Starting Genestealer Cults

I am thinking about starting genestealer cults with a small guard battalion as a fun 2nd army for mostly casual games in the 1000-1500pts range. 

My plan for initial investment is getting the battleforce, 2 astra militarum start collecting boxes and 20-30 genestealers so I have something to work on until their codex is released.

Is that a solid plan or should I focus on getting more unique cult units first? I don't know much about how they play to be honest.

That sounds like a very good plan. But I would also recommend the battleforce generaler cult insurrection box.

Thats what I meant with battleforce. My flgs still has plenty of those. 

Do you think that Battleforce is still worth it for someone who already has the DeathWatch overkill boxed set: 

These are the GSC contents of the box:

- a Genestealer Primus, a Genestealer Magus and two Familiars;
- 2 Purestrain Genestealers, 4 Aberrants and 28 Genestealer Hybrids (12 Acolyte Hybrids of the 1st and 2nd generation and 16 Neophyte Hybrids of the 3rd and 4th generation);
- a massive Genestealer Patriarch;

Of course it depends on which kind of GSC army you want to but I tihnk it´s still worth it as you get many models to buff you allready existing units. And the extra HQ models can get some use, from battle to battle.

Thanks guys, this is a future army plan of mine because I already have IG and I love the rock grinder vehicles and the idea of “people” using miner equipment as weapons to revolt.

Yes, I totally agree. The GSC army (as one of few left with index rules) is not  a very strong army but it´s very cool and fun to play (but some times frustrating too). The whole look and feel is really good and they are classic villians that everyone wants tof ight and beat. and even if they get beaten, you know they will always come back :D also fun that you can mix in both IG and tyranids units. But I like the actually GSC models most, as the Goliath, the acolytes and neophytes :)  

They have strong "civilian army" potential, plus Lovecraft cultist feel, you can never truly go wrong!

For mine I will try to go for a Scientific Colony approach, as oppose to "mine" one... wait and see for them on the ETL outpost... (and maybe vow a little, just as you pass by^^ )

Archived