Deathwatch/40k newbie, fluff and tactics question

Sea Reaper

Hi fellow Xeno-killers, just getting back into the hobby for the first time since 3rd edition with Deathwatch. I had a few neophyte questions I was hoping veterans can answer.

1. Are Deathwatch allowed to paint any black parts of their armor? Like a Crimson Fist keeping a gauntlet red or Blood Angel vet keep g their helmet gold? I see in some official picks that apothecaries and librarians keep the white and blue on backpacks and sections of their chest.

2. What are generally the best choices for SIA? I figured hellfire for non-vehicles I'd have trouble wounding, and Kraken or Vengeance bolts for most anything else depending on range, but I honestly have not played enough to know what they're best doing.

3. I want to run an all Primaris army except for maybe a few characters I can't get from them like Watch Masters and Jump Pack characters. I see myself running a lot of Fortis kill-teams with at least one Aggressor. I don't know which Aggressor loadout is best for a squad's role. When should I use boltstorm or flame?

I appreciate any advice. I know the Codex just released but you're all still better equipped than I to answer these questions. I look forward to getting building and getting purging :)

First question, it is your army and you can paint it how you wish. Looking at the models from the Killteam Cassius box, each model bears extra additions that mark their chapter of origin. So I'd say go for it.

SIA is something you'll need to get practice with. I usually go for Hellfire rounds if it is T4 or greater, but then, if they have a good armor save, vengeance rounds might be better. I use kraken rounds only when I need the extra range. Dragonfire rounds are the least used, see the thread discussing them, it's a good one.

Aggressors would depend on the roll, the killteam has. Up close and at risk of being charged, I'd use the flamer option, helps with overwatch. Botlers for midrange and heavy weapons killteams you might want to be mobile.

While an all Primaris army is possible, don't overlook the great units like bikers and the good old veteran killteam, they can add great flexibility to your army.

If it hasn't already been said, welcome to B&C! :)

MadEdric has you covered on most points, but I'll put in my own ideas here:

1.  DW in general are a very conversion/painting scheme flexible army.  FWIW, as long as you've got the shoulderpads right, I've seen lovely schemes in grey, all metallic or even gold (eat it, Custodes glory-boys!).  Even if you DON'T like the DW shoulderpad (heresy, IMO :P), going for a chapter like Red Hunters is still an option that would make plenty of sense in this situation.

2.  SIA is exactly that, special issue.  You'll want each type of ammo for a "special" situation, whether it's punching through high Saves or dealing with high Toughness targets.  In general, I'd agree that the best two rounds are Hellfire and Vengeance, in that order, but remembering what each type does AND how it affects the Bolt weapon in question is critical.  The Storm Bolter's lack of AP definitely increases the value of Vengeance and Kraken rounds, for example, while in contrast the Bolt Rifle's innate AP -1 means it doesn't need these rounds quite as much (though AP-3 with Vengeance is crazy good in some situations).

3.  Primaris Deathwatch (PrimaWatch around these parts) is a new aspect in the DW arsenal and one that has not really been fully tested as of yet.  For the most part, it's an excellent inclusion that gives DW better weight of wounds and staying power than the "glass cannon" Veterans et al., without the drastic cost increases of Terminators and Bikers.  Just keep in mind that the two elements don't "blend" smoothly in some ways, most particularly Dedicated Transports.  Also note that Primaris Characters have better stat lines but are notably more restricted in Wargear than their non-Primaris (OldMarines, to some) counterparts, and be sure to take this into account when considering your builds.

I look forward to seeing your Watch Company take shape, so please post your progress here if you have the time/inclination! :)

If it hasn't already been said, welcome to B&C! :smile.:

MadEdric has you covered on most points, but I'll put in my own ideas here:

1.  DW in general are a very conversion/painting scheme flexible army.  FWIW, as long as you've got the shoulderpads right, I've seen lovely schemes in grey, all metallic or even gold (eat it, Custodes glory-boys!).  Even if you DON'T like the DW shoulderpad (heresy, IMO :tongue.:), going for a chapter like Red Hunters is still an option that would make plenty of sense in this situation.

2.  SIA is exactly that, special issue.  You'll want each type of ammo for a "special" situation, whether it's punching through high Saves or dealing with high Toughness targets.  In general, I'd agree that the best two rounds are Hellfire and Vengeance, in that order, but remembering what each type does AND how it affects the Bolt weapon in question is critical.  The Storm Bolter's lack of AP definitely increases the value of Vengeance and Kraken rounds, for example, while in contrast the Bolt Rifle's innate AP -1 means it doesn't need these rounds quite as much (though AP-3 with Vengeance is crazy good in some situations).

3.  Primaris Deathwatch (PrimaWatch around these parts) is a new aspect in the DW arsenal and one that has not really been fully tested as of yet.  For the most part, it's an excellent inclusion that gives DW better weight of wounds and staying power than the "glass cannon" Veterans et al., without the drastic cost increases of Terminators and Bikers.  Just keep in mind that the two elements don't "blend" smoothly in some ways, most particularly Dedicated Transports.  Also note that Primaris Characters have better stat lines but are notably more restricted in Wargear than their non-Primaris (OldMarines, to some) counterparts, and be sure to take this into account when considering your builds.

I look forward to seeing your Watch Company take shape, so please post your progress here if you have the time/inclination! :smile.:

Nothing wrong here, but I'd like to add one or two things.

1. I can't stress how cool this is. It also opens up opportunities for you to pick up models that are technically built for other Space Marine armies and make them part of your force. If you like the look of a Blood Angels Primaris Lieutenant for instance, feel free to add him to your Deathwatch army as a Sergeant or Captain - just as long as he has that DW shoulderpad, he'll fit in perfectly fine. You won't be able to use any of the rules for any special characters from another Chapter, but you can certainly use the model to add some great variety to your force if you so choose.    

2. You'll want to consider Kraken almost equally to the other 2 when you factor in distance to the target. For rapid fire weapons, it's way better to be able to trigger your 2 shots further away with Kraken than to fire 1 shot of Hellfire/Vengeance. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it) there are very few times where Dragonfire is worth using.

3.  Just as Vel'Cona mentioned, it's important to know that Primaris bring with them unique strengths AND weaknesses, and there aren't as many ways to limit those weaknesses given their limited wargear options.

Thank you everyone. A big part of this is that I really do love Primaris so I'm ready to accept their weaknesses just because I enjoy the army concept. I asked about the colore because this is equally fun project and a way for me to slowly try new things and paints. For example, I intend to make every single model in my army from a different Chapter with no repeats. So I want to start with ones that are more likely to lack crazy details and branch out.

Primaris kill teams woohoo

Anyway excitement over, the strategems let you DS units and aggressors & inceptors have an 18" range, from playing Dark Angels the bolter aggressors dropping in are going to be a tactic random shots on flamers even auto hitting are too random, plasma on the inceptors + re-roll 1 support so you can overheat them.

I really think mixed units in the teleportarium is going to be flavourful and fun

SIA choice depends, to get the best out of it takes practice not just with your army but getting to know your opponents, you've range for double tap, opponents save and toughness etc..

Plus the ability of add Hellblazer to your intercessor units makes them a much more flexible shooting unit. 5 intercessors, one bolt storm aggressor and 4 Hellblasters with heavy plasma incinerators is a unit that I intent to play around with!

Plus the ability of add Hellblazer to your intercessor units makes them a much more flexible shooting unit.

Thank you for letting me picture John Constantine in power armour, wielding a plasma weapon and smoking a cig. :D

Archived