Anticipation For Rules: Index Talons Of The Emperor

I wouldn’t be surprised if the bikes were something like the difference between scout bikes and normal bikes in the space marine codex. The scouts can move faster but are more lightly armed whereas the normal bikers are slightly slower but compensate by being able to take heavier weapons and they have an improved armour save. It’s quite a small difference but it’s enough to give each type it’s niche.

I think making he FW bikes more of an anti-armour platform, perhaps with reduced speed, might help separate them from the normal bikes.

Well hetaeron are disgusting in 30k. Especially when paired with a shield captain. They don't however currently have models. So i would be surprised if they ported rules to 8th for them. Especially since we dont have paragon blades either.

Aquilons are amazing and likely if point costed correctly will be amazing in 8th too. We know their likely to get the teleport ability, possibly even the first native 3++.

The Bolter profile can be found in beta rules and while its a little underwhelming (since in 7th if it penned a tank it was devastating if i recall).

Adrathic weapons could be turned into fancy melta guns and I would be plenty happy to get some back field anti tank. Maybe they will have less attacks but being able to take boosted strength lightening claws or powerfists of doom should prove amazing. You will butcher hordes of things if they do the flamer profile right too (hoping for a 12 inch flamer to represent the torrent rule).

On that note does anyone else feel flamers are still vastly underpowered? I was really hoping for something like d6+xd3 where x is every 5 models in a unit. The extended range we can expect should also deter charges from chaff units and put a hurt on elites trying to take them down.

That would really crank up their purpose instead of just crossing fingers for a high roll.

I definitely feel flamers are underpowered. They’re also costed like they’re this doomsday weapon that’ll annihilate whole squads.

They would have to be given an amazing profile for me to take them on Terminators in 8th. Largely because you pay a lot for the auto-hitting when Custodes pretty much auto hit with everything anyway, particularly if there’s a captain nearby. Sadly I don’t think they’ll get extended range if they also get deep strike.

Flamers in general should be less random in their shot number. Something like 3 + D3 for every 5 models in the target unit.

• 2 months later...

Apparently the Imperial Armour is delayed to focus entirely on Malevolence and show more 30k support. That's good and valid. Shame about the Imperial Armour though. I was excited for it being soon.

They said they'll probably keep posting PDF rules and taking feedback before release though

Apparently the Imperial Armour is delayed to focus entirely on Malevolence and show more 30k support. That's good and valid. Shame about the Imperial Armour though. I was excited for it being soon.

They said they'll probably keep posting PDF rules and taking feedback before release though

Shame it’s delayed but anything that gives more support to 30K is ok by me.

A bit of a long shot but did they say anything about the feedback we’ve given so far for the pdf rules?

Shame it’s delayed but anything that gives more support to 30K is ok by me.

A bit of a long shot but did they say anything about the feedback we’ve given so far for the pdf rules?

This is all just word of mouth from the Talons Facebook group, so no word on feedback :/

I'm worried that the Forge World rules will upset the balance of the Custodes (i.e. their rules will be so good you'd be sacrificing an advantage by not taking them). I don't think the Forge World models should be "Pay to Win". That said, they look awesome and I'm looking forward to the final rules for the Telemon!

I'm worried that the Forge World rules will upset the balance of the Custodes (i.e. their rules will be so good you'd be sacrificing an advantage by not taking them). I don't think the Forge World models should be "Pay to Win". That said, they look awesome and I'm looking forward to the final rules for the Telemon!

I wouldn’t worry too much, the beta rules they’ve released are pretty underwhelming, especially for the points cost. They’re not terrible but they’re not good either. I think that’s the case with most Forgeworld rules this edition, certainly a lot of the space marine stuff, it’s very expensive (points wise) and pretty underwhelming.

The only reason some of the FW stuff might become an auto-include is simply because it fills a role you can’t get in the normal models such as a flyer or long range anti-armour.

I don’t think they’re bad, just underwhelming, I would also say they are more than a little overcosted for how quickly they die.

Either way, I definitely wouldn’t think anyone would consider them overpowered like a lot of FW stuff used to be or even like their 30k equivalents can be accused of. I wouldn’t say that they offer a massive advantage over the codex units, other than the simple fact they fit a role that simply doesn’t exist in the codex.

The main reason I want to use them is just because the models are so amazing whereas the GW contemptor dread is terrible :)

0 interest in the indexes because they allways nerf things

A little baseless, no?

This is very different kind of index, and not something we've yet seen for 8th edition.

Remember the last indexes were pretty much rushed out the door in a month or so as FW had it dropped on them they needed to have rules for everything day one.

These rules have clearly been playtested a lot more and have had community feedback too.

My typhon was nerfed in cost and ap on the index then nearly doubled in cost on the chapter approved. I bought a telemon true but custodes are nearly an instalose

There’s no doubt that CA felt like an unwarranted, petty and almost spiteful attack on FW units by GW proper. Some of the points increases were just laughable.

However, I am more optimistic about these rules. For a start, they’re testing them and accepting feedback and secondly, they’re being done by FW whereas chapter approved was done by GW. They could be the first set of FW rules in 8th that are actually good and make the units worth taking.

Archived