White Consuls: Reboot 2 Electric Boogaloo

Axineton

Looking a bit rough round the edges but a bit of progress. Primed them yesterday with stynylrez primer that only takes about 10 mins from airbrush to miniature to dry and then went with two basecoats of Ulthuan grey. And the shoulder pads and Sergeants helmet are Wazzdakka red. I'll do a bit more later if I get time.

V37foSol.jpg

For recesses shall I use nuln oil, Agrax earthshade or a micron pen???

Nuln oil will look cleaner, but cold. Agrax earthshade will look a bit more dirty but warm. I've started to prefer Agrax over Nuln but I use both. A micron Pen should only be used if you aren't confident in your shading. I don't recommend them anymore. They were more of a benefit when inks were harder to come by.

Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve gone with agrax. I’m not confident with the recesses at all cos it’s so finicky but I suppose I can clean up afterwards. I’m sure that’s what the pros do isn’t it?

Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve gone with agrax. I’m not confident with the recesses at all cos it’s so finicky but I suppose I can clean up afterwards. I’m sure that’s what the pros do isn’t it?

It's what I do. I'll show you both my finished products.

here is agrax on the shield.

gallery_92746_14190_695519.jpg

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Not done a bean this week till yesterday when I found time to paint one of the Assault squad. Gotta get my bum in gear for Grotsmashas challenge.

rhm6rhgl.jpg

oNQUk4Pl.jpg

RwAayjSl.jpg

Got a long way to go till these are finished but I'm hoping to have the squad done in the next two weeks if I get time to paint every night.

• 11 months later...

Been a very long time since I’ve updated this log or in fact actually done any of the painting part of the hobby. But today made a start on a Primaris Ancient and to get me to be in the mood to paint him I pledged to grotsmashas 2020 hobby challenge for January. 

Assembled and primed by airbrush with stynylrez black primer. I’ll get more done hopefully this evening. 

RzM7oRTh.jpg

I think you are off to a good start here with a solid basecoat, nice and smooth. Have you tried the contrast paints at all for the shading?

Cheers mate! No not tried them at all, this is the first bit of painting I've done in a year so not got round to buying any or using any.

Made a little progress today with the ancient. Decided for my veterans and the ancient I’m going to give them blue helmets. I can’t find anything online about the consuls colour scheme and officers colour scheme other than they are inverse of the ultramarines so I’m going with this I think. 

Needs a lot of work still and the banner I’m dreading. I want to put the chapter symbol in the middle but my decals sizes are either the shoulder pad size or a redemptor dreadnought size decal which doesn’t fit in the circle whereas the the shoulder pad one looks too small!! 

FVRRmYQh.jpg

cncMNhrh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! Got fed up with this guy. That banner is seriously hard to paint and it killed my mojo bigtime! I wish GW left these banners flat so we could add our own art etc if if there was rippples and creases in it. 

617bRr4.jpg

hB3sLxdh.jpg

Edited by Axineton

• 1 month later...

These look great, brother! You're a braver man than I for painting an army that is primarily white. I'll tell you that, if you're planning on an entire army, you should absolutely pick up some Tamiya Panel Liner. I used it to test out a White Scar, and it was incredibly easy to work with. This was Tamiya Dark Grey, but I imagine their light grey might work better. It's an oil based wash that can be "erased" using mineral spirits. Touchups made easy.

Lo15hny.jpg?1

Edited by Brother Scorpirus

How do you apply the panel liner ? Looks snazzy as heck !

Straight from the pot with a brush (I would have tried the actual brush that is inside of the pot, but the damn head fell into the liner in transit, and I haven't fished it out haha.) It works incredibly well with a light touch and a medium sized brush!

Oh I can’t wait to get some of this saucy sauce !!! Do they have any that works well with black ?

I love Taimya.

Do you mean any that might outline black armor? If so, they have a light grey that borders on a white, but I have no idea how they would interact.

• 3 months later...

After searching round the web for lore etc on the White Consuls for official colours of Veterans I found this in my Ultramarines codex from 2nd edition I think but unsure. It’s a pic of a 4th company Consul and the description states that vets have blue helms. Wonder what sergeants have?? I was thinking when I paint some more I might do the sergeants helmets green but not sure that’s inverse to red. Wish there was more about them and their colour schemes but I guess that’s the fun of creating your own fluff or expanding on existing fluff. 

jj6gOBZl.jpg

Edited by Axineton

• 2 years later...

So this guy has been announced and is the perfect miniature to get me back on this project properly after Christmas.

I have some Primaris stuff to build and will start slowly in the new year. 

2D44287A-61FB-4904-BB55-1FE4D9C47052.jpeg

Edited by Axineton