Kitbashing terminators and veterans

Ceranidian

On the topic of using Grey Knight Strike Squads as a storm bolter source, how do the models compare scale wise to DW vets? For instance if I were to grab a Strike Squad box and slap the DW shoulder pads on them, would they look right standing next to the regular veterans?

I'm under the impression the Vets were slightly bigger than the rest of the (non primaris) SM range.

My vets are 5o% gk parts. Mostly torsos and legs. But when I make stormbolters I will go that route. However be mindful they would all be uniformed and I dont think unique which is one of the reasons you get DW. Not to mention some of the legs say daemon & smite.

I'm using Grey Knights left arms with the wrist mounted storm bolter.

Got some cool ideas for conversions.

From Paladins or Strike Squads?
Strike Squads.

I'm going to end up using most of the kit and not build a single actual Grey Knight.

One thing I noticed though: Battlescribe gives me the option for power lances, but they aren't in the Codex. Can I assume they are an Index option, and thus legal to still use? I don't have the Marine Index. My Raven Guard got their Codex first so I didn't need it.

so are you using the halberds as power lances?

Indeed.

On the topic of using Grey Knight Strike Squads as a storm bolter source, how do the models compare scale wise to DW vets? For instance if I were to grab a Strike Squad box and slap the DW shoulder pads on them, would they look right standing next to the regular veterans?

I'm under the impression the Vets were slightly bigger than the rest of the (non primaris) SM range.

The legs are shorter, but everything else matches up perfectly.

I think for the most part they are the same size but all the extra engraving might look weird if you just slap DW pads on grey knights

I fail to see the problem. The engravings are virtually of the same kind DW use, =I= logos too, and words like 'hate' or 'smite' are found on DW pads in official art so complaining about them being on the armour is kinda weird...

I think for the most part they are the same size but all the extra engraving might look weird if you just slap DW pads on grey knights

I fail to see the problem. The engravings are virtually of the same kind DW use, =I= logos too, and words like 'hate' or 'smite' are found on DW pads in official art so complaining about them being on the armour is kinda weird...

On pads, exactly, not all over the models, I'm not saying it would look bad just a bit out of place next to regular vets

I've been thinking of buying the Grey Knight Terminator box to use as my regular termies with weapon + SB. From a fluff standpoint would the Grey Knights ever join/fight with Deathwatch? Reason I ask is for modelling purposes would I run with the Deathwatch/Grey Knight pads or go Deathwatch/other chapters.

On pads, exactly, not all over the models, I'm not saying it would look bad just a bit out of place next to regular vets

Actually, if you look at Artemis, or KT Cassius, it is all over the models. See Cassius himself, with GK style single line engraving on both his left arm and right pad:

01-07.jpg

Just say it's DW pattern Mk VI armour (as besides the helmets and the gorget GK plate is nearly identical to Mk VI) and call it a day...

Actually, if you look at Artemis, or KT Cassius, it is all over the models. See Cassius himself, with GK style single line engraving on both his left arm and right pad:

01-07.jpg

Just say it's DW pattern Mk VI armour (as besides the helmets and the gorget GK plate is nearly identical to Mk VI) and call it a day...

Apropos of nothing - too bad Cassy and his Blood Raven librarian buddy don't have any special rules in this codex...

Apropos of nothing - too bad Cassy and his Blood Raven librarian buddy don't have any special rules in this codex...

Discussion is here, brother: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/347213-anyone-feel-like-theres-missing-units/

Ah, yes. Cheers!

Back to kitbashing - I'm still just proxying in my storm bolters (hell, I'm proxying everything at this point - my production line has stalled). Finding some from a source that doesn't break the bank has been a pain. I'm now looking at the Forgeworld Alpha Legion headhunter upgrade set again: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Alpha-Legion-Head-Hunter-Kill-Team-Upgrade-Set

I'd get some alpha legion bits I don't need, or maybe seek out the bolters on bits sites...the cool thing is that the big heavy magazines they have look to have the same style boxyness that the ammo selectors on the DW bolters have. 

I am of course waiting until the FAQ to confirm that storm bolters remain an option for Veterans.

Related - check out Delta.Skies topic here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/347552-yautja-kill-team-wip/ Sweet ideas for kitbashing xenos bits on your DW as trophies. 

Personally, I think the Grey Knights can look really good as Deathwatch, with a little kitbashing and addition of more Deathwatch specific details... including some Xenos trophies (for intimidation purposes of course).

I put these fellas together awhile ago and think they fit in pretty well!

That "box o skulls" from GW is a pretty great addition to the bits box.

Two thoughts about storm bolters

First with the way GW has been rapidlt updating points I'd probably wait before I got too invested in storm bolters for point efficiency sake

Second if you do want to do storm bolters I'm a fan of the over under style ones that forge world sells for alpha legion

Hey guys and gals check out these new these brand new DW stormbolters from Pop Goes the Monkey:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RGZQB5QWZ/10x-xenos-hunters-blitzpistol-5-left-5-right?li=shareProduct

Anybody use things from shapeways before? I'm concerned they'd be really rough.
I ordered some shoulder pads and shoulder icons. The icons were marvelous. Fit perfectly and looked great. The shoulder pads look good from a distance, but the smooth or flat areas of them show that they were printed with an odd texture that even shows thru painting. I doubt there has been much improvement on that issue, and for areas with detail nearby sanding isn't really an option.

Archived