Kitbashing terminators and veterans

Ceranidian

Hi guys, 40k beginner here looking for advice

So I'm planning purchases to expand my tiny (for now) Deathwatch army, and like pretty much everyone is I'm now looking for good ways to get my hands on stormbolter vets. One idea that crossed my mind was using the FW terminator upgrade kits that come with combi-bolters, which are more or less storm bolters. Since I'm also considering giving my vets power axes instead of the more commonly suggested chainswords (unless this is a bad idea?) a kit like https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Legion-Tartaros-Terminator-Power-Axe-Set would be an awesome solution. 

However, I'm a bit worried about proportions. Does anyone know how well Tartaros/Cataphractii hands matches MkVIII power armour? Will they look ridiculous or can it work?

Chainswords are suggested because it is a free attack for free so they should be on Vets even if they are long range shooters. Power weapons are 4-5 points per model so they add up fast. With 5 vets that's 25 points so an extra frag cannon/~Vet. But if you know your going to get close with high AP(2+, 3+, 4+) models with a toughness of four then axes are great because its strength allows hit rolls of 3 rather than 4.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I see why chainswords are the more common (and probably better) choice, I guess I could search for some on eBay. But regardless; do you know if Tartaros terminator hands work on power armour arms? Could be useful knowledge for future kitbashing!

I've heard rumors it could also be good sticking to GW parts if you want to play in GW stores. Is there any truth to this?

Depends on the Store, officially not I think but some Manager may allow it depending on how noticeable/unnoticeable the bits are.

From memory the plastic Tartaros hands on the storm bolters are a tad large but the forgeworld looks slightly smaller in that picture, you can also always cut the hand away and use plastic normal marine hands.

If you want really fancy storm bolters that are GW/FW have a look at these https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Alpha-Legion-Head-Hunter-Kill-Team-Upgrade-Set

Unfortunately they do not come as a separate pack of just the bolters.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I see why chainswords are the more common (and probably better) choice, I guess I could search for some on eBay. But regardless; do you know if Tartaros terminator hands work on power armour arms? Could be useful knowledge for future kitbashing!

I've heard rumors it could also be good sticking to GW parts if you want to play in GW stores. Is there any truth to this?

I think it is easy to with a sharp scalpel cut the hands from the stormbolters and then glue on regular marine hands. As long as the blade is thin and sharp and you're careful it is a piece of cake - and looks a ton better then one large hand and one regular sized one on a marine.

The hands seem like they were made to grasp onto the weapons you were suggesting. Have you bought from them?

They were made to grasp on to them. No, I've not bought from them. He does post here on the B&C though and other WIPs have used his products. He also has a Facebook page.

I'm using Grey Knights left arms with the wrist mounted storm bolter.

Got some cool ideas for conversions.

From Paladins or Strike Squads?

Strike Squads.

I'm going to end up using most of the kit and not build a single actual Grey Knight.

One thing I noticed though: Battlescribe gives me the option for power lances, but they aren't in the Codex. Can I assume they are an Index option, and thus legal to still use? I don't have the Marine Index. My Raven Guard got their Codex first so I didn't need it.

One thing I noticed though: Battlescribe gives me the option for power lances, but they aren't in the Codex. Can I assume they are an Index option, and thus legal to still use? I don't have the Marine Index. My Raven Guard got their Codex first so I didn't need it.

Yup, they're an Index option.  Same with Storm Bolters on Librarians/Chaplains, AFAIK

Strike Squads.

I'm going to end up using most of the kit and not build a single actual Grey Knight.

The one issue I felt I'd have with the Strike Squad kit was the number of arms that were holding something else rather than being in a position that looked like they were aiming to fire the Storm Bolter. When mixed with the vet kits, how do they look?

My other ideas were to just just add a second barrel to every DW bolter, or try to find a way to make the Paladin stormbolters work for me. 

Strike Squads.

The one issue I felt I'd have with the Strike Squad kit was the number of arms that were holding something else rather than being in a position that looked like they were aiming to fire the Storm Bolter. When mixed with the vet kits, how do they look?

My other ideas were to just just add a second barrel to every DW bolter, or try to find a way to make the Paladin stormbolters work for me.

That's not going to be an issue for me. Most of the halberds are held in a 2 handed grip, so it will work for me.

I'm thinking 4 Veterans with power lances and storm bolters or storm shields (at least 2) and a Black Shield with a lance and shield. I'm also thinking on using the crested helmets from the upgrade kit for the 4 Vets.

Strike Squads.

My other ideas were to just just add a second barrel to every DW bolter, or try to find a way to make the Paladin stormbolters work for me.

The bit store I bought mine from didn't throw in the stormbolter clips that slide in on the side. So also take note of that when looking.

Strike Squads.

so are you using the halberds as power lances? 

I would just get a box of sternguard.  You will get a set of storm bolters and combi weapons, plus a whole bunch of fancy bits to customize your killteams with.

That kit only comes with 2 storm bolters, right? 

That is correct.

I would just get a box of sternguard.  You will get a set of storm bolters and combi weapons, plus a whole bunch of fancy bits to customize your killteams with.

Yep. I was considering the Sternguard kit at first but seeing as it only comes with 2 storm bolters that's a bit too expensive to arm 10 or more veterans. 

Yep. I was considering the Sternguard kit at first but seeing as it only comes with 2 storm bolters that's a bit too expensive to arm 10 or more veterans. 

Unfortunately everybody seems to have already bought up a ton of the Sternguard bolters on the secondary market. Trying to find a cost effective way to get storm bolters is proving to be a pain lol

Maybe I can just add a second barrel to all of those sweet massive box mag bolters the Sternguard have - I think the most important attribute of storm bolters is that they have two barrels after all, so I suppose I could do the same with the great looking baseline DW bolters. There's just something awesome about bulky box mags, though. 

On the topic of using Grey Knight Strike Squads as a storm bolter source, how do the models compare scale wise to DW vets? For instance if I were to grab a Strike Squad box and slap the DW shoulder pads on them, would they look right standing next to the regular veterans?

I'm under the impression the Vets were slightly bigger than the rest of the (non primaris) SM range.

Archived