

Aren't archons pretty low strength? They may be individually relatively difficult to put down, but presumably in Apoc you are going to be facing some significant armor. Sure, it will be easy to hide some of those small, 2++ guys, but all they are really good at is killing infantry, and lets face it, in Apoc, everything is good at killing infantry.

In 5th edition I had a friend who did the same thing, he used the Webway portal to get his archons through reserved in the middle of the table. It was honestly one of the coolest moments of 40K because of the feeling of "this badass is doing whatever he wants in the battlefield". Its actually the fastest and easiest way to play Apocalypse because it takes less time of movement, shooting and close combat compared to big huge units, and more importantly, its incredibly easy to transport.

We also use markers to make things easier.

Ran

To each their own I suppose, but that badass element of one archon deepstriking in the middle of the battle is really degraded when you have 30 of them..plus you can only deep strike 2 archons tops, unless they all come down in their own personal venoms in which case you won't have pts for anything else and little options to deal with heavy armor. 

Plus unless you do actually own 30 archon models it's not going to be a great looking army. 

Do what you think is fun!  Apoc is all about over-the-top madness anyway, so I say enjoy the ride. :)

Just make sure to send us pics of your 30 Archons storming the enemy lines :D

Archons really aren't that great if not benefiting from a relic.

This seems pointless in every way and from all perspectives, whether it be gameplay, collecting and painting, or simply the pleasure of having a nice looking force on the table. It just fails in every category.

Ran

Otherwise, sounds fun!

??? The shadow field is part of their regular wargear.

You should get 2 Tantalus to carry them around.

My mistake - I last encountered DE in 3rd when it was a "1 archon in the army only" item. 

I'm amazed at how many in this thread are pooping all over the idea, or dont understand it.

Just do it, it'll be a short game, and fun.

I'm amazed at how many in this thread are pooping all over the idea, or dont understand it.

Just matters of opinion really, which are well and good for discussion.  At the end of the day, as long as we're discussing the idea and not attacking each other, the discourse is fine :)

So, the 30.000 points Apocalypse happened. 6 players, 5k points each. We played two tables, with special teleporting rules like MWG did a few weeks ago.

33109038_1900836236601716_2884850827447533192601_1900836259935047_24690993675842

33176109_1900842159934457_55632699874575

33063220_1900842343267772_11251027437326

33089696_1900842443267762_14728816646223

33063054_1900835796601760_50087323416657

I used 41 archons and they worked. They were not actually OP, but made them good to hold their side of the table and deal with so much stuff that was brought to the table, if they werent in the table there was very little way our team could deal with the opposite team warhound and 6 predators+Guilliman and the terminators.

I'd say this is actually one of the few ways you can properly play Dark Eldar in Apocalypse and not be completely razed from the game.

Ran

Absolutely lovely!  I may be doing a similar scheme on my DE going forward, so I'm glad to see it works out.  Though I doubt mine will be anywhere near as clean :P

Plus on a narrative level 30 archons is just so wrong. 

I understand where you're coming from. But if Vect commanded 30 archons to storm a battlefield without their kabal support then sure as hell those 30 Archons will do just that. 

Awesome pics by the way.

I guess the other way to look at it is that these aren't actually Archons, they're the most senior Trueborn, gathered from the various forces of the wider Kabal, brought together to absolutely wreck whatever comes in their way.

Honestly, the idea I had for them was a megalomania of my Archon hero that he doesnt trust his kabalites enough to not betray him in this major fight and he wanted to be the center piece of the conflict, so how does he achieve this? He get clones of himself to fight just like him, making him the reason the battle is won.

Ran

Archived