Detachments

Just wanted to say hello to everyone in this forum. Been reading for over a year but now I have seen a few posts recently I wanted to reply to so time to exit from the shadows.

I have been finalising my army and finally started painting them. I am definitely a builder first and a painter second.

One thing I have been trying to finalise, especially with the changes in the Big Faq, was my detachments. I chose my Forgeworlds back in seventh because I am a bit of a Heretic and I like Cawl and Stygies because nothing has ever gone wrong fiddling with Xenos tech...

So i have the normal Cawl Gun line but also have Stygies for Dragoons, Electro-Priests and Vanguard, hopefully in the future I will transition to Armigers too if they give us a CC version.

I was looking at the detachments and at least one Battalion is solid but the second detachment for me is still not decided. I originally tried a second Battalion and I was able to fill it, but similar with the brigade I found I was taking huge amounts of troops in exchange for a Dunecrawler and one Dakka Bot. If I change this to a Spearhead I almost remove all the Troops for heavier units but I loose 4 whole CP.

How important is it for the Troop tax for 4 more CP?

Mars(Spearhead)

Cawl

Dakka Bots(x3)

Dunecrawlers x3

Destroyers(For Stratagem and something different)

Stygies(Battalion)

Tech-Priest(Goes up with Plasma Vanguard)

Enginseer

Vanguard(x10), Plasma

Ranger, Arqubus x2

Dragoon x3

Electro-Priest x9

Vs ---

Mars(Battalion)

Cawl

Enginseer

Dakka Bots(x3)

Dunecrawlers x2

Destroyers

Rangers x2

Stygies(Battalion)

Enginseer

Enginseer

Vanguard x7, Plasma

Vanguard x5

Vanguard x5

Dragoon x3

Electro-Priest x8

Dunecrawler

How important is it for the Troop tax for 4 more CP?

Depends on what you're going to do with all that CP.  If your gameplan hinges around the Mars Strategem (ie. lots of spamming firepower to force mortal wounds out) then you'll probably want no less than 8, and more like 10.  On the other hand, if you only need it to Infiltrate/Deep Strike a few dudes (Stygies VIII or Lucius), then having a pile of CP may not go as far.

Archived